StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Unknown move

• Unknown move

Posted by Ladyvi on March 1, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Hi guys, I have jus been shown a move known to our pole studio as an ‘escape’, although when I try to youtube or search for it, its not recognised. Our studio tends to have different names for moves and was wondering if anyone could help. The ‘escape’ involves climbing into a ‘dropback’ and inverting your torso sideways on the pole. Then with a catapillar grip you let go of yours legs and tumble, catching your legs into a sitting position on the pole. Can anybody shed some light on this move? Ta X

amy replied 14 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • amy

March 1, 2010 at 4:18 pm

maybe if you could post a video? not sure what a dropback or caterpillar grip are either… https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_scratch.gif

• Mary Ellyn

March 1, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Is this it? This is done in SUPER slow motion with incredible strength but it will probably show you how to break it down even better that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8PjoTUR7m4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edited to add: the moves starts at 1:17

• amy

March 1, 2010 at 5:01 pm

is it the last move in this video?

http://ver3.studioveena.com/lessons/view/3108

• Mary Ellyn

March 1, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Ooops…forgot to add that the link I posted it’s at 1:17. It’s pretty much the same as the one amyxshi posted just slower.

• amy

March 1, 2010 at 5:53 pm

thanks for posting that link empy! i had seen people do it slowly but didn’t realize you go into a flag by transitioning with your body horizontal, i was just falling into it. i’ll try that later!

• Mary Ellyn

March 1, 2010 at 6:10 pm

You’re welcome!
    It’s really barely a flag…it’s more the way you grip and the "concept" as you drop down unless you’re strong enough to stop at the flag position.

• amy

March 1, 2010 at 9:23 pm

when i was doing the drop, i had my body parallel (stomach facing) to the floor the entire time… i would think it’s tougher to control descent that way, since there really aren’t any muscles you can use– as opposed to having your side facing the floor, teh way she does it? anyway, i’ll see how it goes! i can hold a flag for a little bit– but this could be a great way to strengthen my flag too, by controlling the descent into it. =)

• MissJulie

March 2, 2010 at 1:32 am

I’m working on this one right now as well. If anyone knows any great ways of getting into it, lemme know. I also really love the way karol comes down from forearm grip ayesha in a similar style… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGcI-ZeDQZg&feature=sub

It’s at 4 min 8 seconds on Karol’s vid. The starting move is different but the concept is the same.

as for the former one (angela’s vid) it feels safe, but I hate that it looks almost like i’m jumping down. I want to come down into flag slowly and then wrap my legs around the pole and sit upright. Perhaps i need to work on core strength and balance more and work on somehow facing the side of the pole instead of going straight down. I think one of the keys would be getting my legs in some sort of angle so they’re not straight out. The further they are from your midline, the harder it is to hold your limbs. I’m also having a hard time getting my arms in a way where theyre not spread out, I think they both need to be close to the pole and close to your head.

Anyway, can’t wait to not be sick anymore so I can try again!

• Woobidewoo

March 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Thanks guys. Its a bit different but I can use the vids to see how to control it a bit better.X

• amy

March 8, 2010 at 2:46 am

ok, got this today! another tip: that bottom hand, the higher up you have it (closer to your torso) the easier it is to control, because you can stabilize your body by sticking your elbow into your ribs and bracing yourself that way too– just likek when you do a regular flag. i had my lower hand wayyyy far down which made it a lot harder.