StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Song Ettiquette

• Song Ettiquette

Posted by Charley on November 6, 2013 at 8:09 pm

So, I’m wondering about song Ettiquette. How does it work? If I use a song you used in a competitions no were dancing at the same event but you’re not using that song, am I being rude? What if one of my friends performed to that song before you did? What is the best way to handle song situations without being offensive? Especially a popular one?

Personally I’m flattered if anyone wants to dance to the same song as me, it nevers happens though. I also really enjoy seeing different people use the same song, there are so many layers and I love seeing what it means to each person.

HilaryKate aka LolaSlaytor replied 10 years, 6 months ago 11 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • polergirl

November 6, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I don’t mind it at all. Dance styles are SO different, and I enjoy being able to see how someone else interpreted the same music.

• verucablue

November 6, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Charley I want to see you dance to everything 😄

• uvagirl76

November 13, 2013 at 11:46 am

some people get really possessive over songs and that’s just darn silly. i would love to see a monthly challenge where everyone dances to the same song. different peoples interpretations of a the same song would be like listening to several people say the word “love”.

• polergirl

November 13, 2013 at 12:07 pm

We did that….I think it was last year? I loved seeing how different people danced to the same songs, it was so cool.

• kasanya

November 13, 2013 at 1:23 pm

There’s a FB group that does that on a weekly basis. It’s called Freestyle Friday:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/351634521579593/

• Amiloo

November 13, 2013 at 2:12 pm

What an interesting post!!
    It very true, I get nervous when I decide to dance to something I know one of my fellow students have also danced to! But luckily they are fine about it, however I have overheard numerous people complaining about others ‘copying’ them over song choice which is crazy and some get really nasty about it.
    I think watching different dances to the same song is a very good way to expand your dance style horizons!!

• aliceBheartless

November 13, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Seems silly to be possessive over a song, unless you created that song yourself. Otherwise, a person is just taking ownership of something they don’t own. To me, that makes no sense. I know people can be nasty about song choice, but to me it seems unjustified.

• poledanceromance

November 17, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I also agree that it’s unjustified to be insistent about what is “your” music. Especially in this day and age where pole dancing has emerged from its early infancy and is now a growing and popular hobby and athletic pursuit. There are so many of us now…if I were to keep a list of songs other people have danced to that I couldn’t dance to, even if I counted ONLY a random list of 5 “pole stars” who have been around at least five years, I wouldn’t have any safe music left. Dance means many things to many people. A song can mean something different to you than it does to me, and we can both express those differences with our dancing. We’re all on our own journey. We can all take the opportunity to take something we need from the music. The only situation where I would defer on a music choice because someone else is using it is in a competition or showcase situation where it would mean two people in the same show using the same song, and the reasons are different there.

• tamikat

November 19, 2013 at 10:28 am

getting songs from other people is how i grow my playlist. i come across something daily that i have never heard before because someone else danced to it. now copying someones choreography move for move to a song (without prior permission and credit) i could see causing a problem.

• Jacki C

November 19, 2013 at 11:12 am

For the past 5 months or so the only songs I purchase have been songs I saw another poler dance to. Especially if I loved their dance and thought they did a kick ass job at it. It makes me want to dance to it too! With that in mind, if someone saw a dance I did and did a dance to the same song I would be flattered, to me it means they liked my dance. Also, I am horrible at choreography, I can barely copy my own, much less someone else’s. So I don’t worry about that aspect. 🙂

• tamikat

November 19, 2013 at 11:30 am

LOL! im horrible with it as well. in my case if i see something and the whole routine was awesome ill ask the instructor (if it was for a class) if they mind if i learn it, especially if im going to post the video. i dont want to flaunt their material in a video and not have permission

• Charley

November 19, 2013 at 11:34 am

For my festival I’m just not allowing song holding. Basically I have 50 songs to deal with and I do feel like performers and my festival is a lot of new performers, should be able to express themselves to whatever they want. With that many performances it would be too easy for someone’s first choice to be taken and even second and I would hate for someone to not be able to do their best or not be able to connect because they were forced to pick something that didn’t do it for them. In competitive environments I get it though because ya comparative.

I’ve also heard people say to never compete to a song made iconic like Felix’s goo goo dolls routine because judges will be thinking about her and comparing. That makes me sad in a way.

• HilaryKate aka LolaSlaytor

November 19, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I think it’s completely ridiculous to be possessive over a song just because you’ve danced to it before!! I agree with what’s been said about copying choreography – that’s an issue. We’ve all learned combos from things we’ve seen in performances at some point, so I think that’s ok, but the issue is taking entire sequences and copying them or trying to play it off as your own. I personally get intimidated to try to dance publicly to the same song as any really well recognized performance (like Felix’s Goo Goo Dolls routine) because I don’t want feel as though I haven’t done it justice – but that’s just my own judgement on myself, and I think it will start to ease as I get more comfortable with choreography and my own movement and expression.