StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions St John’s wort

• St John’s wort

Posted by Polecat88 on December 15, 2011 at 11:50 am

Hello all,

I have recently come off SSRIs as they were actually making my condition worse, I had had some success with fluoxitene previously but was moved on to citalopram, the offender.

The major episodes which the citalopram caused have passed but I have returned to my base level of feeling 'down'. I am now considering taking St John's wort to help bring my mood up at least during the winter.

Has anyone had any experiance with this herb? I've read a lot online but there are so many opinions that I thought I'd consult my fellow polers.

Polecat x

Portland replied 12 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Dancing Paws

December 15, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I tried it, and I can say I didn't get any bad side effects from it. It didn't help me much because the main culprit of my mood swings was a vitamin D deficiency, which I have since fixed. Have you had you D's checked (since you seem to be in the northern latitudes?)

• Polecat88

December 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I have had general bloodwork for general vitamin levels, which exact ones were done I'm unsure but the Dr said it was all fine. I will try to be more regular with taking my multivits (D+ everything) but I'm glad to know that you didn't have any problems, I'm going to get some 300mg capsules tomorrow and give them a trial one, just take one a day till I'm sure I won't be having a reaction. 

• nymphdancer

December 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm

just be aware they can make your birth control pills if your on any ineffective.

• Polecat88

December 15, 2011 at 4:54 pm

@ NymphDancer – Would it be a problem with and IUD? I read that it can be a problem for oral contraceptives but I assumed it wouldn't be a problem with other methods.

• nymphdancer

December 15, 2011 at 7:41 pm

While I'm not a Dr, I would say since an IUD is a blocking device as opposed to a altering chemical it should be fine. I know there have been issues with oral BC just like there is with antibotics.

• Dancing Paws

December 15, 2011 at 8:56 pm

If you have a mirena, it is possible that the st johns could interfere by speeding up your liver enzymes and therefore munching up the hormone in the mirena faster. That is what my seizure medications did with all oral bcs BUT they were less likely to interfere with the mirena (that’s not to say they wouldn’t.) I would consult a doc on this one since it is a big issue. They probably have literature on it and can tell you if it will eat up the progesterone or not.

• tarah

December 15, 2011 at 11:51 pm

i never had much luck with st. john's wort.  from what i've read, like most herbs, it takes a long time to take effect.  and since you're coming off meds, you might need something stronger.  have you tried SAM-e?  when i was going through depression, it really helped.  it took a few days to take effect.  also – chocolate!   or anything that makes you laugh, or makes you feel good, will raise your serotonin levels.  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• ShellyBelly

December 16, 2011 at 2:40 am

I really did like St Johns Wort! I noticed a big decrease in my depression and experienced no negative side effects. I wish you the best of luck!

• Portland

December 16, 2011 at 5:27 am

I had some success with sam-e as well. I didn't want to use st. johns wart because of its possible effects on birth control. At the time I couldn’t find any research about sam-e effecting it, so I went with that and it surprisingly helped more than I had expected. Also a low dose of vitamin D can help depending, where your live, and how much sun your exposed to. I know this one obvious but exercise helps me a lot too. I can get really depressed at times, and the fatigue and lack of interest are hard barriers for that. But I put my pole in my bedroom, so that I stare at it when I’m in my bed (my usual place I am when I’m depressed) I just have to walk the few steps and try it. I always end up super into it and feel better and energetic when I’m finished. If you ever need some motivation, or someone to talk to, feel free to message me. Hope you feel better soon!