StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions WRIST BANDS??

• yogabeachbabe

March 7, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Funny, one of my pole teachers was just talking about that yesterday. She said that when you’re just starting pole, you tend to grip the pole for dear life (aka "the death grip"), and that’s when you get pole burns because your wrist is stiff due to the grip. Once you progress and get more confidence and gain strength, the grip loosens up. We do some "pole holds" as warm up to help with that:
    stand right behind your pole (belly can touch)
    MAKING SURE YOUR SHOULDERS ARE DOWN AND BACK (VERY IMPORTANT)
    grip the pole using baseball grip
    engage abs
    come onto your toes
    bend one knee, then the other
    then slowly release grip so you gently slide down to your knees
    repeat and make sure you switch which hand is on top

I’ve tried using wrist bands because I think they look cool, but they’ve never worked for me.
    I hope this helps a bit.

• jeng

March 7, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I was the only one in my beginner class that seemed to have issues with my wrists. I have eczema on my wrists so doing pole irritated it alot. I just when to dick’s sporting goods and bought some. They work great.

• Fleur

March 7, 2009 at 10:21 pm

It is true that the pole burn may be due to death gripping the pole and this will subside with strength and experience but if it is really bothering you, I see nothing wrong with using wrist bands.

• kerrierou

March 8, 2009 at 4:32 am

thanks guys! yeah it didnt happen till i did a certain spin where my arm was pushed right against the pole. so its been bothering me just doing regular spins. but i should probably just cover it till it heals.
    thanks for your replies!

• Fleur

March 8, 2009 at 8:59 am

Hey,

There are very few spins, in fact I can’t really think of any, where your wrist is supposed to be right up against the pole, make sure you;re using the bracket arm to push you out and away from the pole. It will improve with strength and you won’t have that problem anymore https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• LittleMissLola

March 8, 2009 at 6:10 pm

The reverse grab is probably the spin, when your body swings round the pole the wrist can sometimes rub on the pole, I had red wrists after I first learnt it.

• kerrierou

March 8, 2009 at 7:23 pm

yesss thats the one i think. i wasn’t sure of the name since all the names used on here are different from what my teacher used. she called it the flying pole cat lol. but yeah when you kick ur legs up and grab from behind and ship with your back to the pole. the arm holding the pole rubbed against it. i was just learning and wasnt doing it very well lol so that could be w too

• SaschaPoles

March 10, 2009 at 12:56 am

i thought i heard once that your wrist wasn’t really supposed to touch the pole when doing spins (in general), just like fleur said….but ive gotten pole burn on my wrists too. you can get wrist-bands anywhere really- at a sporting goods store, at a store like target or kmart, walmart….places like that https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif