StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Serratus anterior issues

• Serratus anterior issues

Posted by ShonaLancs on June 14, 2014 at 5:57 am

Ok, so I have had a niggle on the right side of my back at the bottom of the shoulder
    Blade for a few months now which I thought was from doing TG moves. So I stopped doing them. But the niggle has not gone.
    Anyway after some research I believe it is my serratus anterior that is causing me the issue.
    I have looked up some strengthening exercises which I am going to do for a few weeks to see if it improves.
    The niggle is there when I protract my shoulders, breath in deep and has probably been caused by lack of proper engagement and or overuse.
    Has anyone else had this issue? If so do they have any pointers on making it better?

ShonaLancs replied 9 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Jenn1989

June 14, 2014 at 7:08 am

Are you talking about the back of your ribcage? I had the same thing and left it for a week thinking it was a muscle strain and would heal on it’s own, but it turns out I had a dislocated rib that is pinching. I didn’t even know until someone pointed out that it was sticking out more than the other ribs, and I could really feel the difference too. Maybe see a chiropractor just to be safe?

• jsheridan

June 15, 2014 at 4:10 pm

What jenn said is possible. It is more of a sharp pain than a traditional muscle ache. However, assuming it is muscle stretching and rolling and massaging can help depending on injury. Mine gets super tight when I am doing a lot of cup grip handspring stuff. Or tg deadlift from cupid. Or handstands. Basically anything that works it really hard. Some stretches I do are sitting in childs pose and reach my hands to the opposite side of the sore muscle and the stretch where you put your hands on the pole about chest height and drop your head through your arms keeping your core tight so it does not become a back stretch. For rolling, I roll the other serratus muscle right under your armpits where your lat ties in. I also use a tennis ball to get in that groove under my shoulder blade for the anterior one. If you have someone who can massage it, if you take your arm and reach it behind you like backwards prayer hands it should chicken wing your shoulder blade and they can massage underneath and really get to it. It makes me want to cry but feels so good. Let me know if you need more information!

• ShonaLancs

June 15, 2014 at 4:41 pm

It isn’t a sharp pain it is definitely muscular as it is relieved from massage and pressure on the pressure points.
    I will try all of the suggestions above to help it. I feel it is brought on from doing handsprings too!