StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What is stage presence to you?

• donnalee

April 23, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Ewa Tran,

I never thought, "Wow….she has a big dorky grin on her face!" I watch your videos. They're great.

I  purse my lips together…., "MMmmmmmmmm" like a monkey face….because I am trying soooooo hard on pole moves.

• Kira

April 23, 2012 at 2:24 pm

thanks everyone for the insightful replies! I always wondered what it is exactly that makes some polers stand out more than others, I sometimes thought that I just didn't 'get' performances that people raved about, maybe it's individual to everyone. The main thing seems to be drawing the audience in though. Btw I've seen a few videos from most of you and you all have it ;D

• donnalee

April 23, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Ollie,

I like your words. All the videos posted here draw me in also….no matter what the levels are. I mean it.  I watch to learn and also to be entertained! It's just fun to watch and think, "How do they do that? Looks great!"  And the videos that are meant to be funny….make me laugh as well. Maybe it's sincerity or a certain understanding we all have about tryingto be good at something and always working for improvement…no matter where we are on the pole journey : )

• aliceBheartless

April 23, 2012 at 6:08 pm

To me stage presence is a total commitment by the dancer to her dance; being in the moment with herself, her partner the pole, the floor, the audience, and combining her music, costuming, and movements in such a way that it all melds together. I don’t think external vs internal focus is the stage presence but simply an aspect. An internally focused dancer can be just as mesmerizing and awe-inspiring to me as an externally focused dancer. And stage presence can definitely be seen even in the lazy day freestyle choreo.

• Scarlett Honey aka Lola Grace

April 24, 2012 at 9:21 am

Hmm I think a dancer can have 'Stage Presence' in several different ways. If the dancer with stage presence is doing a live performance then their nteraction with the audience can show confidence and personality. It can get the viewers involved and keep their interest. This type of performance is about "entertainment" and high-voltage energy. If anyone has seen Cleo the Hurricane or Chilli Rox live or on you tube, u know what I'm talking about. Think vivacious and dynamic.

Another type of stage presence is when the dancer somehow evokes emotions in viewer. They may be totally consumed in their dance and oblivious to viewer, but perhaps because they are so passionate about movement and in tune with their body, it makes the viewer feel what they're feeling… I think Natasha Wang and Alethea Austin have this kind of presence – their dancing is moving, sensual, poetic, lyrical.

I think stage presence is created both mentally and physically. I believe it's like a theatrical version of 'charisma'. So yes some people are born with certain personalities or genetics that make them naturally charismatic…. like confidence and emotional sensitivity, or coordination and fluidity. However I think these qualities can also be studied and learned. We can focus our minds on being positive and confident and expressive, and we can train our muscles to respond smoother, for our reflexes to better captivate and intrigue the viewer.

Stage presence can be almost seductive… It captures our attention and makes us feel attracted towards the person, to the point where we envy them.

Hope this makes sense…. 😛  

• DaniandmoreDani

April 25, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I'm working on an upcoming performance and one of my goals is to increase my stage presence.  So one thing I'm doing is everytime I play my song I smile and consciously relax. The song has a relaxed vibe, so I'm hoping that this technique will condition me to be in a habit of being relaxed and happy when I hear that song in the hopes that that feeling will infuse my dancing. Now that I type this it sounds a little Pavlovian. LOL Not sure if it will work, but it seems promising so far.

Page 2 of 2