StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What is more important to you?

• What is more important to you?

Posted by Beckypolegirl on August 4, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Since starting pole I have lost a bit of weight (not loads) and toned up. I am happier with the way I look but during a conversation with my husband tonight he said I looked better before and I need to put on weight! I said that it was more important to me that I am happy with how I look then him but he reckons that it should be the other way round lol so I just wondered which is more important to you the way you feel about your body or the way your partner feels about it?

Paula Floyd replied 10 years, 9 months ago 17 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Lyme Lyte

August 4, 2013 at 4:13 pm

My weight has fluctuated, and my husband says I am beautiful every single day,Whether heavier or skinny. I think it is most important for you to be happy, but if he likes a bit more curvaceous body, heck, I say load up on the chocolates….best of both worlds!

• chemgoddess1

August 4, 2013 at 5:30 pm

I am one who likes muscle tone.  There is nothing more ewwww than hugging another female who is just all mush.  I will take curves on top of muscle tone over skinny fat any day.

That said, I feel it is more important for you to feel good about yourself.  When you are happy it leads to a better relationship.  We are always telling women not to change (stop poling, etc) for their significant others unless it is something they are on board with.  But I can also see if you have gotten too thin he may not like that.  

Does he want you to gain weight for his own personal insecurities?  Does he think you are too hot and he has not kept up?  

My hubs is the same as Lyme's.  He has seen me over 170 and under 150 and on my body that is a big difference.  I will say though that no matter what my weight, I know that our sex life is better when I feel good about myself.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 4, 2013 at 5:44 pm

For me, it's more important that I like how I look. If I feel like I look good, then I'm more interested in sex and of course that's a good thing for him! LOL

• Runemist34

August 4, 2013 at 6:27 pm

My ex-husband constantly told me "You would look so good with just ten more pounds." And, well, I tried. I went up a total of 40 pounds, and was the largest and heaviest I've ever been, particularly during the end of the relationship. I wanted to please him, I wanted him to be interested in me (because, well, I never "got any"), and I trusted his opinion.

And you know what? I was miserable.

His behaviour never changed, I felt awful and heavy and it was hard to actually feel motivated to dance or work out- partially because I knew that, if I did, I would lose the weight, and I feared he would be even less interested!

Now, though, I'm at a very healthy weight for my body, and I am wanting to become stronger, more toned, more muscular. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I want to be happy with me! I want to feel healthy!

And my boyfriend is totally behind me, 100%, because it motivates him, too!

And yeah, when you feel healthier, you'll be more interested in having sex, in going out, and in being happy.

It's your body, and you've got to look at it, be in it, and love it far FAR more than he does.

• Saphyre

August 4, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I personally think it is better for you to feel good about yourself for all the reasons already stated. I also agree with what Chemmie said about curvy/toned over skinny fat. I have been both! I think everyone feels better when they work out, whether you are skinny or not so skinny. Your husband should understand that what is important is that you are healthy. Are you? Then that should be good enough. I would also wonder why he prefers you with weight on. Men are funny creatures….Usually they are just happy that you are interested in sex! lol

• Quirkygrl16

August 4, 2013 at 6:56 pm

The way I feel for sure. My husband LOVES me how I am now (Curvy and weighing 170),but i'd love to tone up more and lose about 20-30 pounds. I know he would love me however as long as i'm happy..

• onceuponapole

August 4, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Without a doubt it's how you feel about yourself.  If you have to keep up a certain look for someone then it puts too much pressure to always have to look good for them.

If you feel good about the way you look, then it really comes through when it comes to confidence.

• CapFeb

August 4, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Maybe this is too pessimistic of a response, but this is the way I look at it; when you were younger, around 13-17. Some girls around that age find reall bad guys. Guys they try to do anything and everything to do to please. They'll even lose friends over the guy. And after a bunch of emotional/mental, or even physical abuse they'll finally get rid of the guy and have to salvage all of the relationships they had before they got into that girl's life. 

I'm not saying your or anyone else's significant other is like that. The point is, always chose your friends over your mate. No matter what you do or where you go, YOU will always be stuck with you and your body. Might as well consider your body your best friend in life. Until science finds a way to swap the subconscious, you need to happy with the home your brain is in. If anyone else has a problem with it, then that's that; their problem. 

• Beckypolegirl

August 5, 2013 at 2:03 am

He reckons I still look hot but he thinks my legs have got too thin and I have lost my bum a bit (he is a bum man lol) he is happy that I am healthier more confident and have a hobby that I love so he does support me I think he is just upset my bum has got smaller lol

• Runemist34

August 5, 2013 at 2:31 am

You can always remind him that, with the greater muscle tone, and the building of muscles, it'll come back, even better than before!

• kmccool

August 5, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Since it is one's self esteem that takes a beating in such situations like this, I will say that without a doubt what matters more is what YOU think or feel about YOUR body. Parterns will come and go, and in the end you have yourself to assess. Are you happy with the way you changed yourself? Will staying the same or going back bring you more joy? When his opinion doesn't matter anymore will the changes have been worth it? Are you really changing for yourself or for someone else?

I wont lie and say I don't think about my hubby's opinions, because they do mean a lot to me. I admit I do things just for him that I normally wouldn't do otherwise just to make him happy. But if I am happy with where I am at in regards to how I look, weigh, and feel then that is what should matter in the end. I take his preferences into consideration but ultimately my feelings are at stake so I will do what makes me comfortable in my own skin.

• bformosa922163

August 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm

His opinions are important, but if you truly feel happy about your progress (which you should, because losing weight does make you feel amazing) then he should be able to accept that. I have had this same discussion with my partner and he told me that no matter what size I am, he will still love me. You should be losing weight for you and nobody else. 

Maybe he feels like you are a completely different person now that you have lost weight. Good on you for losing the weight. 

• dustbunny

August 5, 2013 at 8:17 pm

If it’s your bum he misses, learn how to twerk! He should be pleased with that. 🙂

• beginner2

August 5, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I showed mine the pic of a poler in a very tough trick. She looked so cool to me but he said she looked too muscular and looked like a man. He wanted me to put on weight too. I just conclude that men know nothing about being toned. At least my husband. Unless they train, they will not know what is better. They with their big size will always like fatty wives so they feel they don’t hug the log. So I just don’t care what mine think. But I don’t let myself go skinny because he does not like a skinny wife.

• Quirkygrl16

August 5, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I think my husband might think I will find someone better once I look better, and that is just not the case lol.

Page 1 of 2