StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Why do you pole?

• Why do you pole?

Posted by Dadgirl21 on November 16, 2011 at 10:26 am

I was sitting in the bathtub relaxing after a fight with the hubby about the purchase of pole and a question came to me "Why do I pole".  The simple answer was this, i'm not athletic, i'm not graceful, i can't dance but pole makes me feel empowered and comfortable in my body.  why do you pole?

Cherished replied 12 years, 6 months ago 19 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • Jag5303

November 16, 2011 at 10:47 am

I got into it to lose baby weight, and fell in love with every aspect of pole. I embrace it all. It’s now my second husband, lol !

• HollySatine

November 16, 2011 at 11:07 am

I started because it seemed different and exciting, and it felt like I had a sexy secret! ;b

Now I do it because I'm addicted.  I love watching my body change and perform all of the beautiful things I'm learning how to do.  Sometimes when I watch my own videos I catch myself thinking, wait I'm doing THAT?  Really???  That's me???  AWESOME.

Also, when I'm poling – or even thinking about pole – all of my problems tend to disappear for a few minutes.  It's an excellent distraction.

…Oh, and I sound really interesting when I mention it at parties!  Haha.

• NinaPoles

November 16, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I went to my first pole class mostly to check another item off of my bucketlist, but after an hour I was completely hooked!:) Now I pole because it makes me feel both strong and feminine, and it's the first excerise I've ever actually had fun doing 🙂

• MadisonsWorld

November 16, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I used to pole dance”strip” years ago..and when I got on stage was able to loose myself in another world even tho I was being watched by many people..I am a sensual dancer,I like to feel the music,and I love the way the music makes my body move to it..I miss it..so anytime I see I pole,I use it..but it has been along time,so I am finally getting one for my house!!! It is a very empowering feeling that the pole gives a woman,even the shyest..I love the female body,the curves,the way a woman moves..it is a piece of art and I love to watch myself in the mirror dance,as well as other women dance…it makes me sad to hear woman down the art of pole,they don’t understand,they downgrade it..it is an expression,a form of dance..yes it is done in strip clubs and can be raunchy,but so can anything,even eating the healthiest food can turn into something raunchy..well,I am getting off topic..I just love to pole dance because I can express my sensuality and sexuality and be myself…it is a challenging thing to learn also,which I love..so do it because you love it!!! That is what matters…
    S

• glitterhips

November 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I pole because I was always the weird girl who was different from everyone my whole life and I always got made fun of for that. Even now I have a some large visible tattoos and always stand out from the crowd but I feel like with pole I really fit in and people understand me and my style, but I also feel like pole is the sport for all the other girls who didn't fit in like me, it's the one place we all belong! I think that's why we get along so well and are so supportive of each other. I have made some of my best friends from pole and it has seriously changed my life! For example, I have these shoes that have zombie eyeballs and teeth and when I wear them out I get crazy looks but when I wear them to pole functions literally a dozen people will ask where I got them 🙂

• RoseMay

November 16, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Pole dance is just such a versatile sport and hobby. I feel that there's so much you can work on and learn that it will never get boring. That's not why I started in the first place, but it's the main reason why I'm still doing it.

There are of course the many tricks you can learn, the strength training you can do to get them, the flexibility training you can do to make them pretty … and if you don't feel like doing strenous training you can always just dance … and there are many different dance styles you can combine with pole dancing. Then there's the floorwork and acrobatics and gymnastics part. And you can think of your own choreographies and costumes.

And apart from all the physical things, I also learned how to use a camera and edit videos and photos. I also started to learn to "listen" to music … I mean hearing where you can put accents in your dance and stuff like that. In general I started to always look for new music. And not to forget the lightning for videos … before pole dance I never thought about anything like that, but it makes a huge difference. Oh and last but not least I'm finally learning to walk in heels https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

So yeah, I'm sure it will keep me interested for a while https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cool.gif

• LizzyLiz810

November 16, 2011 at 6:24 pm

It makes me feel sexier, and i love that its super challenging!! 

• Kayla007

November 16, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I pole dance because it is empowering and sexy.  I love the striptease and the aerobic side of pole. It keeps me fit, it lets me express myself, and feel sexy. When I watch a video of myself I am suprised because I have always been a horribly uncoordinated dancer.  

• trickivix

November 16, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Pole fitness has been the only type of exercise that I can't get enough of. I don't like doing repetitive cardio workouts, I've never played in team sports… I like tennis and weight training at the gym, but these things don't give me the same buzz I get when I'm on the pole. I love the challenge of perfecting a move. It gives me a high when I've got it right. And I love that it builds muscles in places I never knew muscles existed.

• beginner2

November 17, 2011 at 12:56 am

From what I'm seeing around here, poling is something majority of people cannot do because they are not strong enough, not flexible enough or not patient enough to practice. To be feminine & sexy is a plus. I will never think of myself practicing tennis, golf, volleyball or stuff that "men" are doing.

• Legend

November 17, 2011 at 1:06 am

Good question… lets see: its a great workout, empowering, fun, challenging, versitale, never boring, makes me feel sexy and healthy, great antidepressant… I could go on and on… mostly it just suits me, I was always fascinated by it and not only changed my life, it gave me life!

• Angie La

November 17, 2011 at 2:12 am

What HollySatine said is exactly how I feel, but I think that only begins to scrape the surface for me.  Pole has allowed me to step out of my "mom box" to be free to be a woman–sexy, beautiful, empowered, challenged…  It was a journey though.  

By best friend told me she started pole fitness and I just scoffed and made some rude comment.  I met her in Paris for a trip in April and was amazed a how great she looked, I wanted to know what she had been doing. She said, "I TOLD you!  POLE FITNESS!!"  It clicked then in my head that maybe it wasn't what I thought it was–all the stigmas that society paints, that is is dirty.  I eyed a pole in the underground metro train and asked her what she could do with it, still skeptical.  She shrugged and gripped the pole, flying her legs out on either side like she was a frozen cheerleader, with jeans and boots on.  I knew then that I wanted one too!

I just bought a pole from the UK, in May, and had no idea what to do with it.  I struggled with how to feel sexy and not dirty.  Something happened to me when I realized I AM sexy and I am NOT dirty–it's just a simple fact.  I am addicted to the physical challenge of pole (how much practice and time it takes to gain power and control) and love playing "dress-up" like a little girl in her mommy's shoes.  Only it's me!  I am the mommy with the beautiful, sexy shoes, and I am the vixen in the mirror moving with strength like never before–and I am safe to do so!  Pole has transformend me https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• polediva129

November 17, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I am not sure what, besides fascination, drew me to poling. I picked up the SFactor book and I was drawn to the movements I could make with my body. I love the challenge, the movement, the sensuality of the dance style and the way that I can feel like I am someone else, like a goddess, a sexy creature when I am dancing. I just like how it makes me feel.

• polergirl

November 17, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I started because it was a super cold winter and I was sick to death of going to the gym. I needed something to keep my attention and figured pole dancing would do it. 

Now, I pole because not poling isn't an option! It keeps me centered. Keeps me sane. Keeps me fit and healthy and strong. Most of all, I get to let a part of me out that, most of the time, is buried under responsibility and bills and work and household and all that other life stuff. I can let myself be that woman for a few hours when I'm dancing. She's as real as the "responsible" (not that pole is irresponsible… you all know what I mean, right?) side of me. She's slinky and cheeky and enjoys her body. 

It has honestly changed my life, as well as my outlook on it. 

• jade s

November 17, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I started pole because I’d heard it was a great work out, but it ended up being life transforming for me. I had been divorced for almost 10years and had just ended a 6 yr L.T.R. and my self esteem was pretty much at zero. I was totally inhibited about being “publicly sexy”. After one class I knew it would turn into an addiction for me. Now I love the beautiful sensuality of it, both the spiritual strength as well as the physical, the confidence its given me, the fect that no matter what i’m feeling, i can work it out on the pole, and most of all, the comrade of the amazing friends I’ve made. Oh and my boyfriend loves it! It’s something I can feel proud of (especially at my age). I wish so much I would’ve had the opportunity to do this 20 years ago!

Page 1 of 2