StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Working through depression, exhaustion while returning to pole.

• Working through depression, exhaustion while returning to pole.

Posted by Polecat88 on January 5, 2014 at 9:07 am

THIS PART IS ALL BACKGROUND FEEL FREE TO JUMP AHEAD

I’ve been off the pole for over a year now. I had two major bouts of clinical depression in that time. It was all I could do to keep on top of my postgraduate degree and stay alive, I’m in a less dark place now but I’m still struggling week to week.

I’ve relocated after my degree and I’m currently doing 4 days a week of intense physical work (cutting down trees, installing fencing etc etc…) and I also am in the unfortunate situation of having to live in a house with several cats…which I am allergic to. This, in combination with sharing a bed with a very large partner (and thus getting crushed often and sleeping very little)is leaving me exhausted.

I finally had my pole repaired, it’s been sanded down and powder coated in a lovely glossy navy blue. I’ve also picked up the joint I was missing so I can now put it back up (there’s not a lot of space but it might be possible).

SO MY QUESTIONS:

Well really I just wanted to know how other’s have managed getting back on their pole after long periods off it?

How about managing physical & emotional exhaustion in combination with your pole time?

I’d love to hear other experiences and views to help me feel less alone in this.

Lina Spiralyne replied 10 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • portableninja

January 5, 2014 at 9:28 am

You are not alone. I think you will find that many members on SV have dealt with clinical depression, and have experienced issues related to pole and working out as a result. I am one of those people. Lack of energy and lack of interest in activities that used to bring you joy are the classic symptoms of a depressive episode, so of course your pole experience will be affected.

I recently wrote a blog entry about some of the things I’ve been struggling with over the past few months which have led me to not want to use my pole.

https://www.studioveena.com/blogs/view/2013_goal_review_and_2014_goals_20140102010623

For me, it was only making things worse to attempt a workout and fail. I would end up frustrated with myself for not being as good as I wanted to be, and pole became just another source of anxiety and depression. For me, it helped to give myself permission to work on the broader issues in my life and let pole take a backseat for as long as it took to make progress. Instead of beating myself up every day I didn’t exercise, instead I celebrated the days I took steps toward resolving the larger issues that were preventing me from being happy.

Pole will always be there, and just because you hit a few bumps in the road doesn’t mean you need to give up. If you need to get back into it as a way to feel better, Veena’s 30 day program is a good way to get back into the groove. Even if you are more advanced than a beginner, it’s a good way to just have a structured set of exercises to do each day that relate to conditioning, stretching, etc. It makes it less overwhelming to do it that way with a checklist of things to do. You can always do advanced variations or add more reps or skills practice to the workouts if you choose.

Another thing that really helped me was cross training. When pole was making me feel weak and helpless, yoga made me feel strong, happy, and capable, and taking a walk around my neighborhood for fresh air helped more than staying inside. I’m not sure what works for you, but taking a break from pole to do other forms of exercise may help you get your mojo back.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

• JessiMae

January 5, 2014 at 9:32 am

Wow… you have been through a lot and you are still kicking and strong! I feel for you with the cats- my husband is allergic and turns into a zombie when he is around one. I can relate to some of your issues. I have been off the pole for about a year and have missed it so much. I was struggling with a hefty work schedule and a minor case of depression. The biggest thing that has gotten me out of my misery… is just getting off my ass and doing it. I’d say for days on end that I would get on the pole… but I didn’t give myself the time to do it. If I had the thought that day to get on the pole, I would make an excuse not to. As far as the physical and emotional exhaustion… I just learned to do what I can…. And leave what I can’t for tomorrow. Even when you feel like you don’t want to be anywhere near the pole… a poler will always want to touch it… to feel it.. and to use it. I guess that’s what I have learned throughout my journey back to pole… is if you don’t do it… you never will…. and whether you can or can’t… you are right. Good luck with everything and keep pushing yourself! You can do it!

• Polecat88

January 5, 2014 at 9:41 am

Thank you for your replies!

Yes, getting back on it is step 1! I guess I’ve just got to grab the opportunities where I feel less ‘zombie-like’ and get on it.

I always likes that veena allows us to have shared experiences.

• Veena

Administrator
    January 5, 2014 at 12:58 pm

You are not alone 🙂 So many of us have gone through long periods of time away from the pole, because of depression, time or just life! There is never an ideal time to start anything so as you said getting back on it is step 1. 🙂 Try to take things one day at a time. If you have purchased the lessons you might find the 30 day take off is perfect for easing back into things. Each day we do new things and it’s not a large time commitment. You do your tasks and your done! It was created for busy people who can’t always be on their poles consistently. Take care of yourself and know you’re not alone! xoxox

• Lina Spiralyne

January 5, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Have you seen this video? I understand that you will need more motivation than others if you’re in a depression, but I was mostly thinking about the advice saying “Give it 10 minutes”. Means that even though you don’t feel like practising, just sacrifice yourself for 10 minutes and if you still feel you don’t want to continue after that, it’s fine. But if you find that you want to go on, it’s great! It’s probably easier to get up and start practising if your expectations and demands aren’t too high.

• Lina Spiralyne

January 5, 2014 at 1:38 pm