• boots

Posted by jeng on March 14, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Was thinking about purchasing a set of knee high boots to pole in. Curious if the girls out there that pole in boots find it easier in a platform which chunky heal or just a standard heal witout the platfrom?

Buterflii replied 15 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Jenn

March 15, 2009 at 6:10 am

I have a pair of chunky platform boots, which are awesome because i can wedge the pole between the heel and stay there all day! it really helped me learn the split heel and the kneeswing/cupid. I have a pair of spike heels too. I find that my dance style and song preference is a little different depending on which heels i am wearing. the spiked heels make me feel sexy and soft and the chunky heels make me feel like a hardcore rocker.

• LittleMissLola

March 15, 2009 at 6:21 pm

I have these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WOMENS-PLEASER-ELECTRA-DX-PLATFORM-WHITE-BOOTS-SZ-4-4-5_W0QQitemZ170310892651QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWomen_s_Shoes?hash=item170310892651&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318 and they are so secure for me I’d be happy handspringing in them (I don’t generally though for fear of knocking someone out on the way down lol). The platform combined with the chunky heel does give lots of stability. I never feel as secure with my thinner heels and that immediately limits me on what moves I’m happy doing in them

• Rouge_LAmour

March 16, 2009 at 12:28 am

I have both the electra that Lola has and these http://howcool.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_1352&sort=4a&filter_id=19&page=3&max_display=10&sort=4a&page=3&products_id=4023

the knee boots I’ve worn for daily stuff, in the office etc. They aren’t the shiny PVC therefore don’t stick to the pole but look great with knee length skirts / dresses.

The spike ankle boots are PVC and great for climbing. PVC sticks to the pole really well. I do drops and kick in them with no problems. They were great for minute taking in meetings, somehow the senior managers seemed to behave themselves when I wore those… (maybe it was being 6’4" in them??) The heel at speed can cause lacerations, so be aware of where people are.

The most important thing is to get footwear designed for dancing. Normal street footwear isn’t designed with the reinforcing required to cope with what we put our footwear through.

The shank in dance footwear is stronger. The shank is a piece of metal that reinforces the sole. Ballet dancers break / shave down the equivalent of this in their pointe shoes so the shoe will bend. Which is why pointe shoes don’t last long.

Single sole units will also help, these are stronger and the heel is less likely to snap off, unlike multiple unit soles where the heel is separate, causing a potential stress area.

Finally, dance footwear has a rocker last. This is where the sole under the ball of the foot is curved. This makes walking in them easier and gives far more manoeuvrability than normal shoes of similar height.

Yes, I used to work in footwear retail and had to learn about footwear construction as part of our training.
    The only other tip I can give for heels is to walk on the ball of your foot and use the heel for balance. Basically on tip toes and to seriously stretch the calf and Achilles out afterwards to prevent snapping and tearing when back in flats. My mother was a 4" stiletto wearer for decades and when she wore flats for the first time in many years, she snapped her Achilles walking down stairs.

• Buterflii

March 31, 2009 at 7:10 am

wow do you ever know a lot…

now i hope i wear the right shoes to my first class…

i don’t want to bust my fave pair of shoes

we’re supposed to wear heels…