StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions arthritis and pole

• arthritis and pole

Posted by PixiLouBell on March 28, 2013 at 5:31 pm

any polers out there have arthritis in their hands?  im starting to think i have carpel tunnel (hands fall asleep) AND arthritis (fingers feel jammed and sore). if so, what do you do to help ease it?? thanks 🙂  

Saphyre replied 11 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Cherished

March 28, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Someone else here who knows more can elaborate but I've read other posts here that recommend Glucosamine.

• PixiLouBell

March 28, 2013 at 7:12 pm

ty cherished! i cant believe i have arthritis and carpel tunnel in my 30s aleady but guess i do

• Cherished

March 28, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Actually I don't think you do. I could swear I read another thread where someone else thought the same thing and there were responses from others here saying that it wasn't and someone had also said that glucosamine helped them with there situation.

Maybe Chem Goddess might know what I'm talking about. She usually remembers everything!

• PixiLouBell

March 28, 2013 at 7:46 pm

i hope ur right!! thnx!

• Cherished

March 28, 2013 at 7:50 pm
  • Cherished

March 28, 2013 at 7:52 pm

^It's the last reply that I remembered. Check it out 🙂

• megan12

March 28, 2013 at 7:52 pm

You're pretty young to have arthritis and carpal tunnel. There are a few ways to see if you do have carpal tunnel syndrome. Probably the easiest one is Phalen's sign. You basically press the tops of your hands together, fingers facing the floor, forming a 90 degree angle. Hold this for 60 seconds. If you have numbness and tingling, it's positive for carpal tunnel because the median nerve is irritated in this position. 

In terms of arthritis, most everyone has it to some extent and it only worsens as we age. I think polers and aerial artists use our joints often and it can become inflammed. I think someone trying aerial silks was having hand soreness and they said glucosamine really alleviated some of the symptoms. You might try that or a non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug like motrin or aleve. 

• PixiLouBell

March 28, 2013 at 8:24 pm

thanks cherished!! great forum!
    megan thnx for that test! my hands did get a bit tingly. my hands fall asleep sometimes when im holding my phone to my ear and when i hold the steering wheel too long in one place. :/

• dustbunny

March 30, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Maybe you could try a pair of mighty grip gloves. It may give you just a little help so you don’t have to squeeze as hard and will ease the pressure On your hands. I love my full fingered non-tacky gloves for static pole. I bought them for a sweaty hands issue, but they might help you too. 🙂

• Saphyre

March 30, 2013 at 11:52 pm

I can attest that Glucosamine is fabulous. I've been taking it for about 4 years now. You can either get Glucosamine & Chondroitin or Glucosamine with MSM. The Chondroitin formula is supposed to work better. I have to take the MSM formula because I have an allergy to the sulfa in Chondroitin. Also, use Veena's stretches for forearms, wrists, and hands. I do these and others on a daily basis, especially right after poling when the muscles are nice and warm. I also bought a hand grip that is adjustable. I use it while watching the news. Lastly, I have gotten trigger point acupuncture for it. It works extremely well if you have an experienced therapist. It is quite painful, but works. Good luck! xo

• PixiLouBell

April 1, 2013 at 5:14 pm

thnx for the idea dustbunny! i do have a pair but they r stretched out :/ i have some mighty grip chalk tho and that really helps with slippage!
    saphyre- thnx for telling me that, i am also allergic to sulfa/sulfur…is there a diff between those because i kno its one of them im allergic too lol

• PixiLouBell

April 1, 2013 at 5:15 pm

to***

• Saphyre

April 2, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I'm not sure what it is specifically that I react to in the Chondroitin, but my doc told me there is sulfa in there. I tried it, and I got itchy. The Glucosamine & MSM formula works just fine for me. It did take a little while (about 2 months) before I noticed a difference, but I most definitely did. I initially started taking it for my knees. Doc said I needed surgery, but I won't do that unless I am no longer able to walk. Here I am 4 years later, and I don't have nearly the issues I used to. Sometimes, I supplement with Tylenol Arthritis Formula (although I use the generic Walgreen's brand) which also helps with my spinal degenration issues. I take it 2 hours before I pole.

• PixiLouBell

April 2, 2013 at 2:29 pm

thnx for all the info susan!! 🙂

• chemgoddess1

April 2, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Saphyre, do you have problems with wine?  Chondroitin is typically chondroitin sulphate (did I just seriously spell it that way?) and typically those that have issues with sulfates like with wine may have a reaction to this.

Pixie- sulfa medications are a sulfanomide, not a sulfate.  They both contain sulfur but are very different structures.  I am also extremely allergic to sulfa's but do not have issues with sulfates.

Page 1 of 2