StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Sweaty hands

• Sweaty hands

Posted by Jessilee on June 28, 2009 at 4:50 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for sweaty hands? I am a new at the pole and am amazed at what each day brings, but I know my sweaty hands inhibit me from what all I can do. Any advice?

JiGsAwChIcK13 replied 15 years, 1 month ago 10 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • legs

June 28, 2009 at 6:36 pm

I have started wiping the pole down with windex – then making sure it’s dry
    and washing and drying my hands before i start practice.
    These keep me from slipping down on my spins when I’m starting, about 15 min into it I have to run the towel down the pole again – I try to practice some of the sexy transition moves into it.

I got a resin bag that I use on my hands (and sometimes inner thighs https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif when I’m working pole sits and inversions, but man. make sure it’s all off before spinning again! think I left some skin behind when i forgot that!

Happy poling

• LittleC

June 28, 2009 at 6:41 pm

My hands are sweatier than usual right now, just because of the heat and humidity outside – so I find I have to wipe the pole down more frequently than usual. I like to use rubbing alcohol, but I have heard of people using Windex or even vodka as well. There are also products like Dry Hands that you can buy online – but I’m hesitant to try that because I don’t want to be too sticky. Using a microfiber cloth to wipe seems to help as well.

Have fun with it – hope that helps!

• Bey28

June 28, 2009 at 10:17 pm

where do you purchase the resin bags from?

• Sparklie

June 28, 2009 at 11:07 pm

I go to a general sports store that has rock climbing gear, and they normally have a large bag of resin for pretty cheap. However, I make small hand sized bags out of muslin to use.

I used dry hands before. It tended to help keep my hands dry for a while, but don’t do too much for me as far as grip goes. It was like baby powder in a liquid form.

• legs

June 29, 2009 at 2:27 am

I got my rosin bag at a sporting goods store in the baseball section.

• Avast

June 29, 2009 at 7:01 am

Hey,

I have major problems with sweaty hands but i just put meths on ’em. It lasts 20-30 mins dancing time
    then just add a tad more if it starts up again.

• Jessilee

June 29, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Thanks everyone! Good advice. I have also thought about gloves. Has anyone used batting gloves or weight lifting type gloves? Oh and Avast, what is it that you use?

• Alicia

June 29, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Well when i first started to pole, I was always looking for a better solution for the hole "sweaty hands prob "… my bf suggested gloves.. so we went around our nearest sports store and bought some cheap par of baseball gloves….make sure theyre nice and tight, but not to the point of cutting off circulation…use them for you inverts and such , u should should b fine https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

enjoy ! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_bounce.gif

• RoxyPink

June 29, 2009 at 2:16 pm

When you are new to pole and/or just learning a new move, your hands will tend to sweat a lot. This is due to being excited and not having complete control in your grip (too tight, too loose, incorrect hand placement…). As you become comfortable in your movements you should notice your sweatyness decrease. There are some people that no matter how long they have poled their hands are still super slippery. In the beginning I used multiple grip aids/hand deoderants but have found over time that I no longer need them unless I am working on something that I am not familiar/comfortable with. I would recommend making sure to wash your hands with a strong soap (I like Dawn) before practicing and then I use rubbing alcohol to clean the pole and my hands during my session. The less grip aids you use, the stronger your actual grip will be! If you do decide to use an aid there are plenty out there to try. I have tried mighty grip (hated it), rosin (felt too much like baby powder), sugar water (too sticky), hairspray, shave gel (great for behind knees or on elbows…but too slippery on hands), tite grip (deoderant for hands…my favorite by far) and gloves (didn’t like gloves at all…made my hands sweat like mad). You really need to try a bunch and then figure which is good for you! Good luck!

• Avast

June 30, 2009 at 5:28 am

Oh and Avast, what is it that you use?

Methylated spirits it drys your skin as it mixes with sweat and as alcohol evaporates very quickly it takes the sweat to, it may not be the best for sensitive skin though.

• Jessilee

June 30, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Wow Roxy I didn’t even think about just being new and over excite, uncomfortable, etc..That makes sense. Thanks for all of your advice! I am so glad I came here. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_sunny.gif

• Poleluver

June 30, 2009 at 2:51 pm

This may sound extreme but my mom gets sweaty hands and upper lip…..anyway she has this roll on perscription stuff that seems to last over a few days. Note- has not been tried with pole dancing.

• JiGsAwChIcK13

July 21, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I have the same problem. I actually have to wear gloves because my hands get so sweaty. My hands are weird in a sense that they perspire ridiculously even when it’s only slightly warm but otherwise they are freezing, they feel like I just took an ice water bath. So I’ve been putting Certain Dri anti-perspirant on my palms, wait to dry, chalk, and then put on my biking gloves. They have a nice sticky grip but it’s not so strong that I stick to the pole, I can still do spins just as well as those without gloves. I would recommend trying other possibilities before resorting to gloves because if you can find a way to be glovefree – do it. Gloves should be your last resort, but know that it is a good option if nothing else works for you.

• Jessilee

July 21, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Thanks Jigsawchick. I have the exact same issue with my hands. Not sure hwy they are so weird, but yeah sweaty yet freezing. I will try the certain dri and if I need the gloves then I will get them too, but maybe the certain dri will work on it’s own.

• JiGsAwChIcK13

July 21, 2009 at 11:39 pm

Thanks Jigsawchick. I have the exact same issue with my hands. Not sure hwy they are so weird, but yeah sweaty yet freezing. I will try the certain dri and if I need the gloves then I will get them too, but maybe the certain dri will work on it’s own.

No problem! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif I would definitely recommend the Certain Dri, hopefully it will work for you. I use it on my underarms and it’s amazing, I don’t sweat all day if I’ve used it.