StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Scoliosis

• Scoliosis

Posted by stargazermomma3665 on August 14, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I have scoliosis, about a 50 degree curve in my upper back and I am wondering if and what would be the best poling exercises for it? Are there moves I should avoid? I just wondered if anyone else had it and what their experiences poling with it were.

Lina Spiralyne replied 9 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Phoenix Hunter

August 14, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Stargazermomma, are you currently seeing a doctor for this? that’s a pretty significant curve. I would definitely check with the doctor to see what is and isn’t safe for you. maybe someone else here has dealt with the same thing and can offer suggestions. 🙂

• stargazermomma3665

August 14, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Yes, I have seen a doctor and because of my age there really is nothing other than chiropractics and exercise that I can do. Thankfully I work out with a bunch of physical therapists and I pick their brains quite frequently. I told one of them last night that I had started poling and she said that it would be a fantastic way to work out as the lower half of your body would be pulling down on your spine during some of the moves. I pretty much know my limitations of what I can and can not do with normal workouts but poling is different. I was hoping that someone else here has dealt with scoliosis and be able to guide me somewhat. I am going to try the back flexibility workout today after my pole strength routine and see how that feels.

• Deesse Jesse

August 14, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I have scoliosis in my lower back. It was diagnosed when I was a teen and my mom went through a whole phase of insisting I have a private trainer to even out my back muscles which really did absolutely nothing (disclaimer, my scoliosis is on the mild side, no treatment). In my experience, I haven’t had any real limitations. I find I invert on the wrong side and prefer hip hold moves to be on my side that isn’t curved in but I suspect that’s just a personal preference that goes with my specific body type and strength. In general, unless you’ve been told otherwise by a doctor, don’t worry about what you can and can’t do. Try anything once and listen to your body.

• Lina Spiralyne

August 15, 2014 at 3:31 am

I have mild thoracic scoliosis but I can’t really help you since I never needed treatment or had any issues with this. I know there are other people on the site with scoliosis though.
    I’m sure both stretching and training is good. If you don’t know what you should possibly avoid on the pole, then just carefully trying out the things you wanna do and see how it feels sounds like an option. You say that you know your limitations in other workouts. What are those limitations if you don’t mind me asking?

• stargazermomma3665

August 15, 2014 at 8:38 am

As for my limitations Lina, they are carrying weights overhead, if carried in my left arm it makes my lower right back hurt and if carried in my right arm it makes my lower left back hurt. Rotating to the right is more difficult as well and bending to the right. Single arm rows are harder to stay level also when done on my left side. That is all I can think of for now but I am sure there are others lol

• Lina Spiralyne

August 15, 2014 at 9:50 am

Maybe you’ll sometimes find yourself in the same situation as Deesse Jesse then, that you prefer different moves on different sides. Then more important than ever to try both sides out often. Perhaps some tricks will be difficult for you due to your scoliosis, but who knows, there may be tricks that will come easier to you than anyone else thanks to having a bit of a “torso twist”/skewness?