StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Strength & Flexibility moves?

• Strength & Flexibility moves?

Posted by Mindy4pole on May 31, 2012 at 4:01 pm

So, I decided to do the Miss Tx Pole Dance Fitness competion, and I was hoping for some ideas on what their terms mean.  They require both "strength moves" and "flexibility moves".  What are some moves that you would consider amateur level moves in these catagories?  My self concept tell me that I'm not strong or flexible, so any moves I can do are NOT strength or flexibility.  Thanks so much for your help!!
    Mindy

PlatinumATL replied 11 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Mindy4pole

May 31, 2012 at 4:01 pm

So, I decided to do the Miss Tx Pole Dance Fitness competion, and I was hoping for some ideas on what their terms mean.  They require both "strength moves" and "flexibility moves".  What are some moves that you would consider amateur level moves in these catagories?  My self concept tell me that I'm not strong or flexible, so any moves I can do are NOT strength or flexibility.  Thanks so much for your help!!
    Mindy

• Black Orchid

May 31, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Mindy!!! I saw your video. Loved it.

I'd say start by making a list of the moves you can do well first. Then see what category they fall under. I think you will have received a pictionary with illustrated moves too. Maybe that will help some?

I know what you mean though…so many moves to me require both strength AND flexibility so how to choose which category you think they should be under?

Anyway, so excited to see you in SA later this month! xxo

• Mindy4pole

June 1, 2012 at 12:46 am

Thanks Shimi!  Your video is intimidating!!  You're both strong and flexible.  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif 

So, where would I get this pictionary you speak of??  That WOULD help a lot. 

It seems pretty obvious that moves based off of splits (which I can't do) are flexibility moves.

Also, I know that moves like iron-x & twisted grip dead lift are strength moves, but I'm nowhere near being able to do stuff like that.

I don't really feel like I can do any on-the-pole moves very well, so it's hard…  I think I'm nuts for signing up for this.  I'm not even sure I can do all the required moves. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_exclaim.gif  It gives me a place to perform, though, and hopefully the motivation to get more skills back.

<<And, sorry for the double post.  I was impatient and didn't realize it had saved.>>

• Mindy4pole

June 1, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I got the competition package today, and the visual dictioinary DOES help a lot!

• Black Orchid

June 1, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Don't sell yourself short, Mindy! I'm glad the pictionary thingee arrived. I havent had any time to focus on all the things I need to prep…hopefully tomorrow :0

• poledancekitten2000

June 1, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I did the Ms. Virginia competition and my strength moves were flag hold and true grip ayasha.  My flexibility was a split on the floor (which I also used for my 20 second of floor work) and a Jade. A few girls from my studio competed and I know one girl used a shoulder dismount as a strength move and crescent layback for flexibility.  There are tons out there and the packet they send should really help.

• ORGANIC ANGEL

June 2, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Good luck! I think I'll be coming out to watch! The list for the judges is insane!!! Pantera, Estee, Zoraya, Karol…and many others too. Alethea of course will be there and oh my the event seems huge! My browser won't let me get past the first home page so the ladies were kind enough to chat w/ me from that studio.

Don't worry you have until October to be  ready. That should be plenty of time to get a routine and practice on some moves that you do well. Hire a private session and begin to get some direction for some inspiration and to help you work out any "kinks" you are having OR Veena always is up for directing some moves. Shoot her an emailhttps://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

Good luck!

• Mindy4pole

June 2, 2012 at 6:30 pm

You're thinking of Miss Texas Pole Star — it's the one in October.  I don't think I'm going to do it this year…  I won the amatuer division in 2010, right before I got pregnant.  My skill levels are not really back yet, definitely not for the "fitness" division.  So, I'll probably wait until next year.  But yeah, the judges are amazing!

Miss Texas Pole Dance Fitness is a smaller comp, and being held in San Antonio on June 30th.  But Pantera's a judge there, too!  =)

Mindy

• PlatinumATL

June 3, 2012 at 11:26 am

pole dance kittens ideas are right on.  you do get to chose what moves you use, so pick ones you do well and assign them a category.   back flexibility is also an option for flexibility moves.  most moves you know probably would work for 2 categories so you can assign them the categetory that works best for this round.,… ie a handspring could be an invert or a strength move, a double gypsy could be flexilility, strength or invert.  you do not have to deadlift for it to be a strenght move, you just dont want a crazy kick to get into moves.  if you are using part of your floor work as a flexibility move be sure you note that on your compulsory sheet so the judges know to be watching for it.  best of luck in miss tx!