StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions So Frustrated

• So Frustrated

Posted by hookedonpole on May 17, 2015 at 1:36 am

I am so frustrated. Been working on another performance routine for studio showcase in July and the awesome NCPP showcase in San Jose (will do same choreo for both events). I started couple months ago because it doesn’t come easy for me and I need a lot of time.

I have been sick for few weeks and not able to pole or work out, but today felt well enough to practice for about an hour and a half (even though I did get tuckered out!) Anyway, just doesn’t seem to be getting any better. I am “not” a pole dancer and it’s a big struggle. I recorded today’s run-throughs and it’s horrible. Also, there is a 3:30 limit (with 10 second grace) and it’s hard for me to fit transitions, pole moves (which is my strength compared to dance/transitions), AND include some spin mode, as suggested at last year’s NCPP feedback from the judges. It’s a showcase, not competition, but can perform with judge’s feedback. FYI I don’t usually pole on spin mode, never felt the need or desire, especially when I took a spin mode class at Expo last year and got so sick to my stomach from dizzy! I’m going to just walk to spin pole and back to static, no dancey stuff to and fro from me, so trying not to look like a dufus!

Anyway, I hope I can get this together. It was so much fun last year (even with horrible nervousness) and excited to do it again. However, it also frustrates me that it’s a huge struggle. Time flies and need to feel it’s coming together in the next month or so.

Thanks for letting me vent 🙂

hookedonpole replied 9 years ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • MizMacy

May 17, 2015 at 8:28 am

I can understand that frustration! Just did my first competition at my studio last night and putting it together the last 2 weeks has been crazy. I think you have to stick with the moves you are good at and just work to connect them. Are you allowed to climb on the spinning pole because that may allow you to use it without really spinning too much. Or maybe a really slow pretty spin?
    Anyway, I’m new to this so take my advice for what it’s worth. Luckily someone talked me out of changing my whole routine the day before haha.
    To me it’s a huge accomplishment just to sign up and perform cuz not everyone can do that. Bring your own style and confidence to it and you will be great! Sending positive thoughts your way during this preparation process. You got this!

• RaspberryAlice

May 17, 2015 at 11:59 am

I was set to perform in my old studio’s grand opening of their new studio a year and half ago. I spent months going absolutely mental over everything, exactly like MizMacy. Then the month before the show I told the teacher I would not be doing my performance. Devastated her and cause a rather big rift between us. Its been 2yrs since then and I immensely regret ever backing out.
    Learn from my mistake. Be you. Even if you think it’s not good enough, not perfect, not worthy….just do it. Make sure it’s something YOU enjoy. Don’t let the negative mental tape destroy something you’ll regret even more if you don’t do it. Good luck & creative vibes!

• hookedonpole

May 17, 2015 at 11:14 pm

I should clarify; in my post I stated “I started couple months ago”. You may realize this, but I meant I started couple months ago preparing and practicing putting my routine together. Thanks to those who have posted words of encouragement.

MizMacy, the confidence part is REALLY tough. Thanks for the encouragement. RasberryAlice, thank you, too. Last year I also almost backed out of the NCPP showcase, and glad I didn’t. It ended up being so much fun, that’s why I want to do it again. I panic because I know time goes by so fast and I feel I should have accomplished more by now, too hard on myself. I don’t really care about performing and maybe after getting through this one, I’ll think more than twice about performing. I don’t like this feeling and takes fun away.