StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Starting back after illness.

• Starting back after illness.

Posted by Polecat88 on February 7, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Hello everyone.

Things were going well until last year, I had a breakdown and became both mentally and physically ill for several months. Since then I've been recovering and I'm on the mend, however my fitness level is not what it was.

I've managed to maintain most of my flexibility and some of my strength as I forced myself to go to the gym as often as I could manage but my muscle stamina and overall cardiovascular fitness is not as good as it was. I find I can only manage a warm up and then 1/2 an hor of pole practice at absolute best before my head hurts. 

I guess I'm really just posting to say hello to everyone again and in the hope that I will be able to find some support here to keep me motivated to start practicing on my pole regularly again as well as going to the gym.

Well this has turned into an essay so I'll leave it there but I want to finish by sending my love out to this wonderful pole community which has been a great support to me in the past.

Love to all,

Polecat

Elektra Vallens replied 11 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Saphyre

February 7, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Welcome back, Polecat! I'm glad to hear that you have recovered. What a journey you must have been on! It is a good sign that you have maintained some of your flexibility and strength, and I'm sure you will be back in the game in no time! Best of luck to you!

• Veena

Administrator
    February 7, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Hi Polecat! The illness sounds very frustrating, and I think there are a lot of members who can relate to having to start over again! I'm glad your feeling better and moving forward. Its nice to have you back! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• Polecat88

February 7, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Thank you Saphyre and Veena,

I'm really glad to be back!

I don't think I will ever be totally free from the psychological side of things but the major issue that stopped me getting on the pole was a severe ear infection that totally messed up my balance, now that's passed I'm really happy to be able to get back on with it.

Here's to new beginnings! 

https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• PlatinumAni

February 7, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Polecat!! So glad to see you pop back up. 🙂 Glad to hear you are feeling better and hope you keep us posted. Message me if you wanna chat.https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• Lee lee

February 7, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Good luck getting back into it! I hope pole ends up being a good outlet for any frustrations you may have.

• Polecat88

February 8, 2013 at 11:52 am

Thanks PlatinumAni and Verticali,

I've really missed this community and after a few knocks to my health and confidence I think it is just what I need to help me get back on my way!

• Polecat88

February 14, 2013 at 7:49 am

UGH I'm so disheartened, I lose strength so easily. 

From practicing S/G ayeshas, deadlift iguana mounts/DM and handsprings I can now barely do aerial inverts despite working at the gym to try to maintain as much strength as I can.

I'm also working on a 45mm chrome which I really dislike. I feel it's too small to grip and the grip is poor compared with the 50mm TG I used to have, but maybe it's just that I'm a lot weaker.

Just feels really… 🙁  

• Elektra Vallens

February 14, 2013 at 8:51 am

Something to think about: I find that my grip strength is the first thing to go if I'm not practicing regularly, while the larger muscle groups take much longer to decondition.  Maybe you should try getting a hand excerciser (I use a Gripmaster I got from amazon for about $10) to see if getting your hand strength up to speed helps.  in any case, if you hang in there, your strength WILL come back.