StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Slippery Pole – I’ve tried a million things!

• tielz18896

December 9, 2019 at 4:44 pm

Wiping with the alcohol/water cleans the oils off of it so it is less slippery. Just put a 50/50 mixture in a spray bottle, mist, and wipe dry.

• tielz18896

December 9, 2019 at 4:48 pm

I think it all comes down to what grip aid works with your skin and the type of metal. I was going through bottles of the other stuff versus having this same pad for a year now. It helped that I bought a brass pole for home. That solves the sweaty hands thing for me. Brass just works for my hands. It would not be possible for me to do drops on it, but I don’t do those anyhow. I do have to clean and reapply any grip aid on chrome.

• StrangeFox

December 13, 2019 at 1:31 am

Seconding what tielz says – it’s all about what works with your skin! I would love it if someone did a scientific study on this…

I actually find I stick better to chrome. Brass is always a little slick for me. The first studio I went to only had brass and I had so much trouble with grip I didn’t want to try chrome because I’d heard it was much more slippery. I even bought a brass pole. I was convinced to buy a chrome pole and was shocked at how freaking grippy it was for me. For grip aids, sometimes I use a bit of dry hands, or I’ll use shaving cream and hair spray, or glycerin right after I shower if I’m really dry (I have super dry skin). The body grips I’ve tried just don’t work.

Looking back I’ve wasted so much money on grips that I just can’t use, and now I have a pole I barely use anymore because the metal just doesn’t like my skin. It really sucks that we have to spend so much money trying all of this stuff out just to find what works for us. Let us know how those grips work out for you!

• katie8770

December 13, 2019 at 3:15 pm

It’s nice to know I’m not the only one struggling with this, but I still wish there was a common fix! I feel like I’m the only one at pole class struggling. I wore my gloves the last two classes (which feels a tad embarrassing tbh) and I of course stuck no problem. But I don’t want to have to use them forever.

The carpe lotion and lupit pad are on their way so I’ll give those a try and I’ll let you know my results!

Maybe someone else can benefit from finding all these posts at some point 🙂

• katie8770

January 30, 2020 at 4:55 pm

Hey guys! I wanted to make sure I posted an update here when I found a solution, so if anyone else comes along at some point it might help them.

@StrangeFox you have saved me! Haha

I have been using Carpe daily (just a little bit each night) and it has done WONDERS at pole class. I haven’t had to wear my gloves ONCE since starting the Carpe lotion. I still apply some dry hands but not very much. I have had SO much grip when I went to slide my hand down it wasn’t going anywhere hahaa

Now I haven’t tried my chrome pole at home in awhile (shameful, I need to get practicing at home again) so I can’t comment on that but once I do I can post another update.

But yes. For very sweaty hands while you’re on the pole, Carpe is it. 🙂 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    January 31, 2020 at 1:00 am

That’s awesome. Thanks for the update!

• StrangeFox

January 31, 2020 at 1:25 am

Woohoo! Glad the Carpe lotion has helped! 🙌 It’s so frustrating when you can’t stick. Happy poling, and let us know how it works on your chrome pole!

• Brittanyshanah1663

March 10, 2020 at 4:12 am

Hey Katie I don’t know if you are doing better with your chrome pole but in case you want it to have better grip have you thought of taking fine grit sandpaper to it? I’ve heard so many girls say they do that to new poles. It’s not enough to scratch the pole, it’s just a fine grit that takes off the top coat that is on new poles and makes it a little more worn in?? I’ve never tried it, I have no idea about if it’s bad for the pole or anything but like I’ve said I’ve seen it in a lot of pole discussions elsewhere that it helps so just wanted to pass it along to anyone looking for some tips for less grippy poles.

• StrangeFox

March 10, 2020 at 11:55 pm

I’ve never done the sandpapering, but I would be concerned it would ruin your pole or shorten its lifespan (maybe make it more likely to rust…?) X-Pole swears up and down there’s no coating on their poles, but myself and many others have experienced new pole slippery-ness! It is frustrating but it wears off fairly quickly. Veena has a video on here for steam cleaning poles that might be helpful to remove the coating. 😊

• Veena

Administrator
    March 11, 2020 at 2:19 am

Brittanyshanah, yes, I’ve heard of that as well. In fact back in the day we would get comments here to sand your pole. Though I’m guessing it was more for stainless steel as that and brass were the main finish when pole first became popular. I would not sand a chrome pole.

• Brittanyshanah1663

March 12, 2020 at 6:46 am

Ya I’ve never done it bc I didn’t want to damage my beautiful piole, but the girls in my FB group that talked about it swears that it’s so light you can’t see the part they sanded. I was just passing the info along in case she was still looking for some help, it would suck to have a brand new pole at home and not be able to use it. I would try just about everything to get my moneys worth.

• katie8770

March 22, 2020 at 2:34 pm

I’m actually about to make a new thread about it – I still can’t use my chrome pole. It’s dangerous because I feel myself sliding down but I was having much better luck on the brass poles at class after using the carpe lotion daily (and still adding some dry hands during class).

My chrome pole is just completely unusable and I’ve spent a couple hundred dollars on grip aids as you know and a pole warmer. I’m going to make a new thread about getting it powder coated at this point.

Page 2 of 2