StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions When to cut your losses with a comp?

• When to cut your losses with a comp?

Posted by Sassafrassle on July 19, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Hey folks. I haven’t posted on here in ages but I used to haunt SV like a fiend:) Anyway, I competed in the local heat of one of our comps here in NZ. I didn’t place in my category but it sounds like I came close. Now I need to decide whether or not I want to submit a video of performance for a second chance at getting through to the final on a People’s Choice ticket. I kinda feel like if I didn’t get selected to go through in the actual comp, I don’t really have any business trying to get through on popularity rather than merit plus it would be another few weeks of training and polishing but at the same time, everyone I talked to said they loved my routine and apparently I place pretty highly with the pole judge (they have a pole judge, a gymnastics judge, and a dance judge in the heats), plus I know I could do the routine even better. So, has anyone else found themselves in this sort of situation and what did you decide? Any advice otherwise? Thanks:)

Charley replied 9 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

July 19, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Are you going to look back and say “what if”? If 3 months down the road you were told you could never pole again what would you do? You entered the comp originally for a reason. What was that reason and does it still exist?

It sounds as if the only thing that is stopping you is your own self doubt.

• WebJunk

July 19, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I think you should do it for yourself. Judges and critics are not what matter except for (unfortunately) the winning order. A competition I went to earlier this year to watch, we and people sitting near us all thought a third place competitor was by far the best. Nice to win but isn’t great to just be a competitor?

• I polekat I

July 20, 2014 at 8:44 am

I would say go for it =) You don’t often get a second chance in a comp, treat the first one as a dress rehearsal and think THIS is your real go! And if you do end up doing the routine better than the first time then who’s to say you are not going through on merit? if nothing else it’s another good comp practice =) xox

• Charley

July 21, 2014 at 8:43 am

Be careful of online voting. If I understand it’s a “people’s choice” does that mean you will have to garner a lot of votes online? The internet isn’t fair. Just keep that in mind. I personally stay away from these kinds of things because it can be hard on the confidence. If you do submit a video – do it for fun. If it’s an online vote thing like it sounds like keep in mind people will vote for their friends not necessarily who should be in it. If it’s not, then def go for it.