StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Weight grows

• Weight grows

Posted by Lita2422 on February 2, 2016 at 10:36 pm

I stopped any sport activities September 2015 and quit smoking as well. I put 10 kg on. I restarted poling end of December. I’m poling almost every day, having a healthy diet, but my weight keeps growing. I feel a bit desperate to be honest. Did any of you experience something like that and what did you do?

litlbit replied 8 years, 2 months ago 11 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • TangledGiddy

February 3, 2016 at 1:34 am

I’m almost in the same boat. I quit jan 15′ and my weight rose I’m 20 pounds heavier over the last year. I bought my pole in November and I’m unable to even do every other day due to rhomboid knots. So like you I am upset I haven’t made it everyday yet, but the wieght did stop and I’m thankful it stopped, now I’d like to get it off. A year out and I’m still quit but it’s time for it to come off since IV handled having no ciggarettes ever again.
    I would just have more patience with your body, it’s a big change for your brain and any hormone/metabolism imbalances and at 6 months I was suffering terribly still, but a year out I feel more normal.
    There also is some advice to make sure you are eating enough to sustain your activities if you are poling everyday. Sometimes your body may hold onto weight if you are not eating enough. I’m in my early 30’s and I know that age may be an issue as well. I haven’t solved my issue yet but the weight stopped going up and that’s progress for me so far. But it took 10 months at least before it stopped for me.
    Good luck with your quit I know mine is precious the weight is secondary. Congrats it’s a big accomplishment!

• Runemist34

February 3, 2016 at 5:43 am

Actually, quite a few people find that this is their “issue” around beginning exercise after a long period away from it.
    Those who are looking to “lose weight,” as in lose fat and see the number on the scale go down, can be very judgmental of themselves, and very frustrated when that number doesn’t magically go down immediately.
    However, what you are doing is building muscle- the body isn’t going to just drop the fat content immediately, it’s going to respond to the exercise you are doing, which means building muscle.
    The muscle will, eventually, begin to help with your fat-loss goals, and you will see change, but you must build it first.
    Muscle weighs quite a bit more than fat, so the number on the scale may go up for a while, and then plateau, but you may see your body composition change during that plateau stage.

• Lita2422

February 3, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Thank you for your answers! I looked at myself in mirror today and saw much more healthier and stronger person as I was before. Weight really is secondary!

• Lucca Valentine

February 4, 2016 at 2:16 am

I gained 20 lbs when I started pole but my measurements never really changed. Muscle weighs a lot 💪 Have no fear my dear!

• Veena

Administrator
    February 4, 2016 at 9:41 pm

First thing….. throw the scale out the window lol. As mentioned when you begin training you’ll gain muscle mass so it will add up. Keep up with the strength work, but to increase weight loss you’ll want to make sure you’re getting a good session of cardio every day. Also try and walk or take the stair whenever possible, sitting for long period of time is not good! Anything that isn’t flexibility training that’s in the routine and combo section will work as cardio. 🙂

• Lita2422

February 7, 2016 at 9:41 am

Thank you one more time for all replays! Special thank you Veena for amazing lessons and for 30 days take off! I believe I will be back in form again!

• RissK

February 8, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Veena and Runemist34 are right. I try to see how my clothes fit, or use measurements to see how well I’m doing. Keep track of things like how many pole holds you do and for how long, rather than the weight. The scale measures the effect of gravity on your body, it doesn’t measure your worth or dedication, strength or beauty!

• Jenn1989

February 8, 2016 at 9:24 pm

I agree with letting go of the scale. I used to be guilty of weighing myself daily and getting upset by the normal fluctuations. I’ve also gained around 12lbs since starting pole, but my measurements actually went down. Now I just try to keep track of my measurements and how clothes fit, and I’ll use myfitnesspal off and on if I think my eating is getting out of hand. It’s funny to see old pictures and notice how skinny my arms used to be compared to now. 😊

• Cantetinza17

February 8, 2016 at 11:11 pm

I had to stop poling a year ago because I moved from an apt. to a house and I did it all by myself while my hubby was on deployment. I just started poling off and on again since about October November time frame. I gained so much weight! It’s the heaviest that I’ve ever been and I was so upset because I would have to start all over again.Not to mention in the year we want to add someone to the family and I just don’t want to be 4’11 and being 200lbs. let me tell you I got depressed. I only got on the scale 1 time just to see how much I gained and that was it. If you continue to look you will become obsessed on the numbers and it could turn into an unhealthy obsession. Instead I focused on my progress poling and how my clothes fit. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you always have to remind yourself of that. I would say that maybe you can add more cardio or may revamp what you are eating or something like that. Oh I remember one thing that really help take the weight off and let me see my hard earned progress was weight training.

• Anonyma

February 10, 2016 at 4:45 am

same here…. i havent toutched a pole in a while…. tonight i was like… i lost all my skills and im getting out of shape… so i came back here to kick my own ass

• Mike Burns

February 12, 2016 at 7:04 am

When I started poling, I began to pack on pounds like crazy! The first time I put on 50 lbs in 9 months. I lost it all when I did my doctorate program. Then, after a 3 or 4 year break, I started poling again and I’ve put on 42 lbs in the last 9 months. Now, before you write this experience as irrelevant and exactly the opposite of what you want to hear, I do have a point. Let me point out that it’s hard for a guy to be a size 0 because guys are often extremely uncouth in commenting about each other’s weight. I have a coworker who gave me the nickname skeletor” for a while. Here’s the point, I won’t deny that men and women’s bodies respond very differently to physical training but any training that makes you stronger will invariably build muscle mass. Body weight exercises like those found in pole are an extremely effective type of weight training (and that’s part of what I LOVE about pole). We’re so in the mindset that added pounds are nothing more than added fat. That is typically true because physical exertion remains a constant throughout a day/week/month/year. However, for the athlete, adding pounds while training means something totally different. That weight gain is almost certainly not from fat but pure muscle. I use the scale as a motivator but my goal is to increase in size. If my number doesn’t go up, I go back for another round of food. If it goes up, then I feel good about that and know that my hard work is paying off. If you’re training, eating healthy, and still adding pounds, you should call your friends and brag about it… and I agree with Veena, throw your scale out. For me, I use a mirror and WATCH my body transform. The number on a scale isn’t going to tell you anything useful. I’ve seen daily fluctuations of as much as 8 lbs just from how much food is currently being digested, how much water I’ve had in the last few hours, what’s in my pockets, and which articles of clothing/shoes I’m wearing at the moment. A mirror gives me a much more complete and accurate story.

• litlbit

February 14, 2016 at 12:13 am

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. Fat takes up more space in volume than muscle. A pound is a pound, however fat takes up approx. 18% more space per pound, so if your clothes aren’t going up in size, you are replacing fat with muscle, which in turn will burn more fat, your body becomes more efficient. 🙂