StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Too scared to do an elbow stand

• Too scared to do an elbow stand

Posted by cbr600girl on September 23, 2009 at 7:29 pm

I have this huge problem. I want to learn to do an elbow stand. I have tried using a wall, but before my feet even get midway through the air I totally chicken out. I don’t know why a phobia I guess. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!

miss fern replied 14 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Monz

September 24, 2009 at 2:30 am

Ooo! I can help you with this one! I’ve been teaching myself how to do an elbow stand from the wall. Just keep practicing and you will get more balance. Its like learning how to balance yourself when you stand but you are upside down. I practice against a wall. My fists are about an inch away from the wall. You might hit the wall a little when you first start but your body has to learn somehow. I still have this phobia with handstands against the wall but I’m getting better.

For the elbow stand, I kick up so I’m against the wall. Then I slowly move my torso and butt away from the wall (if its against the wall). Then I move my feet away. At first when I didn’t have any upside down balance, I didn’t get too far. But last night I could hold myself in an elbow stand right next to the wall but not touching the wall for 15 seconds. Thats a lot! I’m not an instructor of any sort so take it for what its worth. At first I couldn’t even go upside down for too long because I was using my head too much. Now I remember to engage my whole arm and my abs. I use my arms to hold my head up so its touching the floor but now pressing against it (hench it was hurting my head) and for some reason, when I thought about engaging my abs, it helped a lot to hold my legs straight above. Hope this helps and I didn’t bore you! Feel free to share your progess!

• Veena

Administrator
    September 24, 2009 at 3:00 am

Yes I second that…use the wall and keep the pressure off your head….engage your shoulders, so your not slumping down into them, so if your ears are to your shoulders that not what you want. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_geek.gif Use the wall its soooo much easier than the pole at first.

• miss fern

September 25, 2009 at 12:23 am

You could also use a wall AND a friend – so that you don’t have to kick so much to get your legs to the wall (that’s what usually holds me back with handstands. I have a fera of handstands that might be similar to your elbow stand fear… I don’t kick enough because I’m worried about faceplanting ahaha! Or when there’s no wall I’m worried about going too far over!)

So yea if you have a friend to grab your legs when you kick them, and she/he can place them against the wall – that’s also a good way to break through the fear barrier.