StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Twisted Grip Pencil?

• Twisted Grip Pencil?

Posted by michaelaarghh on November 8, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Hello! Wondering if anyone has any advice on this one!
    I have a performance coming up, and at the beginning I have a twisted grip shouldermount to a twisted grip extended butterfly. I then want to go from the ext butterfly to pencil, but can’t seem to hold my balance. When doing the ext butterfly I’m looking at my bottom hand, so I think I need to shift my gaze to my feet, but I wonder if it also has something to do with hips being further away from the pole?

I just can’t work out this transition so hoping someone can help me out! I can do normal ayesha to pencil fine, and hold it for what feels like forever, so it’s not a strength issue. TIA! 🙂

(P.S. Not looking for a debate about the merits of Twisted grip, so don’t want any comments about that, please and thank you!)

michaelaarghh replied 9 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drsltfl2978

November 9, 2014 at 2:23 pm

What about bringing your other ankle to the pole in that piston/’D’ position, then you have your weight centered and can easily transition to pencil?

• Cuwoody

November 9, 2014 at 4:02 pm

It is hard to directly from an extended butterfly to a pencil/straight edge. With extended butterfly you have already dropped and rotated your hips. You have to have your hips higher for a straight edge. You can do an ayesha to pencil or D to pencil.

• michaelaarghh

November 9, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Ahhh yeah maybe that is it, I can’t get my centre of balance in it because of where my hips are.
    Didn’t even think about that. I’ll try bringing my feet to a D and see if that makes it easier!
    Thanks guys!