StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Suggestions on Installing a Pole in an Unfinished Basement

• Suggestions on Installing a Pole in an Unfinished Basement

Posted by Elyse Hauke on September 17, 2009 at 10:30 pm

So, I am getting a pole this weekend and am planning to put it in my basement. I haven’t measured the ceiling yet but I am pretty sure based on my height that it is an 8ft. ceiling but I know it is definitely no more than 10ft. The basement is unfinished with concrete floors and the rafters in the ceiling are exposed. Hooray, no need for a stud finder!

My first question is: Do I need to install a piece of plywood or something directly over where I will be erecting the pole in order to secure it to the ceiling? I think the rafter is a 2×4 so it seems a little slim.

2: The pole I am getting is a Lil’ Mynx original static pole but I am buying it from a person on craigslist since this is strictly a starter pole.

The Lil’ Mynx website says that if you install the pole on hardwood or tile that you should get the non-skid floor pad. Should I get floor pad if I have concrete floors? My thoughts were that I should order one but then I thought I might just buy an area rug so the pole won’t slide and have the added bonus of having a more comfortable floor area that would allow me to do floorwork. Will it be safe If I put an area rug down without the floorpad? Lastly, will I still need the floorpad even if I put a rug down? I am a total newbie so I have no idea what the best way to do get the job done is.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would also love to hear what people’s views or comments are on dancing/floorwork and poling over concrete floors

Thanks in advance!

Elyse Hauke replied 14 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Elyse Hauke

September 17, 2009 at 10:57 pm

So as I am reading more posts, I am seeing that poling on hardwood is preferred to carpeted areas. Instead of a rug, would it be better to buy a piece of linoleum or maybe get the 12×12 peel and stick linoleum tiles? I guess in that case I would definitely need the non skid floorpad.

Any thoughts?