StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Twisted Grip

• Twisted Grip

Posted by jeng on January 13, 2010 at 1:06 am

Been trying the twisted grip but can’t get my hips up over my head. Are there any good tutorials on how to get into the twisted grip. I’ve seen several video and it seems straight forward but maybe I’m just missing something obvious.

When I used to practice learning the Cartwheel mount I took baby steps like just trying to go into an Cartwheel into extended butterfly rather than right into a split grip aysha.

Any way to do this type of thing with the twisted grip.

mynxpole replied 14 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • RoxyPink

January 13, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I think the easiest way to do it is to…

1. place bottom hand as close to the floor as you can
    2. place top hand into twisted grip position
    3. turn hips to face the ceiling (feels like your doing a back bend)
    4. Kick up

now…I think doing it this way allows you to get the feel for what your body is supposed to do and since your hips are already facing the ceiling they naturally get into the right position. Once you can kick up from here then repeat but move your hands a bit higher up the pole..rinse repeat until you are standing when you go to get into the move..

I actually used this same method when I started working on lifting into the tg! It sounds kind of elementary but I think it really is a great way to get started with the tg…and your not far off the ground so no real danger or crashing!

• mynxpole

February 27, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Hey there! old thread but I just got this today!! YAY!

The things that helped me were:

1) placing my bottom hand lower than I originally had it – so yes, close to the floor as possible.

(now my strong arm (right) I kept on top, not on the bottom – everyone is different)

2) took my right leg and swung it forward then back – think of trying to go into a reverse grab spin or something – opening your legs and reaching back with that leg.

Thos were the 2 biggest things for me. Now it seems easy as pie!

Im sure you got it by now as this is over a year old but….