StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Why do I always rush my dancing?! Heeelp.

• Why do I always rush my dancing?! Heeelp.

Posted by glitterhips on April 11, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I have a performance Saturday and competition coming up soon and I am doing a serious dramatic piece this time, weird I know! But as always, I am dancing sooo fast and not really taking time to enjoy it or command the audience's attention like I could be. How do I get around this?! I usually pick fast songs so that's part of my problem, and in my head I am in a trick and then already thinking of the next 3 after it! It's bad :/ not to mention the timing with this song is super important. How do I slow down and just feel the music and the character?! Heeeellllppp!

pegasusaerialfitness replied 11 years, 1 month ago 10 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • glitterhips

April 11, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I have a performance Saturday and competition coming up soon and I am doing a serious dramatic piece this time, weird I know! But as always, I am dancing sooo fast and not really taking time to enjoy it or command the audience's attention like I could be. How do I get around this?! I usually pick fast songs so that's part of my problem, and in my head I am in a trick and then already thinking of the next 3 after it! It's bad :/ not to mention the timing with this song is super important. How do I slow down and just feel the music and the character?! Heeeellllppp!

• monica kay

April 11, 2013 at 12:35 pm

hey glitter!

i love your routines- i think they are always timed really good and they are fun and flirty and you engage the audience.

you are really good at following 8 counts– to slow your moves down, maybe you could try counting them as 4 counts?  so instead of "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8…" it would be "1 AND 2 AND 3 AND 4 AND…"

not sure if it makes sense.  basically instead of smashing movement into one 8 count, you are spreading the same movement over 16 counts 

• chemgoddess1

April 11, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Glitter, if you do not already have the S Factor dvd I strongly suggest getting it; at least the very first one.  That is probably the very best resource I can give you to learn how to slow it down and feel and breathe the music.  I know there is an S Factor semi near you.  They have intro classes all the time; take an intro class.  They are advertising 2 free classes on their website.  Just suck it up and do it.  You may feel strange at first but once you are about 15-20 minutes into the class you will relax and feel the flow.

• calipolepixie

April 11, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I love the energy in your dances but I understand what you mean about needing to change the pace for performances and competetions because it's a whole different ball game. I have a problem with moving in fast forward when I dance as well what has been helping me is to go a couple of beats slower than the beat in the music and/or when I do a move slowly counting to 4 (1 1000, 2 1000, 3 1000, 4 1000)  before I switch to another move.

• polergirl

April 11, 2013 at 1:26 pm

When I'm dancing to a fast/high-energy song I tend to adopt a "tango" methodology for moves: quick-quick-slooooooow. That may not work with the music you're working with.

I agree with the others who love your flirtatious style. You have such a unique stage persona! So now you need to take your flirtatious Glitter-y-ness, and infuse a little drama and darkness into her. Totally doable, I know it it! 

Think about it this way: you picked your music for a reason. It spoke to you, right? So…. let it keep speaking to you! 

• Saphyre

April 11, 2013 at 4:07 pm

As one who has had the pleasure of a preview, I love, love, love what you are doing with this routine. My advise? Think of slow, sensual sex with your man! Go to the extreme and think of melding yourself with Alethea. You know you want to!

• stoneycook

April 12, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Listen.

• Anonyma

April 12, 2013 at 5:55 pm

just think that you are a superstar and make them wait for it  !

• Serzi

April 12, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Well, my absolute fav slow-burner of sensual arts was Gypsy Rose Lee. She said “My mother, who got me into this business, always used to tell me ‘Make ’em beg for more and then don’t give it to them’…but I’m not my mother!”

So, to answer your question, have fun w/ it! Be stunning, take your time w/ it, love every second and every step like it has its own identity. The heart guides the hands that create art. Let what you’re feeling express what everyone’s hearing and seeing. Own it, guide it, but don’t hold it back. You will be glorious. 😉

• pegasusaerialfitness

April 14, 2013 at 9:46 am

If the beat is fast…think of sliding through the beat instead moving to the beat.. Like a cat on the prowl.. It takes a lot of muscle to move slow, visualize water pressing through.. It such a force, but still passive. Use your breath to enhance the movement also. A breath can be a movement, a hesitation. Which is movement also. 

Just change your perspective and you will realize how full a slower movement can have. Women are beautiful and should be adored, allow everyone to fully take in your story.