StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Yoga Hammock help

• marle777

September 14, 2012 at 12:28 am

Sensual, I have also been considering the OmniGym for some months now. I did some browsing around a while back for the best yoga swing around and I came up with the OmniGym set up and some of the orginal products (like the padded lyra) from http://www.airgyrogym.com/products.html – Now I just need the funds to indulge!

• valerie98

September 14, 2012 at 5:45 am

Me too! That omni gym with the rocket stand looks awesome!!!

• Krista Bocko

September 14, 2012 at 6:39 am

I have never seen or heard of the omni gym with rock-it stand before…I want! that is SO cool.

• PoleFitMom

September 14, 2012 at 8:01 am

For my hammock I purchased my daisy chains and fabric from here:

http://www.aircat.net/Aerial/Equipment.html

I purchased these carabiners:

http://www.rei.com/product/737865/petzl-william-ball-lock-autolocking-carabiner?preferredSku=7378650019&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-{adtype}-_-product-_-7378650019&mr:trackingCode=44817AF1-E390-DE11-B4D4-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&{copy:s_kwcid}=&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CPaElNiPtbICFSOnPAodSmYA7A

For my silks (11 yards of fabric), it is the same material and width but I went with a distributor from Las Vegas b/c he gave me a better deal.

http://stores.ebay.com/aerial-chiffon?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

• CD Hussey fka Jivete

September 17, 2012 at 10:19 pm

If you don't mind a single point rigging, you can also attach your fabric straight to a rescue-eight with standard 108" width tricot nylon. I do trim about 12" off my fabrics for silks for easier grip, but I probably wouldn't worry about it for aerial yoga. Here's a youtube tutorial describing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bG0s73QjhA

The actual rigging could be tricky if you don't have exposed joists. I have an outdoor rig (the zen swing suspendulum), and I love it, but I haven't set it up inside to see how the shortest setting works inside. It is a little spendy, so if I really wanted to do yoga inside, I'd figure out how to rig through my attic or set up in the basement. 

• Dancing Paws

November 21, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Omni gym/ swings are on sale until Saturday…30 percent off! OMG I AM SO EXCITED!!!!! AHHHHHH!

• pegasusaerialfitness

November 22, 2012 at 8:06 am

you can purchase kits or buy climbing clear…Be very careful when choosing and eyebolt in the ceiling for your rigging. If you have exsposed beams you can use a rigging strap. I placed crossbeams on my ceiling to cross 3 joists with with a 2"X6"x6'….be careful on your choice of wood. Some wood is softer than others…some wood takes a very long time to dry and has a lot of expsansion and contraction. Be careful when choosing your eyebolt metal also…stainless steel will bend and not crack… I also bored a little dip in the ceiling so that I could put a large washer and nut on the other end of the eyebolt that I put through my crossbeams.  I would recommend two rescue 8's to tye your ends to…and two climbing/locking carabingers….You might also want a spinner ( I didnt get those….I want every one facing the same way. I am over kill and want them to hold up a truck.. I also use an extra carabinger to hold the two carabiners for single point hammock.

I got my fabric from fabric depot and my climbing gear from a Rescue and Fire safety site. the 108 inch 40 denier fabric will be very bulking and that is only 1 reason why you need two rescue 8. If you are using it as a hammock you dont need need the 8 with ears….for Tissue you should use the 8 the ears. I dont recommend the rings for the hammocks…it is harder to find a good quality ring without seems and made of the right metal…Do not go to home depot to buy your rigging equipment…it is not designed for what you want to use it for. I would also recommend a daisy chain so that you can adjust the heigth of the hammock.

• renster

November 25, 2012 at 5:45 am

I bought the Omni Gym in deep blue and am happy with it. I particularly like the three springs. You can purchase these separately if you have another swing, but I think they are indispensable and really ensure comfort when using the swing.

• valerie98

November 25, 2012 at 8:47 am

I also have the omni gym!!! Mine is orange and its awesome!!!

• Dancing Paws

September 28, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I personally like the ones with handles as they are more versatile. Youget the hammock stretching, but you also can do other types of stretches with the handles, PLUS TRX type strength training.

• Lucca Valentine

September 29, 2014 at 9:24 am

I like the no handles one. My hammock is essentially one long silk just ties into a hammock. 10 yards I think? and if I need handles I can just tie the loose ends of the fabric to make handles. I believe the other ones aren’t big enough to make a full cocoon but you can still lay back in it.

I really like mine and if I want to I can tie the silk looser or tighter/higher or lower which is really helpful of you plan to do Rebekah leach’s books because she has different moves using different hammock heights, some of which start with the hammock touching the ground. Maybe this is possible using the other hammocks I’m not sure. There’s also an added bonus of being able to do quite a few basic silk things and any aerial dancing stuff if that’s something you’d be interested in, which sounds like you might not be. I also like that

There would definitely be a way to do my hammock cheaper by buying everything separately and in retrospect I wish that’s what I’d done, but as far as how the hammock is laid out I couldn’t be happier.

• Lucca Valentine

September 29, 2014 at 9:26 am

I also like that the silk as handles or really in any number if ways forms to whatever body part you are using vs just placing a limb in the handle but it not being supported in the same way. I have loosey goosey joints so this has been kind of life changing for me 🙂 *** (is what that paragraph was going to end on lol)

• Lucca Valentine

September 29, 2014 at 9:28 am

And some quick knot thing research online is possibly necessary to do all that, it was for me cuz I use ceilings of varying heights. But it only take a minute and really it’s just a version of a slip knot

• Tigerschic041721

September 29, 2014 at 1:27 pm

I plan on getting the full silk fabric that can rig into a hammock like Lucca has mentioned. It seems like this will be the best way to incorporate everything like strength training, yoga, flexibility and also to get the most out of aerial performance type of hammock by having the full width (108″ I’m going with).That is a good idea to tie the ends into “handles” if you need them! Aerial empowerment is great at answering any questions (very quickly too) and I do plan to get the full set for convenience plus I’m sure I’d end up paying the same to ship individual pieces.

• Veena

Administrator
    September 29, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I have 2 hammocks, one 8ft and one 10-13 or something like that. I didn’t like the look of handles everywhere and you can do so much with just the fabric that I just bought the hammock. As mentioned I have used my longer hammocks “tails” to hold on to if needed. If you are looking for a place with great fabric and prices check out Aerial Empowerment http://www.aerialempowerment.com

Page 2 of 3