StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Soon-to-be Manchester new poler

• Soon-to-be Manchester new poler

Posted by Miraine on March 29, 2011 at 12:34 am

Hi all,

I've just signed letting forms and in a fortnight, am moving to a flat in Manchester (UK).  I've never lived alone before, and am really looking forward to the privacy and space to finally buy myself a pole!

I've looked around for classes before, but there was nothing close by.  Sure, there's plenty in Manchester, but given my rather poor level of fitness, I'm rather fond of the idea of having the pole at home to experiment with. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

So, a pole, a chunk of MDF and lino to cover the carpet, and Veena's lessons subscription…   What have I forgotten?..

Miraine replied 13 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Kira

March 29, 2011 at 5:12 am

Hey Miraine, which area of Manchester will you be moving too? You're right, there's quite a few studios around here and most are pretty good. If you've never done pole lessons before it might help you just to go to a beginner course or a couple of lessons at a studio just to make sure you know the basics and important stuff like warming up properly, what muscles you're engaging etc etc. 

Once you are more confident and comfortable to practice by yourself you can go to town on youtube, veenas lessons and dvds etc. Also if you want a pole buddy, I'm always happy to make new pole friends! 😀 

Best of luck, keep us up to date with how you progress 🙂

• Miraine

March 29, 2011 at 8:53 am

Fallowfield (studentville, I hear).  Are you nearby?

A couple of lessons does sound very sensible, though I'm not really in a fit state to make the most of a course at the moment: I'd probably be too tired to do anything but watch after about 2 minutes!  But not injuring yourself is an important consideration obviously.

Thanks, I'm really excited about all this, can't wait to get started.  Currently vexed that I didn't have means to measure the ceiling height, and pretty sure it's over 9', so can't get my pole ordered in advance.

Pole buddy sounds fun, and it's always good to meet new people when you move.  Save me being too much of a pest to my limited number of aquaintances in the area https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• HazelHotpants

March 29, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Couldn't help but being nosey…. Fallowfield is pretty much down the road from me!!!!! 🙂 Bout a 20 minute drive. So if you r ever up for a pole jam or anything… let me know. (Im pretty much on here everyday!!) lol.

I miss my pole buddy (lozzii)!! you definitely pick things up quicker I think when you have a pole friend…. and someone to compare bruises with!! 🙂 xxx

• Miraine

March 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Great, a "pole jam" sounds like fun, though I might need a while to learn a couple of moves first https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• Kira

March 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm

yeah fallowfield is student central! they do some classes in the armitage centre there if you wanted. Don't worry about the fitness thing, when I started if I exerted ANY energy I would get out of breath and go red in the face haha but lots of people are in the same boat as you, wouldn't get worried about them pushing you too far.

I'm nearer toward Bolton way but I'm in town a fair bit for training so I'm always up for a pole jam 😀 Can even help you with some beginner stuff if you needed! 

• Miraine

March 29, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Well they do say getting involved in a sport or society is a good way to meet people when you move to a new area…  Certainly seems that way with pole!  ðŸ˜€

I look forward to meeting up some time!

• Miraine

April 13, 2011 at 11:13 am

Weeeell, I've moved into my lovely new flat, ordered my pole, received my pole…  but no-one in the entirety of the UK has the 750mm extension, apparently!  I've finally figured I can get a 500mm and an extra joint (using both of the little extensions that come with the pole), though I don't suppose that's ideal.  More waiting for post now.  Bother.

I'm currently trying to resist the temptation to experimentally construct the whole thing in either my kitchen or  bathroom, which both have lower false ceilings.  I figure it'd be ok with no weight on it, just to see how it works…  But the question is, can I resist jumping on it once it's up?  Hehe.

Next challenge: to figure out how to find the joists in a 10'6" ceiling, without a stepladder!  That's virtually twice my height https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif