StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Should I enter in college talent show?

• Should I enter in college talent show?

Posted by Voodoochild on February 9, 2010 at 6:56 pm

My community college is having talent show auditions this Saturday….I’m torn. I really want to audition but I don’t have a routine prepared! Also I would have to borrow my studios xstage and I don’t really know how to put it together, AND I’m scared! It’s really not like me to get scared about a performance cus I usually get super excited/hyper before a performance. I think I might just be afraid of the judgement and comments I’ll get. On one side I could give a rats a** what ppl think but on the other side it’s something that I’m really passionate about so I don’t want ppl bashing it. Ugh… What should I do???? I would have to totally un-sex-ify (lol) the routine and make it really acrobatic to get the stripper stigma out of peoples minds…I need input!

<3
    voodoochild

PoleSkivvies replied 14 years, 5 months ago 9 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • amy

February 9, 2010 at 7:42 pm

are you interested in doing the talent show because you think you’ll win, you want to perform, or you want to just show people what its about? i would think about WHY because it sounds like your personal style IS sexy, and that’s the type of dancing you enjoy doing… i wouldn’t be willing to compromise that unless i had a good reason. also… you say you are afraid of people judging you– i would be as well, and although i am proud of my accomplishments with pole, i wouldn’t necessarily want a professor to see me pole dancing… yikes.

• MilienElayne

February 10, 2010 at 11:03 am

Couldn’t someone at the studio teach you how to put the x-stage together? Maybe use a routine that you’ve already used before if it’s just auditions and if you have more time then make up a new one for the competition? I agree with amyxshi: I wouldn’t take the sexy out if that’s your style. As unsexified as you could make it, I think there’d still be someone who’ll want to call you a stripper just because you’re on a pole. It’s a scary performance, I think, because it’s not a surely pole-friendly environment… taking pole to a new frontier. It’s like introducing flavoursome, interesting foods to someone who’s only ever eaten peanut butter sandwiches. You’re never going to know the reaction in advance. It sounds like you quite want to do it!

• Voodoochild

February 10, 2010 at 1:23 pm

You both make very valid points. I think I wanted to audition to show people that pole dancing does not = stripper. I wanted to spread the word! Well…Here’s an update…I emailed the coproducer of the show just to make sure that a pole routine would be ok and she said that they don’t think a school is a proper venue for a pole dance routine.

I tried to explain to her that I planned on taking a gymnastics approach but still she didn’t understand. So i guess there’s my problem solved. I’m not upset about not being able to do this, I’m more upset that people don’t understand what I’m so damn passionate about. It made me want to dance for vengance…I guess that’s what happens when you pick pole dancing as your outlet. Ugh it just makes me so frustrated…

I totally invited the lady to come to one of my classes this weekend though! Lol!

• kcfl5

February 11, 2010 at 2:11 am

ugh..Maybe if she saw a video of you of what you would be doing or what you do on a pole she would understand.

• freakiel

February 11, 2010 at 2:18 am

ugh..Maybe if she saw a video of you of what you would be doing or what you do on a pole she would understand.

i would just show up anyways and do the audition to show her what you mean. don’t let people put you out because of their close-mindedness and unwillingness to view things in a different perspective.

p.s. you are one of my favorite dancers on this site. i love your style. a lot.

• Voodoochild

February 11, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Wow freakiel thank you so much! That’s so sweet of you! Gosh I’m blushing https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_razz.gif

I’d like to go still but I have classes to teach that morning and I think it would be alot of stressing for nothing. Thanks for all the responses! It’s those that don’t believe in you and bring you down that makes you stronger and more passionate!

• azriel

February 11, 2010 at 2:35 pm

i’m late in responding to this! just watched one of your vids last night & you’re fantastic! it’s a shame that you won’t be sharing your talent of this beautiful art with your peers, but i bet you’ll have a better opportunity to do so in the near future!.. things just tend to work out that way sometimes- it’ll happen at the right time https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_razz.gif
    (but like friekiel said, I too would just show up at the audition just for the heck of it!).

• SissyBuns

February 11, 2010 at 3:00 pm

It sounds like this talent show wasn’t meant to be for you. The college may not be ready for it, ya know? And that’s ok. In due time my friend. In due time. LOL

FYI You’re a kick ass dancer and it’s their loss.

• GatorGirl4Life

February 12, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I know this is kind of off topic here, but if you really want to show people your passion, why not ask a bar downtown if they would be willing to let you put up the Xstage and do a little performance? I know there are clubs around that allow people to do this without stripping off clothes. Pole Kat in Tallahassee performs every Monday night at this night club called Rain and has posted vids of her performances on YouTube. A school may not be an *appropriate* setting now but perhaps in due time it will be ok. I’d look around at other venues in town to see if you could set something up. It could be beneficial advertising for the bar/club and for you to bring your friends to watch without judgement!

• PoleSkivvies

February 13, 2010 at 1:48 am

I second GatorGirl4Life – a school isn’t necessarily the real world, so why knock yourself out changing it. As pole dancing becomes more commonplace, the school will adapt. So go where you can be appreciated – and don’t change your sexy style to cater to somebody’s false-superiority complex. Dance from the heart and people will love you all the more for it!