StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What Video Camera to Buy?

• What Video Camera to Buy?

Posted by Jill on November 20, 2009 at 6:18 pm

I’d like to start recording & posting videos, but need to get a camera and have no idea what kind to get. I was wondering what most of you use, or if anyone has any suggestions on good video recorders for recording my dancing? That’s mainly what I’ll be using it for. Oh, and of course I’m looking for a budget-friendly one! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

minicoopergrl replied 14 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • minicoopergrl

December 8, 2009 at 2:49 pm

I use a JVC camcorder. my IL’s got it for us as an xmas present and ive been using it mostly for videos. Its pretty basic but definitley more advanced than a flip camera. The flip camera is very easy to use and upload from what ive heard. I have a degree in TV production so im kinda picky in what im looking for in a camcorder.

for me I prefer to do mine in wide screen and manual adjust the focus. I also like a view finder than a lcd display screen.

Id go to best buy, target, walmart etc and play w/the cameras that your interested in. Thats the only way your going to know what you like.

• Jill

December 8, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Thanks for the info! I’ve been looking into some online, but like you said, I need to get into one of those stores and check them out. I use a MAC, but I think most are compatible now. Well thank you for the input, and hopefully I’ll get some videos up soon and join in!

• minicoopergrl

December 8, 2009 at 5:38 pm

I love my mac! I have an older one (ibook clamshell edition) and it runs just as good as my pc. I havent been able to use Imovie yet but when I upgrade to a new mac, ill be playing w/it.

Also ask about what cords you will need for your camera while your there. I had to buy a few more pieces for the camcorder to upload to the computer.

• Veena

Administrator
    December 9, 2009 at 4:21 am

I have a flip mino and LOVE IT! This isn’t what I record my lessons on but I do use if for some of my dance videos. Its easy to use and nice and small. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_santa.gif

• Elyse Hauke

December 9, 2009 at 5:54 am

i have a flip too and its wonderful. The only problem I have with mine is that it is only 60 mins. and believe it or not that can go by very quickly. So if you need longer you’ll need a laptop nearby to dump what you just recorded to make room for more. So I’d recommend the 120 min. model.

I have a feeling I will need to record even more than that for the DC Jam and I am kinda thinking I should get a camera that holds sd cards so all i have to do is switch those out when I need more room. Rather than having to drag my laptop everywhere. Any ideas on cheap cameras that have sd cards?

• minicoopergrl

December 9, 2009 at 11:36 am

not to my knowledge about the cameras w/sd cards. Im still very old school and use hi8mm film. But I would look around and play with the ones they have out (thats what they are there for!). Im unsure how long my battery life is in my JVC considering I only use it for about 10min max for videos. I guess I should use it more often esp w/the kids https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif