StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Twisted Grip

• Twisted Grip

Posted by jeng on August 30, 2009 at 4:03 pm

So I thought I would give the twisted grip a go this morning.

I wanted to find out if your dominant hand should be on the bottom like you normally have with the cartweel mount or when doing the aysha for example.

Also any tips for conditioning yourself to get into this move. It feels like I don’t have the ab strength to pull my legs up and my bottom arm keeps bending.

RoxyPink replied 14 years, 11 months ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Jenn

August 30, 2009 at 4:37 pm

I actually have my dominant arm on top for both mounts. One trouble i was having getting into the TG mount was that I was not lowering my head enough when going into it, so I was having trouble getting my legs up over my butt. Wendy Traskos gave me a tip that was extremely helpful. She said to visualize myself upside down in the mirror immediately after I kick up into position. As soon as she said that, I got it on the very next try! I also found it more helpful to start with my lower arm NOT on the pole, although I have noticed a lot of people start with both arms gripping on the pole. One more tip, the lower your top arm is in the beginning, the less you have to kick up to get into position. And if your bottom arm keeps bending, you may not have your arms wide enough apart on the pole. Let me know how your progress goes!

• azzwoo

August 31, 2009 at 8:58 am

I have my dominant hand on the bottom for the cartwheel mount, and on the top for the TG. I think it comes down to personal preference. Why no try it both ways and see which you find easier? https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• deetron

August 31, 2009 at 9:43 am

My dom hand is on top for both moves. Although I’m trying to do them both on both sides – much work to go!!

My tip for the TG – I only just got this one recently and it was the best feeling – is to position your hands where they need to be, and keep trying to "prance" up there with the twisting motion – eventually your body will acknowledge what you are trying to do and let you!! In the last moments I find myself pulling with my upper hand and pushing with my lower to finally get control – sometimes the lower arm slightly bends as it takes the load but you’ve got to straighten it – you should be able to as it will help to bring your body into final position!

If progress seems slow, try lowering your grip down the pole so you are starting with your body more parallel to the floor – then when you have success with that, you can try it each time with your hands higher and higher!!

I love watching fleur’s TG videos – she has a new one on here I think – most deffo got some visual tips off her!

Good luck!!

• jeng

September 4, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Well it doesn’t feel like I’m making any progress on this one. I can’t get my legs up and twisted. Is there a way to get into this move while on the pole that might be easier to just get the idea of what the final hold/position should feel like? I thought about maybe from a raverse aysha?

• deetron

September 5, 2009 at 1:50 pm

From 3:04 in this video, Alethea and Karol (I think those are the right names to the right girls?) get into the twisted grip in interesting ways.. Karol does it from reverse Aysha I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xsc7g8CBiw

• Veena

Administrator
    September 5, 2009 at 5:16 pm

PLEASE be careful with the Twisted Grip….I say leave the Twisted Grip to the amazing Sarah. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif If you have hypermobilty with your joints…be extremely cautious with this move. If you wanna try it, you will need strong core, obliques, lats they are a biggy, biceps, forearms wrists. PLEASE BE CAREFUL…listen to your body, not everyone should try this move. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_geek.gif

• ottersocks

September 5, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I’d like to echo Veena on this one. I have only recently gotten my TG. I tried it months ago (under the tutelage of my friend and co-instructor, the amazing Fleur), and hurt my wrist. Twisting your wrist puts an incredible amount of torque on the outside of the joint and connective tissues. I rested that wrist for months, doing nothing in a twist, until it finally healed. PLEASE be careful trying this move!!
    How did I finally get it? Top arm fairly low ( I have the strong arm up), body angled well out from the pole, start by twisting so that my face and pelvis begin facing the floor and I’m on tiptoe. I kick up and reach the top foot past the pole as I invert. This move is easier with your legs split than it is with them together (as Fleur pointed out to me.)
    PLEASE be careful!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_neutral.gif

• RoxyPink

September 24, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Well it doesn’t feel like I’m making any progress on this one. I can’t get my legs up and twisted. Is there a way to get into this move while on the pole that might be easier to just get the idea of what the final hold/position should feel like? I thought about maybe from a raverse aysha?

sometimes i like to practice my body positioning by inverting and then caterpilling up then instead of doing a regular grip (like for a traditional split grip) I twist my hand around to get the tg grip…then I let go with my feet/legs….think of doing a split grip straight edge with out doing a cartwheel mt…it’s the same idea except you change the grip…