StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What do you do for a living?

• grayeyes

January 16, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I’m an RN with three part-time jobs, one in the hospital, one in an outpatient surgery center and one as a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE). I don’t love being a nurse and spend many hours trying to figure out a better career option. I also have a bachelor’s degree in business that I’ve never used and my paramedic license. If I could do it all over again I be a veterinarian. I ponder the idea of being a personal trainer but I’m not sure my aging knees agree.

• PenelopeAnn

January 17, 2014 at 12:15 am

I own a bachelorette entertainment business, so spend every weekend doing workshops for bachelorette parties. I love love love my job! I also own a dance studio, teaching bellydancing (been a professional bellydancer for 19 years), fire dancing and pole dancing. My students have become an extension of my family. One of my entertainment options is a Ladies’ Toy Party, so I get to educate ladies about their sexual health and provide them with a safe, comfortable place to shop for adult toys and bedroom accessories. I make bellydance costumes, and occasionally pole costumes, in my spare time. My most important job though, is as a mother to two precious boys (1 & 7), both of whom love being on the poles. My 7 year old has been in all my studio shows since he was about 4 and will climb any & every pole he sees, and my 1 year old can do a pole hold! I’m an accountant by qualification – thank goodness that’s not what I have to do every day. I looooooove my jobs!

• FoolsErrand

January 17, 2014 at 12:32 am

I soooo sympathize with the posters who hate their jobs. Even with my fancy degree (research scientist in physics and neuroscience) and reasonably cushy jobs, I’ve had some miserable times and awful bosses. But over the last few years I’ve lucked out, getting paid to give advice and come up with cool ideas (mostly computer algorithms) rather than do real work.

I’ve secretly fantasized about being a pole instructor too, but only after I fulfill my earlier fantasy of becoming good at it. (My hunch, by the way, is that doing pole is a great way to regain a literal sense of self-control by actually controlling one’s own body in amazing ways…that’s a great antidote to frustration).

• CByrdFly

January 17, 2014 at 6:00 am

I am a surgical assist. I help do surgery, specializing in orthopedics 🙂 the closest pole studio is almost 2 hours away from me here in Michigan. But I have my own pole room! I also have an etsy shop. I am a mommy of 2, I have 2 little boys that are 2 and 4.

• ErinHClark007

January 17, 2014 at 8:42 am

It never ceases to amaze me that polers are so diverse in their careers. I’m just finishing up my Master of Arts in Islamic Studies, and am currently waiting to hear back from PhD programs. Fingers crossed!

• xylina

January 17, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I worked part time as a home health provider and I worn full time as a manager in fast food pays the bills

• polebravely

January 17, 2014 at 8:39 pm

I used to be a high school teacher, then I went back to school and got my law degree and am an attorney. Currently, I am doing a two year clerkship with Judges, I hope to move onto the Attorney General’s office at the end of my term or enter the private sector.

• moonlitmare

January 18, 2014 at 7:58 am

Silly autocorrect makes it seem I talk like a cave man. Reposting my update: I have an interview with Purdue’s Veterinary Medicine program this coming Friday. I’ve been searching answers to possible questions & I’m struggling with the current event questions. I feel like most of the other kids have a Dr. at their back supporting them telling them what to say & I just have to guess. I’ve talked my way into a lot of places I hope I can talk my way into this.

• grayeyes

January 18, 2014 at 10:47 am

Good luck with that interview Moonlitmare! I know getting into vet school is very competitive–you can do it!

• chilly bird

January 18, 2014 at 11:03 pm

I’m a landscape architect intern with a passion for stormwater management and historic preservation. I recently graduated and am getting started moving toward registration- and in the spare time I don’t spend dancing, I’m looking at going back to school for computer science.

• poletrotter

January 19, 2014 at 10:52 am

First of all, I wish I could hug you all and tell each of you how incredible, powerful and inspiring you are. I read the entire thread and it was worth it!

I’m a stay at home wife for the moment. My husband needs A LOT of support in his work from home (online pro-poker player with crazy hours) so I keep us, our health and his career supported. Other than that, I have studied so many things and not found them to be worth it for my own self growth. Marketing for a semester in Texas, Marine Biology for two years in Hawaii and more recently in Canada I was studying to enter the print industry. I’ve let go of all of those things to follow my passions for real.

Pole taught me to love my body, then along came yoga and I’m hooked! I’m in the middle of preparing us for yet another international move as I have plans to go get my yoga teacher certification from a school on the Gold Coast of Australia. I love to work with vegetarian food and believe that with the support of my husband I can give back to the world through education on healthy organic food and all types of movement. I share food inspiration via Instagram right now but have plans for a food blog and eventually a cook book, even if it just an e-book. I don’t know, I guess I’m just a granola crunchy, hippy dippy, crystal loving yogi in a modern paradox. 🙂

• HellOnHeelsNH

January 19, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Oooo ^^^ i need some veggie ideas, went vegetarian this year and I am bored lol…

Ok I’m a jack of all trades, right now I’m laid off… Normally I’m a medical assistant and head Chef, alot of restaurants are closing down because of the economy, so I’m laid off…and med assisting isn’t paying enough here and I have my resume out everywhere with no call backs coming… So I’ve had to go back to dancing… Its quite a whirlwind right now and I will find something….I would still love to open my own Pole studio someday and also go back to school… For now day to day praying ill get called back

• JenLFG

January 20, 2014 at 8:13 am

right now i am a housewife 🙂
    years ago i was a national account manager for a helium company, then i left that job to go into designing & sewing stage backdrops with my dad’s company. after that i taught level 1 pole at pole waxers & i also taught girls night out 🙂

now i stay home while my hubby works. we are vegan so i make most of our meals from scratch (except for breakfasts), take care of our 4 baby animals, all the laundry & cleaning. i pole 3 days a week 🙂

• Sassypants

January 20, 2014 at 8:25 am

Update from my last post: I am now a research associate in a cognitive neuroscience lab. I’m studying episodic memory in rats with hopes of clinical applications to Alzheimer’s populations.

• BonnieAndClyde

January 21, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Wow! I scrolled down and read quite a few statements and I am thoroughly impressed. I am a preschool teacher, art enthusiast and addicted poler! I have to say that the professions that all you awesome ladies are performing, is to say the least, a boo to the community of misinformed people who want to judge and label pole strictly as a stripper “sport”! “Pride in Pole”!!!

Page 21 of 22