StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Slippery feet – The Star

• Slippery feet – The Star

Posted by Polecat88 on October 12, 2011 at 2:35 am

I've been trying to get the star for a while now and I'm completely fine with the variation veena does in one of her vids where the leg presses against the pole, however if I try to do the variation with my FOOT resting on the pole I slide around everywhere and I can't keep my grip.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

RoseMay replied 12 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • MichelleH

October 12, 2011 at 5:53 am

I can do the one with the foot resting against the pole, but I can’t do it with ankle against pole! Some things that might help; get used to the position by first holding above the knee hook, then below the knee hook. Next step in the progression is to use the same hand as knee to hold the ankle. This keeps your top knee really locked onto the pole. Only then would I progress into both hands off the pole.

The other thing that really makes a difference to this move is pushing your hips forward. Your kneepit must be as close to the pole as possible for a really good grip, readjust a bit if its not deep enough. The bottom foot is not going to hold you up as much as it just stabilises you. Without seeing a picture, it doe sound like bringing your 2 knees closer, pushing your hips forward and really getting the pole deep in your kneepit may help?

• MichelleH

October 12, 2011 at 5:54 am

I can do the one with the foot resting against the pole, but I can’t do it with ankle against pole! Some things that might help; get used to the position by first holding above the knee hook, then below the knee hook. Next step in the progression is to use the same hand as knee to hold the ankle. This keeps your top knee really locked onto the pole. Only then would I progress into both hands off the pole.

The other thing that really makes a difference to this move is pushing your hips forward. Your kneepit must be as close to the pole as possible for a really good grip, readjust a bit if its not deep enough. The bottom foot is not going to hold you up as much as it just stabilises you. Without seeing a picture, it doe sound like bringing your 2 knees closer, pushing your hips forward and really getting the pole deep in your kneepit may help?

• PaulettePoles

October 12, 2011 at 6:03 am

I know what you are talking about! Just had a workshop w Becca Butcher- had the same problem working on her cupid fall-  wasnt a position problem was wet slippery feet! lol- She had me wash my foot off w alcohol and put dry hands on my foot! (she wasnt kidding)  lol- Worked for a couple minutes

• Polecat88

October 12, 2011 at 10:00 am

lol thanks paulette, yeah that's me sweaty feet! yummy!

Since I can do it with the ankle i think it's a wet foot rather than a position problem.

• Veena

Administrator
    October 12, 2011 at 10:14 am

I think it’s best to use the lower calf/ankle area, then you can do this move with heels!! 🙂

• PaulettePoles

October 12, 2011 at 10:32 am

That sounds good, I need to try that. It never even ocured to me how you would do it with heels! I was so focused on my foot! 🙂

• Polecat88

October 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Thanks veena, I'm glad you recommend this variation as it's the only one I can do handsfree without sliding about! I will stick to what I know. x

• RoseMay

October 13, 2011 at 12:47 am

I too have problems with this move. I can do it with my foot against the pole (but I'm sliding down). If I try it with the calf against the pole I just can't get the calf on the pole! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif Is this about (middle split) flexibility?