StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Superman Drop Variation? Wow.

• emotioncatcher

October 26, 2011 at 3:24 am

if you have tried to get from a pike hip hold into superman before, you just have to do it reverse and tuck your legs. i think this variation is less scary then the normal superman drop because you can keep your thighs all the time together (i´m really scared of the normal drop ^^)

• lilblondie

October 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm

So I teach this all the time … everyone seems to love the superman drop.  The beauty of this drop is that you can try it slowly and still keep total control the whole way. 

1) Go into Superman.  Notice which one is your free hand!  Remember it 🙂

2) Keep holding with the top hand.  Take your free hand and hold the pole below you. 

3) With BOTH hands still holding the pole (you may need to slide them down as you go) pike forward, or bend forward at the waist.  Squeeze your thighs as tightly as in a CAR to help support you.  Don't let go with your hands!!  You are aiming to get the underarm of your free (bottom) hand around the pole.  You can do the whole transition slowly and with control, holding on with both thighs and both hands the whole time.  Squeeze hard with your thighs and go slowly.  Once you reach the bottom, the final position is a pike hip hold. 

4) Bonus round!!  Finally — two options

– in this video, she bends her knees as she comes down, so instead of coming into a pike hip hold, she does a tuck hip hold.  I would practice my way first because it involves less overall movement, but hers is not any harder.

– Traditional superman drop: Once I come into the pike hip hold, I transition into scorpio.

Don't be upset that the superman drop scares you …. Fear is a wonderful warning sign from your body that you're not ready, either mentally or physically.  Embrace it, it keeps you from dying 😉  Once you master doing Superman transitions slowly, you can feel confident enough about where your body is going to try the transition faster and faster and use your momentum to "drop".  Eventually, you can dive your free hand past the pole without grabbing it.  YOu'll be there before you know it 🙂

• Maria-Elena Kadala

October 27, 2011 at 9:33 am

Karol Helms does a great tutorial on Superman Drop!

• FuzzyNavel

October 28, 2011 at 5:58 pm

These are great descriptions! Thank you!!!