StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Should the pole be centered on one joist or in between 2?

• Should the pole be centered on one joist or in between 2?

Posted by Porscha on August 9, 2009 at 10:58 am

So I just got my new xpole (Yay!), but I’m having a horribly difficult time finding joists. I bought a studfinder, and it’s not working so I think I’m going to take it back and buy the more expensive one and see if that works.

Anyways, when I do find the joists, should I put the pole between 2 joists, or directly centered on one? I’ve read both, so I’m completely unsure of what to do. I’m trying not to have my dad know about my poling, and I think if there was a huge hole in the ceiling, I might have some explaining to do.

Veena replied 14 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Keiloces

August 9, 2009 at 3:25 pm

I’ve always put my xpole centered on a stud, and i’ve never had a problem with it going through or falling.

• Meleania

August 9, 2009 at 7:51 pm

mine is underneath 2 joints that cross

• effini

August 10, 2009 at 3:01 am

If you have a really old house (mine is 80 yrs old) you’ll have a lot of trouble finding studs because they used different construction methods back then.

If your crossbeams are narrow and your xpole top can reach both of them, then do that. If the beams are further apart, you should center onto one beam. The idea is to give your pole the most support and keep it from warping the ceiling.

• azriel

August 10, 2009 at 3:10 am

Most houses in the US have joists that are further apart from eachother than they are in the UK, which means that the pole should be placed under only 1 joist. Otherwise, if the dome sits between 2 joists without being under them (cos they are far apart), then the pole may go through the ceiling.

Find out what type of ceiling you have, because if it is concrete, you wont find any joists and it’s safe to put your pole just about anywhere you want. If it’s plaster, then i think people have said that you’ll have a hard time finding the joists.. but i’m not too sure about that.. there was another post about this recently under the "poles" section i think, that may have more info. Good luck!

• Veena

Administrator
    August 10, 2009 at 3:33 am

I see your in the US, then you want to place the pole centered on ONE stud/joist. The X poles were created and built in the UK and over there, the joists are closer together than here in the US. When using an X pole in the US center it on only one not in between two. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif