StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Reducing fat but keeping muscle… While being vegetarian :S

• chemgoddess1

December 23, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Dietary cholesterol has very little effect on blood cholesterol.  What we have been led to believe for so many years is being proved wrong daily.  

• Dancing Paws

December 23, 2012 at 4:59 pm

btw don't eat soy, it contains estrogen-like compunds. You can be vegetarian and/or vegan and not eat soy.

• beginner2

December 26, 2012 at 2:31 am

tallicachild,

totally agree with you about fat. They lie to us for like 50 years in order to sell the cooking oil. some people now say that fat in pork is not that bad compared with cooking oil. A  search will birng up many results about to avoid soy bean oil, sunflower oil, even olive oil.

https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/5080f06f-fb98-4962-9434-712d0ac37250,

vegans are not short of good fat. they eat avocado, fresh coconut milk, peanuts, sesame and so on.

• beginner2

December 26, 2012 at 2:34 am

https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/4fba5ee9-ef48-4c57-a255-55e90ac37250,

I base on this chart to say about a vegetarian and a vegan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_(nutrition)

A vegan takes nothing from animals, no fur, no honey, no leather, no teeth….

• michaelaarghh

December 26, 2012 at 3:38 am

Nope – olive oil is one of the best oils there is, but it oxidises when it heats up, so its best to use peanut oil or coconut oil for cooking. 

And I'm sorry AerialGypsy but it is NOT best to avoid animal products. Meat contains all the essential amino acids that we need to get, and is low in carbohydrates. Meat is excellent as far as nutrition goes. 

I suggest watching the documentary 'Fat Head', and reading some books such as 'Why We Get Fat', 'Sugar is Poison', etc etc. Just make sure the sources used in the book are scientific studies and check the motives of the author / filmmaker. 

Also – just want to raise a point about vegetarianism, and wondering if anyone can help me out here. Fish are one of the most endangered animals that we eat – so why do some 'ethical vegetarians' (actually pescetarians) not eat meat but accept fish? I know that obviously this is not all vegetarians – but if you're one of these peeps can you chime in?

Thanks 🙂

• chemgoddess1

December 26, 2012 at 7:24 am

How do you consider fish an endangered animal?

• Camilla Leilasdotter

December 26, 2012 at 8:56 am

Hello again! Well, Tallicachild, I don't eat meat but fish since I like fish but not meat. And as it seams, it helps me eat better. Now I'm eating more vegetables than I was when eating meat, and it cuts out all the "bad" meat that I used to eat. I guess that it depends on why you are a vegetarian, everyone has their own reasons 🙂

@megan12: yep, do know. It gets to me, cause I am the least lazy person I know when it comes to training, but then again I am not the smallest  :/ so I try, and struggle to get enough protein since it works better for me, but I don't really want to eat red meat. And I don't eat chicken and fish that much either, and I get tired of eggs sometimes… Maby should try more nuts? Cause I know that I tend to fill up on carbs instead :/ and even though fruit is good for you, maby not the amount  that I do eat somedays 😛

@Aerialgypsy: thanx! Trying to avoid soy! Am really happy that (after a really long time….) almond milk is available in grocery stores! 🙂

Thank you for all tips! 🙂 find it intresting that everyone has thier own way of seing something as basic as eating 🙂 will check out the "Fat Head" ocumentary as well! 🙂

• Dancing Paws

December 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Coconut milk is at Walmart! I also like its milk and sunflower seed milk.

• Dancing Paws

December 26, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Talla- you get all your essential amino acids from ants too. Simply eating two different plants will go that. The only way to be deficient is if you eat one thing everyday, which nobody does. Quinoa, hemp, chia, etc all are complete proteins. That whole “vegans don’t get protein” argument is a load if crap we’ve been fed by the meat and dairy industry. Try reading eating animals to see what evils go on in that industry. I used to believe all that bs about meat being a wonder food etc, but I’ve spent years looking into it and, once again, we’ve been lied to.

• Dancing Paws

December 26, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Btw vegans do not load up on sugars and carbs. Veggies, fruit, beans snd nuts are a huge part of the vegan diet. I never see fat vegans.

Eating fish is sometimes done be vegs because fish are thought to not feel pain like other sentient brings. It is a matter of preference. Really though, lets not get bogged down in definitions. The only thing you need to be careful with as a veg is getting your b12. I believe it is in nutritional yeast and veg milks are being fortified with it. I also think certain seaweeds have it? I’d check that as I’m not sure…might be in spirulina?

But with the original question, you can eat veg and lose weight if you don’t load up on carbs like bread and pasta. Eat you veggies!!!

• michaelaarghh

December 26, 2012 at 2:57 pm

ok endangered was the wrong word to use – I was more making the point about fish populations reducing dramatically by overfishing, which just generally is bad for the whole ocean ecosystem. 

But there are still fish farms – which is why I was asking. More from a curiousity point of view than anything. 

Okay – so those who are vegetarian make sure you're getting yoru essential amino acids (this is different from just protein). I was more just pointing out that meat is not bad for you as someone else suggested, it's actually really good for you. There's 9 that we need but our bodies don't make so make sure you know about that and can get them in your diet. Plants do have them of course, but they only may have 4 or 5 and in smaller quantities. So just make sure you know what you're eating 🙂

I've read eating animals. I think I see it from a different standpoint to you – our industry is no where near as bad as it is over in America, so a lot of the points about that in the book don't resonate with me. But also – the book is written wrought with emotion rather than fact. He doesn't cite any of the studies he mentions, and a lot of them he just uses "here's this shocking statistic" but doesn't actually explain it at all. Statistics can be used for anything. The book has a clear motive, and whilst it was an interesting read, from a scientific standpoint you need to be aware of what motives books / documentaries have when reading them (like I said in one of my other posts). 

But yeah, AerialGypsy summed it up – stay away from highly refined carbohydrates and sugar and you'll be fine. 

Also – just wanted to mention as well that whether someone is fat or skinny is no indication of their health. So you may not see fat vegans, but that doesn't mean that they're the picture of health. Likewise, just becuase someone is fat doesn't mean they're unhealthy. 

• beginner2

December 26, 2012 at 11:31 pm

https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/4d39f85b-a244-4a56-88c0-768b0ac37250

I don't know if coconuts are plentiful in your place. here i just go to the market where they have machine to take the thick coconut meat to make it like powder and and they have the machine to squeeze to take the milk out.

i heard that the coconut milk sold in box might have glue in it to keep its look (concentrated).

• beginner2

December 27, 2012 at 5:39 am

to https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/4e8c14aa-f2bc-4824-94cd-69080ac37250 and https://www.studioveena.com/users/view/4d39f85b-a244-4a56-88c0-768b0ac37250

Vegans and non-vegans both have sciences to back up.

Sea fish is said to be contaminated with mercury which poisons nerves and brain cells. Garbage, oil spill, chemicals used in soil and to treat crowded livestocks, they all go with rain to river then to the sea.

so people turn into fish in farms. wait. They said fish are forced into shallow crowded pools, same as chickens and hogs in crowded cages. They're sick often so anti-biotics are over used there.

All animals in farms don't get to eat organic foods. if the livestocks are contaminated with poisons from plants, let alone the grow hormones under the name "high protein" for them to reach market size in shortest period, those poisonous flesh go directly to human eaters.

Fish feels pains too. Try hurting fish in tank, you'll see they try to swim away. i have seen fish struggling in wet grasses when heavy rains brought them in from outside my house. Couldn't go taking them into river as they were all over.

More about fish suffering is here: http://www.chooseveg.com/fish.asp

Whether those sufferings are true or just hype by sensitive vegans & animal lovers, no one willdeny that with vegan lifestyle, you don't get involved with the unnessesary killing and suffering. they're very hopeless, have nowhere to run or cannot run after months being forced fed. they're born to be killed . Chickens 45 days. Pigs 3 months. Ducks? Turkeys? Cows? Rabbits? Snakes? Crocodiles? Fish?

• PippiParnasse

December 27, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Just want to mention that, in my experience, calling yourself vegan or vegetarian or semi-vegetarian varies regionally. When I lived in Europe I found that most people I knew there who called themselves "vegetarians" ate fish and maybe poultry, whereas in the US "vegetarian" usually means ovo-lacto but no fish. And there are as many levels of veganism as there are vegans, from non-ovo-lacto vegetarians (who still eat honey and wear leather) to not eating anything with sugar because you don't know if the sugar was whitened with animal bones.

Whichever you are, thank you for your compassion towards animals! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

Page 2 of 2