StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Twisted Grip Hold

• Twisted Grip Hold

Posted by jeng on March 4, 2010 at 11:51 pm

So I can finally do the twisted grip handspring. But I’d like to start working on lifting into it. I was going to just try holding the position for a few seconds before attempting to lift but every time I try it seems like my bottom arm and body ends up giving in and I end up twisting into the pole instead of being able to hold by body away from the pole.

Any suggestions?

amy replied 14 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Sapphirecatzeye

March 5, 2010 at 4:09 am

i just learned this last week, from the time i learned TG handspring it took me about two weeks of practice almost every day except for a day or two off on the weekend too get the lift, it is a KILLER on your shoulders. im double jointed , so i wasnt experience much wrist pain but then my shoulders were popping out of place the next morning and sore. its def a move to take your time on. i really wouldnt rush it bc you can hurt yourself doing it. but i think its extremely quick way to get arm strength. every day i do it a few times i see improvement the next day. but i’m trying to not rush it to much, i guess i get over excited. I really want to be able to do whatever i want with the hold like sarah cretul, but i guess all the daily practice could really pull some thing. I tried it in the middle of the pole instead of on the ground yesterday and herd a pop in my lower shoulder arm https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif so im taking today off lol
    but anyway u were asking for tips, alot of ppl say, pulling with your top arm and pushing with your bottom arm. which this is true how to start. also try slowing down your TG handspring so you get use to the rotating way of your body.

• amy

March 5, 2010 at 4:52 am

a teacher friend recommended that if you are working on the HOLD, practice from a chinese grip upper hand position to save your shoulder the strain. i’m working on this too: all i can say is that in attempting it, i’ve realized that it’s all arms and shoulders for me. i CAN kick into the TG handspring but i don’t, because it feels like it’s not safe to not be able to control it. if i place my hands in TG handpsring position, i turn to face the ceiling and can step up into it (if that makes sense)– not a lift but definitely not kicking. but i feel like iether way, stepping or kicking, you’re using more core than arms/back/shoulders. so i’ve been finding the lift really hard, since i’m not using the right muscles to begin with.

the chinese grip can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtK1R_uJEUk

• joni1

March 5, 2010 at 5:28 am

I really want to get even just the TG HANDSPRING. But there is no one around me who can do it and i don’t know if my hand positioning is right. Im trying to gently kick up but can’t get up there. What is the secret to this. I think I’m strong enough to get it as I can do 12 dead lift pull ups. Can someone please,please ,please, explain the mechanics of this move/ break it down for me? Thanks in advance.

• amy

March 5, 2010 at 5:35 am

can you post a video of what you’re trying? that may be easier…