StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions The Public is getting worked up again …

• The Public is getting worked up again …

Posted by mariebee on August 13, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I don’t actually know if this is something new OR has already been discussed. A friend posted this on her FB page

Parents Complain About Woman Pole Dancing In Ocean City « CBS Baltimorehttp://baltimore.cbslocal.com/video/10465607-parents-complain-about-woman-pole-dancing-in-ocean-city/

PinkPony replied 9 years, 9 months ago 15 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Webmaster

Administrator
    August 13, 2014 at 1:07 pm

My feeling is that people complain about everything. People complaining about pole dancing gets news coverage because its sensationalization has more entertainment value than covering people complaining about rusty cars, those kids skateboarding in the parking lot or other people’s kids.

When we started StudioVeena pole dancing was much more of a social taboo but responses to finding out Veena is a pole dancer has changed from “Does your husband mind?” to “I’ve seen that and think its amazing.” Because of this I don’t put much stock in the naysayers any more because they will always be there.

• mariebee

August 13, 2014 at 1:45 pm

I feel the same way, people will always come up with something to complain about, and pole happens to be an attention grabber for that mind set. It gets better “play”

This was my post on my friends page… “lol… I would say I’m shocked by everyones “outrage” in the video… You should see some of the faces when we go to events with the stage poles.. The best part is when you can see their minds being opened up to the possibility that we aren’t “just strippers” and no, I have nothing against people who strip for a living, it’s a tough job.”

• Lydia Addams

August 13, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I bet if the pole dancer was a man, no one would say anything except how impressive his strength is. But when it’s a woman, oh heavens, hide the children!

• Rachel Osborne

August 13, 2014 at 3:40 pm

August is always a dull time to work on the news desk 😉

• WebJunk

August 13, 2014 at 6:33 pm

OK. First of all, that specific news report took only the negative side. There are people who have no problem with it but obviously their voices were not included. She did draw large enthusiastic crowds. Many people still stereotype people who are into Pole Dancing. I speak only for myself but I do not care the reason someone wants to pole dance, whether they are also a stripper or how they incorporate pole into their lives or family. I do not think a valid stereotype exists. But I love all the people who also have an interest(or obsession) with pole dancing in general.

Now Chelsea is reportedly a professional stripper and married but if you have been to Ocean City, there are plenty of people walking around dressed the same as she was when performing on the boardwalk. Some wearing even less IMO. She also was doing pole tricks & moves and not a stripper routine of any sort.
    I just sent her an email asking her to come to this website. Hopefully we can see what she has to say in the first person.

• MD5677

August 13, 2014 at 7:59 pm

My 19 yr old son just told me about the story. He told me two ladies at his job were talking about it. He told them that his mom takes pole classes and they said thats cool it is a great way to get exercise. So my take away from this story is that it has people talking about poling in public and as a normal part of discussion. This is a good thing. If you are doing something without malice – good can come from it. I think it is an ingenious idea – more power to her!

• weldtex89

August 13, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I hope someday pole doesn’t carry such negative stigma. It’d be nice to just tell people I pole, not have to slip in, “I pole RECREATIONALLY OF COURSE, NOT FOR MONEY”. Lol. x)

• Prplegrl10

August 14, 2014 at 11:09 am

I was slightly annoyed that the Washington post article on this was so poorly written. They referred to her performing on her “stripper pole”. Just because it is a pole does not mean she was out there stripping! I saw a clip of video on youtube and nothing that she did was inappropriate in my opinion, including her outfit..a bathing suit while at the BEACH. The crowd was making horrible cat calls and saying rude comments about showing the money shot.

• BagLady

August 14, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Yeah, that is an annoying, poorly written article. But good for her! I used to juggle on the street & street performers of every kind get a lot of crap. (It’s just part of the job.) I’m glad she’s out there doing it.

• ORGANIC ANGEL

August 16, 2014 at 9:19 am

Wow. The public sometimes is so dumb. To worry about the real things happening in Gaza, or the killings by police or the fact that there are a million other problems to worry about rather than hating on this poor girl. Lmao at those shaking their heads. Support from all. I was further more disgusted by a recent post I saw on facebook by the local studio owner dissing it.

• GlitterSteph

August 16, 2014 at 8:32 pm

My local news just did the story about the pole community trying to get into the Olympics and the Facebook page blew up with negative and horrible things to say. “In appropriate for viewers” was repeated alot. It was quite frustrating to read!

• PinkPony

August 17, 2014 at 2:21 am

It would be nice if a female in our culture could do what she likes with her body (whether that be sexual in nature or not) and not get penalized for it.
    If a male in a swimsuit did pole tricks, there would be no news story.

• Lucca Valentine

August 17, 2014 at 3:48 am

^^^ this. Pinkpony, that is painfully on point…it’s ridiculous

• ferrous

August 17, 2014 at 5:23 am

Ugh. So much to say on this, so little respect for idiots who judge stuff like pole dancing without knowing a thing about it except ‘ERMAGHERD, STRIPPERS!!’

Totally yes, why the hell can’t a woman do whatever she wants with her body, sexual or not, and totally yes, if a guy was doing the same thing it would be all, ‘Isn’t he amazing?!’

*sigh*

• Amani

August 17, 2014 at 10:14 pm

My feelings are mixed. I don’t want to be considered a stripper BUT I have to give a shout out to the strippers. Growing up I was a tomboy. I never had girlfriends, just couldn’t understand the girl thing. Never got along with women. too catty. too much drama. no real acceptance. the pole community changed that for me. a pole studio was my first positive experience with women in a large group. real girl power. I’ve been to a few studios since and also a few strip clubs. two of my studios were owned by former strippers and those had the most positive girl empowering environments. the owners are two of the most beautiful women inside and out that I know. I have also come across some very accepting and amazing women at strip clubs, taking the time out to interview them out of curiosity. On the one hand I don’t want to be seen as a stripper because of the negative way society sees them but on the other hand these are the first group of women who have truly been accepting of me as a woman, welcomed me to a sisterhood. maybe we women who took up the pole as a matter of fitness or art should be less judgmental on those who do it as a profession. perhaps the change starts with us and not the perverts who don’t know the difference between pole dance, pole fitness, a pole performance… Excuse my grammar errors…not really in the mood for proper English right now.

Page 1 of 2