StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What do you wish someone had told you?

• Legend

March 23, 2012 at 2:07 am

to stretch, something I never did growing up and I'm paying the price… but mosty i wish i had NOT listened to what everyone told me… that i would never be any good at dancing or gymnastics because of my size and for the 5y i waited before finally make the decision to ignore everyone's opinions and buy a pole. still, better late than ever…

• Fianna

March 23, 2012 at 6:16 am

I wish someone had told me to stretch more, more and more! Some moves really need that FLEXIBILITY!!! 

• dustbunny

March 23, 2012 at 11:16 am

@Legend  We wish you hadn't listened to them either, you could have been here with the rest of us much sooner.  But I do understand, even my hubby thinks I shouldn't be taking gymnastics at my age.  I think he's worried I'm going to hurt myself.  To be honest, he's probably right, I'm just hoping that when it happens I'll heal quickly.  LOL  Oh well, at least he's supportive about pole. 

I wish I had been taught how important being able to freestyle really is.  Also how to do basic pole moves correctly.  It's hard to re-learn something.

• ORGANIC ANGEL

March 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm

To start younger.

I started in '06 so just into my 20's, but wish I could have been doing it since I was 16https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• SexyRockStarsWifeNowWidow

March 23, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I echo what Organic Angel said. Wish I had found out about poling for fitness alot sooner. I'm in my mid 30's and wished I had started while I was still in my 20's. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• polergirl

March 23, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Um, I started at 38, how do you think I feel??  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• azblanco

March 23, 2012 at 12:58 pm

i started when I was 21. Wish I would have started at 18 when I was 25pounds lighter. BOO! But the point is we all started and love it- so better late than never =)

• tiggertail

March 23, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Stretching and keep working on it even when you don't get it. Listening to myself when a little voice was saying…bad idea!!! Painful lesson lol.

And i wish that the first time i saw someone poling on tv, i didn't tell myself that since i was not a stripper i could never try it. I should have look to find a pole and learn it anyway https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• Kaylie

March 23, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Hey!! I am starting at 45!!! I do have Crossfit and yoga behind me but I am so happy that I am starting now and not when I am 46!!!

• Hazi411

March 23, 2012 at 11:43 pm

I started just over 2 years ago, age 54 🙁  Wish I had started when I first saw a poledancing demo, which was about 6 years ago now!

• hookedonpole

March 24, 2012 at 12:16 am

1)  I wish I'd learned to invert correctly in the beginning, I injured myself kicking and trying to latch on with my foot, but nothing long-lasting, thank goodness.  Anyone kicking into inverts, even shoulder mounts and latching on, take your time and get stronger.  I even struggle with shoulder mount, I seem to have lost what I had accomplished.

2)  Everything everyone has told me about importance of dancing with poling and that I can do it.  I have such a mental block with it and have hard time not comparing myself to others.  With mental block I just can't relax and feel good about it.  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif   I hope I can begin to LISTEN to this advice.

3)  Yes, I wish someone had told me how much $$ I would be spending.  Sometimes I get scared that I'm not handling our finances wisely, but I still spend for poling!

4) Wish someone would have told me about sv A LOT sooner than when I found it.

5)   MOST IMPORTANT, I wish someone had told me what great friends I would find in the pole community!!!!  I had no idea this would happen; through studios, FB, workshops with great instructors and wonderful veneers.  This is the part I love the most.

• Elektra Vallens

March 24, 2012 at 11:22 am

I wish someone had told me that no matter how fast I was advancing at first, that, no, I wasn't going to learn everything about pole in six months and be competing in a year.  I wish they had told me that I'd just embarked on a journey that was going to take many years and lots of hard work, and that I should take a deep breath, slow down, and enjoy the process of learning, rather than focussing on how good I could become.

Of course, I never would have listened.

• Kobajo84

March 24, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I wish someone had told me how to properly structure a workout. I had to learn over the years through trial & error, if I’d known proper technique I’d have better form & development.

• emotioncatcher

March 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm

also stretching 🙂 I started to work on my flexibility after already one year of pole dance, I´m glad always was quite flexible so it´s not such a big problem ^^

• Hazi411

March 24, 2012 at 8:30 pm

emotioncatcher – I started flexibility classes about 3 months in to my pole journey, but, like you, I was fairly flexible anyway (good genes I think, as my Mum's pretty flexible too!)

Page 2 of 3