StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What does everyone use to VIDEO?

• What does everyone use to VIDEO?

Posted by mish514 on February 18, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I am new to the site and I am looking for the best way to video myself practicing.

I have a mac powerbook so I have the imovie and the built in video camera, but it’s not the best, i can’t zoom out and my space is small so I can’t get a full view. Quality is not the best. I also have a camera that takes video but I would love to know what everyone else uses? Do I need a tripod? Or am I being silly at this point?

Also, since I haven’t ever done this, I would love to know what you all use to edit the videos and create little captions. I am a former IT technician so I won’t have a problem once I begin, but I haven’t been in the IT field in over 3 years now so I just need a modern technology refresher https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

Thanks all.
    Mish

Audball replied 14 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Sabrina

February 18, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I use a Flip HD camera and iMovie to edit.

• mish514

February 18, 2010 at 4:19 pm

So this may sound naive, but do you just prop it up on a table or something while you are practicing? I will try the iMovie, I honestly never messed with it, my laptop is new and I never find the time to play around with the apps.

I thought of getting a flip camera. how do you like yours?

Thanks for the response https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• Sabrina

February 18, 2010 at 4:24 pm

LOVE the Flip. the only problem with it is it doesn’t have a wide angle lens, so I set it on the night stand abt 10 ft away. you could use a tripod it you have one, but it’s not necessary.

• mish514

February 18, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Oh good because I don’t have one and I hate to buy something I don’t need. My boyfriend wanted a flip and he never ended up getting one. Maybe I will get one and share with him, I only need it for practice. It’s probably the most efficient since you just plug and upload right?

• Foxy_Rei

February 18, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I just use the video function on my digital camera (Sony Cybershot), and set it on a nightstand. It works.

I used to use Windows Movie Maker, but you have a Mac, so you can spare yourself the frustration of working with that program… it works, but it sucks. I don’t use anything at the moment because I use neither Windows or Mac.

• mish514

February 18, 2010 at 9:43 pm

thanks. I have a canon and the video is good on it, but i just need to find a space to prop it up on. i figured some people did that but the quality looks so good on alot of these videos that i wondered if you all might use fancier stuff. i will try to record something soon, i could use some constructive criticism. in class i feel like they cheer us on even when we are doing it wrong. hate that! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_mad.gif

• minicoopergrl

February 19, 2010 at 2:06 am

I have a JVC camcorder. Very basic for what I need it for.

I used to stick my camcorder in one of the cubbies at the studio but the problem I run into is getting the shot right (im a TV production graduate, im very picky about all of that). I got a tripod and set it up where I want it. I will put something on the pole to mark my shot. I normally do a wide shot so you can see everything when I perform.

I use Window Movie Maker as well. Its pretty simple and ive used it everytime ive made a movie. I want to try imovie but my mac is very old and wouldnt be able to upload my video.

• Audball

February 19, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I use my macbook with the built in camera and I think it’s great. I tried to use my digital camera before but uploading the vids took ages. I just put my macbook on a chair and push it as far away as I can. Feel free to take a look at my vids to see what you think. I export mine as medium quality usually, but you can choose better quality.

I had a problem with imovie at first, as it seemed to zoom in on my movies, cutting out a lot of it, and it looked too zoomed in. If you go to project properties and choose timing > ‘fit to frame’ instead of ‘crop’ than it could sort your problem, it did for me!