StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Spinning poles

• Spinning poles

Posted by stargazermomma3665 on August 15, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Good evening everyone. When or should I get a spinning pole? What are the pros and cons of one. They intrigue me but I wonder if you need even more grip strength? I have problems right now with dizziness so I am not looking to get one anytime soon, just wondering how far along in my learning I should get one. Maybe I should limit myself to one pole a year lol

ferrous replied 9 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Lucca Valentine

August 15, 2014 at 8:44 pm

I was not really strong enough for spinning pole till…well, depends on what you consider strong enough but I spent a LOT of time just doing the very first spin on veenas intermediate list and doin little stuff on spin mode which I think contributed a lot to building strength period.

You can get a pole that is spin/static whenever I think. Stuff like the first spin on Veenas intermediate lesson list is nice cuz you hold on with your legs AND both hands in baseball grip. Then you get stronger and maybe stand from that into figurehead which wouldn’t use a lot of hand grip because it’s in the armpit and knee. You just work around the strength you do have and it can contribute a lot to building strength more more quickly.

Not sure where you are in your pole journey, but some people start on spin pole! The ladies at bobbies pole studio are exclusively spin and have VERY skinny poles which helps with grip. Even as a kinda tall lady moving from the 50 mm to 45 mm helped a lot with spin work.

Give it some time if you feel that’s right! One pole a year is probably a good goal πŸ˜‰ just keep in mind if the pole is spin/static you can always slowly start to play with spin mode, just be realistic and safe about what you can do on it πŸ™‚

• Veena

Administrator
    August 15, 2014 at 9:04 pm

You can use a spinning pole at any level πŸ™‚ I do usually suggest learning new moves on a static pole. I like to teach static spins first as well, not because they are better, or easier, just because the mechanics of static spins are a bit more challenging to learn if you have only used a spinning pole.

Lucca is right using a very skinny pole for spinny is helpful giving a more secure hand grip for most people. Here’s a video with tips for using spinny poles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtinAzp17s0

• Alexis Corinne

August 15, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I had a moment of bravery. Nope nope nope.

Personally I find it scarier to do spiny mode. You go way faster!! But I would get a pole that has both spin and static mode πŸ™‚

• stargazermomma3665

August 15, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Good to know! Thank you all. I will just stick with my static pole for now, it is a 45mm pole and I can definitely feel the difference in holding onto something bigger. I am only a month and a half into pole work and I haven’t even worked up to spins yet, still working on climbs and sits. I certainly am not going to rush into anything yet.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 15, 2014 at 10:27 pm

No need to rush you’ve got the right idea enjoying your journey! 💗

• ferrous

August 17, 2014 at 5:33 am

Almost _completely_ off-topic, but god I love that outfit that you’re wearing in the video you linked to above, Veena. It’s super-dooper cute! πŸ˜€

Is it actually just boy-style undies or actual fitness wear? Either way, I love it.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 17, 2014 at 10:09 am

Thank you!! My mom and I made them! I came up with the general idea and pattern, she did the measuring and sewing! 💜

• ferrous

August 17, 2014 at 5:03 pm

No way!! That makes the outfit even more awesome!