StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions acid reflux?

• acid reflux?

Posted by glitterhips on March 31, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Ok I am going to try not to gross anyone out but if you have a weak stomach you probably shouldn’t read this haha…..does anyone have acid reflux and have any tips on how to deal with it? I have had a sensitive stomach my whole life but recently I have been getting really nauseous and end up throwing up, and continue to throw up even when the only thing I have left to throw up is stomach acid, sooo gross I know https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cry.gif I’ve been waking up in the middle of the night and getting sick so I really need to do something about it since it’s interfering with me and my boyfriend getting 8 hrs of sleep! But the part I don’t understand is that it doesn’t seem related to what I eat, I never really eat anything greasy and I don’t like tomatoes which I know are acidic so I don’t eat those, the only acidic foods I eat are citrus fruits/orange juice but I haven’t gotten sick after eating those kinds of things, so I have no idea. A lot of times it happens after I just eat something really mild like plain brown rice or toast, which makes me think it’s not food related, but who knows.

My mom had her gallbladder taken out because of similar reasons about 7-8 years ago and I know that can be hereditary but she said hers didn’t start acting up until after she had me and my sister and I don’t have kids yet but it might be that anyway. I know I need to go to the doctor but I wanted to see if anyone has any tips for dealing with this, I’m getting really annoyed with feeling pukey all the time and I think my bf is getting tired of holding my hair back!

megs982 replied 14 years, 4 months ago 7 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

March 31, 2010 at 10:46 pm

A guy that I work with has issues with his lower esophageal sphincter that causes him many issues. I am not sure about the nausea and vomiting though. I would seriously consider having an upper GI done.

• amcut

April 1, 2010 at 3:16 am

Hit up the doctor, Glitter. One tasty pill can do the trick and then you wont have to avoid the glory foods. (Tomato = gloryfood, but you’re already avoiding that one. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif) That’s if it’s acid reflux, though.

Uhhhm. For the gallbladder- you should be disrupted by the fatty foods, of course, and then also fruitskins, and eggs especially. Eggs eeee-specially.

So, I’ve had some weird random vomiting problems- … DIRECTLY tannin related, and I -love- tea, so it’s an issue. I also cannot drink pomegranate juice.. or other things. Just makes me vom-vom-vomit. I found it out from making monster pitchers of tea and drinking it just as much as I drink water- and eventually not being able to keep any food down. I knew I was sensitive to them because red wine makes me feverish feeling and vomity- but didn’t think to avoid tea.

• Rara

April 1, 2010 at 3:33 am

Ok Glitter , I hate writing on the forums but i have no problem reading them. I deal with acid reflux and have been for at least 7 yrs. The orange juice is the worst thing, try staying awy from it for two day and see if you still deal with the reflux. Not sure if you remember or not , with me going back and forth to the doctors a few months back , but they did dinosed me with a hiatal hernia. I did find something that helped me it called Gaviscon Tablets , you can find them where you would looks for tums, maaloxs Its like $8 a bottle for 100. I used these for years and still do, they work like a charm. At times my refluxs gets so bad because of the hernia , i cant even hold down sips of water, i will pop a few of those and start to feel better. Give it a try and see if it helps. You can always contact me if you have more questions.

• glitterhips

April 1, 2010 at 2:07 pm

awesome thanks everyone! i will look into everything!

• PoleKitten81

April 2, 2010 at 9:14 am

HI Glitter,

A guy I used to date had really bad acid reflux because of a muscle tear near his oesophagus, one thing he said was a ‘danger food’ was banana. It made him really sick, also alcohol is a massive issue.

You can get tablets called Omeprazole which inhibit the amount of acid produced, you have to take them every day and I believe you have to get them from the Doctors but it kept his issue under control most of the time.

Hope this helps

PoleKitten

• DeliciouslyDark

April 24, 2010 at 10:04 am

Stay away from citrus fruits and orange juice! Acid Reflux is when your esophagus isn’t strong enough to handle an acid, and most kinds of orange juice have strong acidic Ph values!

Here are some things that can help you that I found on the internet (it’s about meals, and how to prevent Acid Reflux occuring at night):

If not treated appropriately, acid reflux attack for a prolonged period can wear out the inner protective lining of oeasophagus. Doctors call this erosive oesophagitis. A doctor can find out whether you have this condition through a simple endoscopy. He can also treat you for this acid reflux condition depending on the extent of damage.

There are a lot of advices out there for people who suffer from acid reflux or heartburn about what they should not do. There are always a bunch of food items you are not supposed to eat. Here we are discussing a few things you can do and reduce your acid reflux problem.

It is known to be beneficial to sleep on the left side of your stomach than your right side. Sleeping on you left side is better for you not to experience acid reflux symptoms like heartburn.

If you make it a habit to sleep with your head in an elevated position that would reduce heartburn during your sleep. This can be achieved using one or two extra pillows. If you can afford it, getting a bed that can be raised, a bed similar to the ones used in hospitals would be a great idea. If not, you can raise the head side of your bed with blocks of wood or some thing similar.

Eat any time you feel like eating. But make it very small portions. If you skip food in between for so long, you will end up eating a big meal in the end and it is going to cause the worsening of your acid reflux condition. Any person who tries to avoid meals in between for whatever reasons may end up over filling your stomach when you finally have food. This must be avoided at all cost.

In between meals, it would be helpful to you make it a habit of chewing gums. This would create a lot of saliva in your mouth and this can wash down any left over acids from your esophagus and throat. Saliva is alkaline in nature and is going to neutralize the acids to some extent. When choosing chewing gums avoid mint flavored ones. Mint is known to worsen acid reflux condition in many people.

Instead of chewing gums, you can suck on cough drops like halls or antacids, and they will provide you with the same effect.

Drinking water can dilute the stomach acids and can be helpful in reducing your heartburn condition.

It is an absolute no no to hit the bed right after a big meal. You need to walk for a little while before you go to sleep. The ideal case is to sleep only four hours after having your dinner. So have your dinner earlier around 5 or 6 O’clock, as was the practice of yesteryears.

And in case you need it, here is an article with advice about what to eat to prevent it:
    http://www.healthcastle.com/acid_reflux.shtml

Hope this helped. And I sincerely hope you feel better soon.

• megs982

April 24, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I have had acid reflux for 5 years now..Absolutly hate it too! Anywho. Im like you..when i start puking from it..it lasts awhile..I use the soft chew rolaids, and if i am really bad..Galvascom (taste NASTY lol but works wonders) Also any of the like liquid mylanta stuff works wonders as well. Try to avoid drinking a lot at one time..sip sip sip. And eat something startchy like crackers or something when you feel it..But definetly would try and get into a dr..they can look more into it, and if need be rx you something that will work.