StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions cross knee release issues

• cross knee release issues

Posted by michaelaarghh on March 21, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Have searched through past  topics for this, but was unable to find anything that was really relevant. 

Okay, so I accidentally was able to do CKR a few months ago. I felt secure, and all was fine. 

We've started working on them in class and I can't get it anymore! I feel like I've lost all security in the knee hold! I'm not sure whether this is to do with difference in pole types (40mm chrome at home, 37mm brass at studio) but I feel really insecure. 

Is there a trick to turning out the crossed leg or something that I'm missing? Where abouts should the pole sit? i.e. running up the leg or closer to the knee? 

I'm also not sure if this is a mental thing, because when my teacher spotted me she said I felt secure, and had enough of a 'lock' there. But I feel like I'm going to slip. 

I'm really not even sure if this is making any sense, but I'd love some feedback and ideas on what to try. 

spicyjc3655 replied 10 years ago 10 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Kaylie

March 21, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Ugh!! I am having the same issue. I never have had it but when spotted in class I don’t feel secure. My instructor says I am secure but it scares me!! I think for me is just going backwards!! It is scary

• chemgoddess1

March 21, 2012 at 8:00 pm

On the cross knee you really need to have the crossed foot pointing back at your shoulder.  The pole rests in the bend of the knee.  If you are sitting in a chair cross the legs like you would for this release and try to bring that foot as close to your hip as you can with as little gap as possible…this is pretty much the same position you need to be in.

And yes, a smaller pole will make this more difficult.

• nymphdancer

March 21, 2012 at 8:13 pm

just point your toes more then I do in my pic lol old picture but one of my few pole ones.

• Veena

Administrator
    March 21, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I would suggest working on this from the floor first…then move on to descending from the pole. This will allow you to mess around with the placement of the leg while safely on the floor! If either of you are taking the lessons here is the link, it will show you how to try it from the floor. https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4caf25bf-69d8-4029-94d5-42540ac37250

• Kyrsten

March 22, 2012 at 12:17 am

Additionally, something I noticed teaching this move last week: sometimes I see people not fully straightening the extended leg and that seems to compromise grip in the CKR. It's not just the crossed leg doing all the work… make sure you're engaging the extended leg as well. Try flexing your feet to start out as well, I find that gives a more secure grip with the laybacks.

• michaelaarghh

April 2, 2012 at 1:22 am

Chem, that was actually really helpful. I wasn't sure where the pole was supposed to be for me to get the "lock", but last week was experimenting and had it right in the crook of my knee and felt the most secure I have so far!!

I think this was the issue, because as soon as I had this it all seemed to "click" if you get me? Kyrelle, thanks for the tip! I think I already had my leg really straight and was squeezing pretty tightly, because my teacher when spotting me kept assuring me I was safe, but I didn't feel it? So I think it was just how far I was crossing that knee over!

Thanks so much for all your help ladies!

• ronia

April 2, 2012 at 2:36 am

My tip would be: don't let go of your hands before you feel completely secure with the lock on the nook of your knee and thighs. First tilt back, still holding the pole, so you can feel the lock on your legs. Your straight leg should be really straight and your bent leg should be really bent and tense (toes pointed, etc.). Then put one hand on the pole behind you and let go of your top hand. It may take some time before you will be able to do the CKR or CAR without hands. If you feel you are slipping consider putting some grip aid on your legs. And definately a slimmer pole might be the issue here so you just have to squeeze your legs much harder.

• michaelaarghh

April 2, 2012 at 5:59 am

That's pretty much how we've been taught to do it ronia…we do the tilt back thing, and take our arms off, but hold them in front of us, over our legs so we're sort of semi-sit up. 

I think a lot of girls were getting discouraged becasue they weren't letting go yet, but my teacher pointed out that sitting with arms strethced out, and just feeling secure in the lock is awesome for ab strength! 

Like I said, I've felt secure enough previously to take my hands off the pole, I really think part of the issue is the slimmer pole at the studio 🙁 damn chicken legs!! That and not having the lock done properly. 

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply though, I really appreciate it and it's all very helpful!

• amy

April 2, 2012 at 6:49 am

You may be able to get a tighter lock if your rotate the straight leg in the hip socket and turn the knee in towards to pole 🙂 good luck! Make sure the bent knee stays active and engaged to stay bent!

• spicyjc3655

May 11, 2014 at 11:24 am

Just learnt this in my recent class. The instructor seemed to think I was doing it right but it hurts so bad that I could not continue; I have a big bruise in my inner thigh (next to my V-jayjay). I’m not sure if I was doing it right? It looked like I had a lot of skin/flesh tugging out ard the pole when I laid back, doesn’t look very pretty… help?

• Runemist34

May 11, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Spicyjc3655, I could totally see where you’d get a bruise like that! I know I’ve had a pinch or two in that area… and this is one my favourite moves!
    Best think I could suggest is to make sure that your straightened leg is pointing upward before you go for the laying back part of the move. Get your legs in position first, leg your bum come down toward the pole, so that you’ve got most of your weight in that inner knee area. Then you can lay back, and you’ll have everything set up so you’re not pinching when your weight changes.

• spicyjc3655

May 13, 2014 at 8:28 am

Thanks Runemist34! I shall try this in practice hour tomorrow! I hope it works out!