• Shoes

Posted by Vampire_Miyu on March 29, 2009 at 8:38 am

Okay, I did look to see if there was already a topic for this one, but Icouldn’t see one, so I apologise if there is!

Okay, I was just wondering if anyone on here had any tips for breaking in shoes for pole? I have platform heels but am unsure of how to break them in for actually dancing on the pole, I can walk in them fine, I just don’t feel confident in not breaking my ankle in tricks! Any tips??

Vampire_Miyu replied 15 years, 4 months ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • SaschaPoles

March 29, 2009 at 2:45 pm

hmm, i wish i could help! im sorry, i dont use heels when im poling https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif im sure others will be able to help though!

• Fleur

March 29, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Are you asking for tips to break in the sheos themselves? or for getting used to dancing with shoes?

If it’s the latter, here are a couple things that may help:
    1. Dance on an even surface rather than carpet if possible
    2. Always keep your weight on your toes rather than the heel, it will allow you to have more balance and control and greatly decreases your chance of twisting your ankle.
    3. Practice barefoot but on your toes when you dance without the shoes, that way you get used to dancing with your weight on the ball of your foot and not the heel.
    4. CONTROL your pole movements!!! If you don’t have crazy momentum and aren’t falling out of moves but rather are moving through your movements in a controlled manner while using the arms and back to support yourself, you won’t need to relly on your feet as much!

Hope this helps! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

Fleur

• pole-twista

March 29, 2009 at 5:17 pm

use shoes w ankle straps ( not always the most flattering for the leg line as can make legs look shorter but def worth it to not have to worry about your shoes flying off while spinning ect or having to worry about half your foot coming out of shoe and twisting ankle)

start low start w 2inch heels onve comfortable/confident w those upgrade i just bought some pretty sexy paltform spike heels good quality is sometimes worth the price for a good sturdy pair of shoes that are made for dancing

take a look at the bottom 2 of my fave heels have a non slip sole which is great but sucks when trying to twirls on crapet ( my pole is on thick carpet)

do balance exersises (not in shoes til you feel more comfortable having good balance in general helps when wearing shoes stand on 1 leg when brushing teeth ect easy way to bulild better balance)

hope this helped

• amcut

March 30, 2009 at 5:27 pm

You may have purchased a sucky shoe. Dance shoes usually feel better than normal high heels to dance in. So if they feel a little more precarious than the average 4 inch pair of heels, then they’re not the right shoe type for you.

BUT, if you couldn’t dance in any heel, then yes.. follow the other advice.

Or, if you really need genuine shoe breaking in, I would suggest doing housework in them. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• Vampire_Miyu

March 31, 2009 at 10:47 am

Thankyou everyone for your tips I’m definitely going to be taking it all on board!! My main concern is getting use to dancing in them rather than just breaking them in https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• Sparklie

April 1, 2009 at 2:41 pm

My best advice for breaking in a pair of dancing heels (ie. Stripper shoes/heels) is to get a thin pair of knee high socks from target, they are about $3. Put on the socks and walk around your house in your heels for about 3-4 days… about 2 hours a day will shape them for your foot. Then start wearing them without socks. The socks just shape the PVC (clear plastic around the toe area of the shoe) so that you don’t get blisters on your little toe or the side of you big toe. Walk around the house in them for another day or two without socks because your foot will sit differently in the shoe… in other words the plastic sticks to your foot and you have to get use to that. After you are completely comfortable with this on something like carpet then start by walking around the pole and shifting your weight. Then gradually move into turns and transitions. As you go along your dancing with shoes will get better.

This is how I break in all of my shoes. I don’t use shoes with straps around the ankle because, for me, I have found that when I dance for long periods of time my feet sweat and the shoe (the heel) will slide out from under my foot causing me to fall. There were a few times I almost broke my ankle. So I personally don’t do ankle straps. If they work for you more power to you. Also, this sounds bad, but shoe brand can be a big factor. I tend to stay with Pleasures (sp?) because they are the best made that I have tried so far. I don’t recommend the brand called Janes. I have broken them in short amounts of time and they have a tendency to cause me to fall more because the straps across them are too big for my feet. There is also slight differences in the placement of the heel. Janes tent to be made like a regular heel in regards to the heel spike being directly under you heel, fine for walking not so much for dancing. Pleasures heel spike is slightly to the outside egde of your heel. For walking, until you get use to it, it can be interesting, but for dancing it is wonderful. Most dancers shift their weight to the outside edge of their foot for dancing. Pleasures are also contoured shape that are more comfortable to wear for long periods of time. In other words they were thinking of dancers comfort and not just style.

• RoxyPink

April 1, 2009 at 3:03 pm

My personal fav are also Pleasers. I also have Jante’s and Ellie. I don’t care for Jante as they don’t have much of support when it comes to the sole of the shoe. Ellie shoes are nice, but the ankle straps on these are too big for my ankle..so I have to put an extra buckle hole. Pleasers are by far the best in my book. I have some 7" ones that don’t feel like your wearing heels at all! Good luck…it’s all about personal preference!

• Vampire_Miyu

April 4, 2009 at 1:50 am

Thankyou so much guys!! I do have a pair of pleasers I love them haha.
    Sparklie – Thankyou so much I’ll definitely give this a go https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• Sparklie

April 4, 2009 at 8:20 am

Your welcome. Hope all goes well with your shoes.

• Rouge_LAmour

April 4, 2009 at 9:46 am

Another vote for Pleaser here. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

I have 7" heel ankle boots which are great.
    demonia are also another good brand, with slightly more edgy looks.
    I have a 5" pair of knee high boots I’ve worn for work a bit.

• Vampire_Miyu

April 6, 2009 at 7:39 am

I love demonia! I don’t actually own any…yet…but I will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!