StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Your experiences with fashion tape?

• Chwenny

May 2, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Haven’t tried the tape, but if all else fails what about wearing some pretty burlesque nipple pasties under your outfit so that in the event of wardrobe malfunction, it’ll at least look cute and intentional?

• polergirl

May 2, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I will probably do that…. though the tone of the dance is pretty dark so cheeky cute pasties could be a tough sell. Maybe I need to get angry, bitter, hurt pasties. Ha! 

• chemgoddess1

May 2, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Black electrical tape in an x over your nips is always a good fetishy look.  I bought the fashion tape from Sally Beauty and have had good luck with it.  Make sure your skin is clean before applying (another good use for alcohol).

• Runemist34

May 2, 2012 at 2:17 pm

A couple ideas: Go to a store and buy double-sided tape. It's basically the same thing as fashion tape, but WAY cheaper. Apply your tape and outfit and practice in it before your performance, because sometimes things like sweat, or an accident when doing a move can disloge things, and… well, yeah 😛

Chem's idea about black electrical tape is good, too!

The thing about pasties is that, if they just peak out, people might go "OMG that was-!" and not clue in to the idea of a pastie. So… yeah. Little bit dangerous.

Unless, of course, it's super bright, or sparkly, or unfeasibly huge. Then people will probably not think that it's natural 😉

Are there any ways you might be able to alter your outfit slightly, without having it be noticeable on stage? Floss or fishing line could be used to hold the top on correctly. Just not too tight, because you don't want it to cut off circulation or something!

• chemgoddess1

May 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm

There are always Nippies, too.  They make some really cute and different pasties.  Or if you have any fabric it is really easy to make your own pasties and then adhere them to yourself with eyelash glue.

The big difference between fashion tape and double sided sticky tape is that the fashion tape is on a stretchy type of material whereas double stick tape is on cellophane which does not stretch and bend as well.

• polergirl

May 2, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Thanks so much for the suggestions, ladies! I am going to try a few things tomorrow and see if anything works. I've danced in this getup and have been OK but I don't want to chance it. I don't want my head to be on my nipples instead of my dancing lol. 

• HollySatine

May 3, 2012 at 9:22 am

I just tried using fashion tape for a top I wore in a competition over the weekend.  Good thing I continued to warm up and stretch after putting it on, because I realized that if I was arching my back at all (and my routine had a ton of back flexibility moves), the tape would pull at my skin and come off in places.  This was not just a little uncomfortable but also really distracting because I actually felt much more conscious of my outfit.  So I decided to go without tape, but I also had nude, silicon pasties underneath.  I figured if I slipped a little, it would just look like skin underneath from a distance.  So try practicing your routine in it first, or at least try moving around as much as possible to make sure it stays in place and doesn't bother you!

• polergirl

May 3, 2012 at 9:38 am

Oh good advice! I was thinking of putting the tape on while I'm in my bendiest positions, so that would be its default.

A trial run (or two, or three) is definitely in order. 

• GG357

May 3, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I tried to use fashion tape from Joanne’s so my ass cheeks wouldn’t hang out. So, I taped my shorts right below my butt, that made the shorts stuck to my ass while letting my crotch show. Not the coverage I was looking for. I’ll stick with my ass out and my crotch covered.

• GG357

May 3, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I tried to use fashion tape from Joanne’s so my ass cheeks wouldn’t hang out. So, I taped my shorts right below my butt, that made the shorts stuck to my ass while letting my crotch show. Not the coverage I was looking for. I’ll stick with my ass out and my crotch covered.

• chemgoddess1

May 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm

On tops it is better to tape your top to your nips than to try to tape the edges.  The only other thing I have taped was bra straps.

• MsBKitty

May 4, 2012 at 1:02 am

Fashion Tape is somewhat a tricky little animal. Most of the time it is made more for cowl neck dresses and tops, not so much on the sports or performance side. Keep in mind that all fabric is different, tape will always stick better to a cotton based material with out a sheen than it will on a  lycra or spandex. It is a trial and error! 

http://badkittyexoticwear.com/shop/fashionfixittape-p-1620.html

• GG357

May 4, 2012 at 2:06 am

Thanks chem, I’ll keep that in mind:)

• Ophidia

May 4, 2012 at 2:22 am

I use toupee tape! They carry it at a local costume shop and it works amazingly.