StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Stretching session Q

• Stretching session Q

Posted by Cherished on May 30, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering within your stretch sessions how long of a resting period you have.

I usually do each stretch 3x holding it for a minute long and I'm wondering if I should wait 30 seconds in between or longer (or less). Someone told me a full minute but that seems too long. What is your preference?

beginner2 replied 10 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    May 30, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I personally think its good to very your hold time and the type of stretches you do. Doing 60 seconds for one week, then changing it up to 30 seconds reaching deeper into the stretch with each exhale, for a set of 3 to 10 the next week. There are tons of possibilities!

I usually have one day were I hold stretches for a long time more than 60 and then the rest of the week it will just be light stretching with 30 second holds. You can stretch too much and too often and this could cause tightness!

Oh that reminds me, here's a great blog to read! https://www.studioveena.com/blogs/view/51a0ee3e-b57c-4267-b9f7-5bfd0ac37250

• Veena

Administrator
    May 30, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I forgot to answer the rest time question….again very it! Sometimes resting for only a breath other times waiting 30-60 seconds. 

• beginner2

June 2, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Thanks Veena for the link and for your advice.

@https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/4d8119e7-5908-4e25-b252-2c3c0ac37250, I often rest until I can catch up my breath. It's like a minute or 2 until I go to the next stretch. I often change positions as I'm scared my blood doesn't flow well. If I just finish my splits 1st round for both legs, I'll go to back stretching. After a few cobra poses, I go to splits again for 2nd round. Some back bends and some headstand or elbow stand with the wall. I now will lay down flat on the yoga mat to rest for a few minutes. Then I sit to do the splits again. I feel if I sit to do splits for 10 minutes straight, it might be too long and blood doesn't flow well.

Don't know if it's right or not so right but it seems to be ok with me. Any advice is appreciated.

My whole stretching session often lasts more than 90 minutes, from warming up, stretching to cooling down.