StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions WTF X-POLE HELP!!!

• WTF X-POLE HELP!!!

Posted by JiGsAwChIcK13 on August 23, 2009 at 5:11 am

Okay, I just recieved my 50mm chrome x-pole (ordered from this website!) yesterday. I assembled it an hour ago, following all steps carefully and triple checking my proceedure. Once the pole was up I tested it out by pulling on it and it seemed sturdy. I put my whole body weight on it, pushed, pulled, everything and it didn’t move. I tried some dips and it was fine. Finally I thought I was okay to do a basic fireman. I was confident the pole would be fine. Suddenly…IT CAME CRASHING DOWN!!!!!!!! The fucking thing came crashing down on me and shattered my fan. Lucky it didn’t hurt me or my dog or break my television set or dent the walls.

I am 5’6" and weigh 111 lbs, I’m no where near the weight maximum for this product. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?

I put my pole in the living room on normal carpeting. I think I might know what the problem was – we had to unscrew the very top part of the pole a lot to get it to go near the ceiling. I thought they said that you should get more extensions if the pole was more than a width of your hand away from the ceiling. HOWEVER, my ceiling was not even 9 feet high. I thought the X-Pole could reach 9 feet without extra extensions. Apparently not…

I am so confused, will someone please help me!

Bungie01 replied 12 years, 4 months ago 11 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Meleania

August 23, 2009 at 5:38 am

Ooook..soooo… you put your pole up with just the A and B parts and unscrewed the adjuster screw all the way out almost to get it to make up the difference? is that what happened? if so then yes that is why your pole came down.
    I think for 9ft you need to use the A and B main poles as well as the longer extension. If you used the extension piece too then it must of come down because you didnt screw it tight enough and your weight pressing it into the carpet is what made it came down cuz thats like an extra half inch to inch of difference. When I put my pole up I actually climb the pole to get that last couple twists of the adjuster screw in so I know its pressing into the carpet. So theres 2 possible scenarios of what could of gone wrong

• Jenn

August 23, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I have seen an X pole come down a couple times before, even after it was checked and re-tightened. It may not be anything you did. One thing I did want to mention though, is that when you initially put an Xpole up on carpet, you may have to re-tighten it a couple times as you’re poling, because as the pole sinks more and more into the carpet, it depresses the carpeting, thereby creating more room between the pole and the carpeted floor.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 23, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Yes Melania, you need to use all of the pieces for the pole if your ceiling is 9ft. The X pole CAN extend to 9ft. If it fell down it was not installed properly! Are you sure you ceiling are 9ft? Also you MUST center the pole under one stud/joist? Ceilings flex and the joist keeps the pole locked in place. If you have carpet you must hang or stand with full body weight on the pole, then re tighten, do this a few times… That’s why they have the lady standing on the base of the pole on the dvd. I have my X extended to 9ft on carpet and NEVER had a problem. ANY pole can fall if not installed properly, I had a permanent platinum stages pole fall down on me. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_surprised.gif Re check that you have put it together right, haven’t over extended it, and that you have put it in the right place and follow the process of putting up carefully.

• JiGsAwChIcK13

August 24, 2009 at 6:14 am

I did use all the pieces :/ I thought I put it up right. Urg, better make sure I get it up secure next time. It’ll go in my garage so it doesn’t break shit.

• moth

August 24, 2009 at 4:09 pm

The first time I put my X-pole up, it moved after a few spins. I nearly swore off the thing forever but it just took a few tries until I got the hang of putting it up. My problem was that the dome wasn’t compleeetely flat on the ceiling – I blame it on me being so short I couldn’t really see… but I think I was just too impatient to get going. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_redface.gif https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif

You’ll be fine once you get it sussed – they feel really solid when they’re put up properly, even on carpet! :]

• polebunny

August 28, 2009 at 5:02 pm

my ceiling is just above nine feet…i used the smaller extension it comes with. also you have to unscrew the top a LOT to make sure its is really tight…when i installed mine it seemed sturdy but it moved a little when i did a spin, so i had to wait for help installing, you just need to make sure the top is really tight to the ceiling

• ShyGirl

September 3, 2009 at 3:09 am

My X Pole arrived just today (That I bought from Studio Veena, yay!) and I’ve just sent an email to the manufacturer because I have a similiar question. I’ve used ALL the parts (A, B, both extensions) and my ceiling is 108" exactly. If I extend the pole (not too tightly even) all the way up, only about 1" of the threading is left inside of the pole. I have to extend it far more than the ‘hand width’ that the video says you should never extend beyond. Both my boyfriend and I have measured quite a few times to the exact spot that the pole is sitting, and it’s always 108" tall. I’m baffled! I’m requesting a proper extension from X pole or an explanation as to what I’m doing wrong, because everything I read beforehand said that this pole could be used with my ceiling. I haven’t yet tried spinning on it or anything because it doesn’t seem safe with that much of an extension being used. I have measured the pole extended as far as they say is OK and it is NOT 108" inches long including the ceiling part and the base. Am I missing a piece? Are you folks really using your pole on a 108" ceiling and not having to thread it out so much?

Thanks!! I’d love to start spinning as soon as possible. I’ve taken classes for a number of months, but I had to buy a pole for home because my work/school schedule simply can’t fit classes as well. I’m so excited!!!

• miss fern

September 3, 2009 at 4:14 am

108" = 2743.2 mm (according to Google, and my calculator).

If you look at this ceiling height to x-pole parts guide here, http://www.xpole.com.au/height.htm – you see you only just fall in the last category before having to buy additional extensions. You should use both the 125mm + 250mm and wind it up as far as it needs to be, to feel tight.

Mine is wound up further than the ‘hand width’ thing and it hasn’t come down in over a year AND it’s on carpet!

If you still don’t feel secure, I recommend buying the 500mm extension (to replace the two default ones) which fits ceilings in the range 2735 – 2870mm (107.6" to 112.9").

• TrophyWife

September 4, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Ok MY X-Pole has come down ONE time and that was b/c i never tightened it, since then i tighten it about once a day if im doing alot of spins or things for a long while but she is deffinatly in there now haha…

HOWEVER I too have a 9 ft ceiling and its WAY too extented I have a beam that comes down and i use that to put my pole up on b/c i was having to extend so far…so im asking ARE there people who have the x pole exteneded to fit a 9 ft ceiling (even way past the "hand" measument) and its stable…I was going to buy the extention piece b/c right now its like at the very lowest it can fit in a room and i cant climb high at all

• teresawitch

September 4, 2009 at 6:52 pm

was on my x pole last week and the damn thing slipped. it is on carpet so we tightned it up and then we heard a cracking sound. There is now a small crack in my ceiling about 6 inches away from the dome of the pole. Haven’t dared use the pole in case i bring my ceiling down so i am looking for someone to help me build a podium and free standing pole. i will not be beaten and will get back into poling at home, untill then just have to be happy with my one class a week.

• Bungie01

January 14, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Teresawitch – If your ceiling cracked from the pressure, that probably means your pole either wasn't centered on the joist, or the top dome wasn't completely flat to the ceiling.

I had a friend who experienced the same thing, and we found out that it was under a flat and thin stud instead of a joist, she's never had a problem since then. I've never seen any other house with a ceiling like this, but in this case, the pole would need to be placed right under the cross point of the boards.

(note that the bottom boards were more thin and flexible than the below picture, its just for reference.

http://www.internationalbeams.com/wp-content/themes/wpremix3/images/photos/I_joist_photo_4.jpg

• Bungie01

January 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Teresawitch – If your ceiling cracked from the pressure, that probably means your pole either wasn't centered on the joist, or the top dome wasn't completely flat to the ceiling.

I had a friend who experienced the same thing, and we found out that it was under a flat and thin stud instead of a joist, she's never had a problem since then. I've never seen any other house with a ceiling like this, but in this case, the pole would need to be placed right under the cross point of the boards.

(note that the bottom boards were more thin and flexible than the below picture, its just for reference.

http://www.internationalbeams.com/wp-content/themes/wpremix3/images/photos/I_joist_photo_4.jpg

I had to repost this because that text was way too green to read, I didn't even change the color lol, I have no idea why it posted green.