StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Tips on getting the last few inches in front splits?

• tarah

June 29, 2011 at 1:38 am

Wow, thanks everyone!!  I have been totally frustrated with trying to get the splits, especially having to do so much "warm up" beforehand.  I thought that oversplits were the next step after getting the splits, so I'm glad I read this.  Will try to get that book!!  🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    June 29, 2011 at 6:58 am

Have you guys tried the suggestions in the Getting Started Stretching lesson? https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4dd66731-eab0-4b4a-aa13-41ad0ac37250 I really recommend trying the hot bath and then wearing clothing to keep the heat in. Its a quick way to warm up allowing you to stretch anytime. You only need to sit in the bath or shower for 5-10 mins, but the water must be HOT. Also remember that most people are more flexible in the late afternoon, we are usually the least flexible in the morning. I do all of my flexibility work at night. I'm telling ya baths and the foam rolling each muscle group before you stretch is has worked wonders for me. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• MissKitty83

June 29, 2011 at 11:18 am

Thanks Veena!  A foam roller is next on my list of items to buy. And I have to admit, there's nothing like a hot bath to make you feel decadent and deliciously relaxed. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cool.gif

• PennyGirl

June 29, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Veena, I wish I could "like" your post lol!

• zoe4139

October 21, 2018 at 12:08 am

No one has written on here for 7 years but oh well. So I started working towards my splits just under a month ago now. I’ve only been working towards my left leg splits. I started about 11 inches from the ground and I’m now down to 3 inches away. I stretch every night for about 30-40 minutes and then try for my splits a couple of times as it always gets better the more of them that I do. So far I’m really impressed at how fast my progress has been so any estimates how much love beer it will take for me to get to the ground?

• Veena

Administrator
    October 21, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Hi Zoe, yes this is an old thread. We have many about splits 🙂

How soon you achieve a full split will vary even if you see progress quickly at first. It’s also not uncommon to see progress and them become stuck. If this happens it’s a good idea to vary what stretches you’re doing. The body gets use to movement patterns and will no longer be challenged in the same way at a certain point, unless you switch things up.

I will suggest that if you’re only stretching for left leg splits, start training for all splits, your body will thank you for stretching both sides. In fact you’ll see even better progress if you train your full body, back, shoulders etc. If we just focus on one area that’s when imbalances happen and injuries can occur. Having a split isn’t as important as training properly to reach your bodies full potential.

Feel free to check out my stretching routines here if you haven’t’ use them already!

• LatinPoler

October 22, 2018 at 10:14 pm

I agree with Veena, at least you should start training your right leg split. One side is always going to feel flexier than the other, but you should train equally. I recommend warming up very well, to the point of sweat and slightly out of breath. Variety of squats, lunges and ending up with kicks (never do kicks with cold muscles!). Dress in layers, I love fleece leggings and legwarmers in winter. If it’s very cold, I wear my back warmer too, even if I’m going to focus on legs… the point is to feel warm. Hold your stretches for at least 30 seconds, splits I would say 60-90 seconds. Try techniques like PNF, not only static stretches. Work on squaring your splits. Work on your active flexibility. Use a block under your front foot. Work your middle splits too, it’s also leg stretching that will help with hips mobility. As you can see, you have many options. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2