StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Rockstar spin

• Rockstar spin

Posted by Deirdre on March 21, 2010 at 4:13 am

Ok, so having trouble with this spin, I’ve watched jillianolsen’s tut on youtube but it’s still not clicking for me. I can do fireman, martini, etc just fine. I’m wondering if this is a flexibility issue…or maybe my quad’s just aren’t strong enough to get my leg up there, who knows?! Tips and tricks? Thanks!!!

moonflower replied 14 years, 4 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Neru

March 21, 2010 at 11:58 am

TILT your pelvis! That’s the huge difference between rockstar and say fireman.
    Try to crunch your abs and point your "tail bone" to the pole.

I think that if one feels restricted by flexibility in this move, the technique is off. You don’t need to be flexible at all.

• LittleC

March 21, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Mentally, what made this one click for me was the hip tilt. Think of OPENING your hips to the side – I’m left handed, so I put my left foot up high, tilt my hips open to the right, and hook my right ankle. Hope that helps! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• Deirdre

March 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Ok, tilt tilt tilt. Got it. Well, I haven’t got it yet, but I’m working on it. My leg definitely got higher on the pole (which was still only the back of my knee, which is now very bruised, lol) but hey, it’s a little scary to lean back like that! I put the pole in static mode to make it easier, now I’ve just got to practice. Thanks girls!

• mademoisELLA

April 12, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I don’t feel like I am doing this spin justice either, even after the tutorial but I will keep practicing… all while chanting TILT TILT in my head.

• Sassafrassle

April 12, 2010 at 7:39 pm

I found what made this move click for me was thinking about the front leg – it’s leaning out like the front leg would be in a sunwheel (or hurkey or whatever else you call it) rather than closed in like in a fireman – I think that’s what gives you the counter balance to be able to lean out and get that other leg up there. It’s a pretty small adjustment but worked for me:)

• Deirdre

April 12, 2010 at 11:00 pm

That’s a great idea, I know that leg feels really awkward for me. Sometimes it’s those small changes (even mental ones!) that make a difference.

• moonflower

April 13, 2010 at 4:08 am

I think of going backwards to get into the the rockstar. I start out spinning forward, but once I tilt my hips I end leading the spin with my back. Hope that helps.