StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Tips for Phoenix

• Tips for Phoenix

Posted by joni1 on October 18, 2013 at 7:41 am

Hi everyone, Does anyone have any tips on the Phoenix? Do you need to have a twisted grip LIFT to get the phoenix? Has anyone gotten it without 1st getting their TG lift? I have a strong TG controlled small kick and working on my lift right now but want the Phoenix and started training it. Thanks in advance.

FlyingFireBird replied 10 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Lina Spiralyne

October 18, 2013 at 8:00 am

Oh yes, that's fully possible without being able to do a TG lift! I've never practised the lift at all but have been able to do the Phoenix for three years.

For me it really helps to not keep my top arm as high as in an ordinary reverse grab. I can more easily flip my body over that way because the higher you start the longer will be the path your body (legs) have to travel to reach the end position.

• joni1

October 18, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Awesome, thanks Lina, that is inspirational to me knowing it can be done without having the tg lift. Also, do you do the reverse grap in a circular motion around the pole? I was told it should be a triangle motion instead or a regular circular motion spin around the pole. When I kick my leg to the reverse grab my leg kicks and body makes a circular or oval motion around the pole. I cant do the triangular motion as I end up banging my head on the pole on the way back tring to go into the phoenix.

• Lina Spiralyne

October 18, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Yes I move in a circular motion around the pole in my reverse grab.

It's the first time I hear about a triangular motion and I'm sure it's wrong lol ;). It seems to be against all common sense about a spin but I think the people who said possibly FELT that they moved like a triangel. I won't argue about that since we can feel strange things while spinning around.

But I think you should stop trying to make that triangular motion that and just move circular instead. As a matter of I focus hard to move as much in a circle as possible, in any spin.

If you wanna see me do the trick, click on the link. There is one in the very beginning and one around 1:15 🙂 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTTYUnY7ecM&feature=player_detailpage

• Lina Spiralyne

October 18, 2013 at 6:36 pm

*As a matter of fact

• joni1

October 18, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Wow Lina, your super smooth and strong,Your Phoenix looks awesome. Love all your spins. Thanks for the great tips. Gonna go back to my circular reverse grab. I do my reverse grab with my dominant hand at shoulder level and can get a far big spin that way but in my TG grip mount , my dominant top hand is head height. I got to play around with my grip at my phoenix attempts to see which grip height  will work for me.

• FlyingFireBird

October 24, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I don’t have my phoenix yet, but one teacher I had suggested that when you learn it, feel free to use your feet a bit. She had us do the spin, then when our arms were in the right spot, plant a foot and mount like a normal handspring (no adjusting the hands after the spin though, the point is practising getting the hands in the right spot during the spin. If you need to adjust the hands, you need to spin again). Then when we are comfortable with the spin and grip, switch to just “tapping” the foot instead of planting it, so you don’t loose momentum and start weaning off the foot. The theory is that this helps you break down the parts and slowly reduce how much you rely on your feet. This worked for some of my classmates. I’m still at the “plant the foot” stage though. 🙂