StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Rate of progress

• Rate of progress

Posted by Hazi411 on September 18, 2011 at 4:59 am

Just wanted to ask…..When I started poling I was learning one or two spins/moves per lesson, so you could say I was making steady progress.  Then – bam! – when I progressed to learning to invert, it took me *months* to be able to do that.  Then I progressed in leaps & bounds for a while, and then- bam! – again!  I now have to start learning shoulder mount plus another mount which I'm not sure what it's called but you stand facing the pole, bend forward so that your spine is aligned with the pole, put your arms up behind you to grasp the pole, then get your hips and legs up over your head.  I think these two may take me a while!  So, my question is, is this how the progress goes for other polers too – or is it just me?  Thanks 🙂

aisha reid replied 12 years, 8 months ago 8 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Lyme Lyte

September 18, 2011 at 8:02 am

The iguana mount. I too have coe to a halt and was told the beginner moves r easier therefore we learn them faster. As we progree the moves get harder and takes us longer. Im stuck on the superman right now and the lunchbox!

• chemgoddess1

September 18, 2011 at 9:22 am

This is normal.  While you are working on getting these other moves go back and perfect the ones you already have.  Do them until you don't have to think about doing them.  Only then will they come natually and flow well when you dance.  It is usually a good 6-12 months after "getting" a move before I can actually add it to a freestyle.  Also if you look through the forum you will find all sorts of people frustrated because of hitting plateaus.  This is a natural course and I can tell you, those moves that you work the hardest on are the ones that you will be proudest of!

• Hazi411

September 18, 2011 at 9:31 am

Thanks ladies.  Lyme Lyte – yes, that's the one, the iguana mount.  What's the lunchbox please?  Chemgoddess1 – I know what you mean about the moves that I work hardest on are the ones I'm most proud of – being able to invert was a *huge* thing for me.  I still have to kick up into it though 🙁  But I *will* get there!  I also know what you mean about "do them until you don't have to think about them".  That is starting to come 🙂

• Lyme Lyte

September 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Hazi, the lunchbox is the opposite of the Iguana Mount.  Instead of going up into the position, you climb the pole and fall back into the position.

Might be easier to work on this first?  I tried the Iguana and….NO WAY!  I am pretty close with the lunch box though…..

https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/4de43a76-ad28-4952-985d-0bc80ac37250

• Veena

Administrator
    September 18, 2011 at 5:12 pm

The Shoulder and Iguana mount are far more advanced than spins!! So it's ok that your not getting it the first try. I would suggested working on the Shoulder Mount from the floor first. I would also suggest working on the Iguana or what I call Pencil from off the pole first, before trying to mount into the position.

Everyone will progress differently. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gifThere are pole dancers who never invert and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I think we worry too much about trying to learn every single move there is, as a result, we loose focus on perfecting what we already know. I would love to see more of a focus on using the moves we have already achieved to express ourselves and to push ourselves to perfect those. A pole sit can beautiful when done with control and grace. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

Working on building strength and cross training by adding something that can improve balance, like yoga is so helpful. It's very easy to feel like your falling behind everyone else or getting stuck. But taking time to work on finishing movements or focusing on basic's is a great way become "unstuck" lol https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• Hazi411

September 18, 2011 at 7:39 pm

StudioVeena, thanks so much for your very encouraging post.  It really meant a lot to me.  I'm not expecting to be able to do the Iguna and Shoulder Mount for a while – one of the women I sometimes see at the studio I go to, says the shoulder mount took her 2 years to get!  If I can beat that, I will be happy 🙂

• Runemist34

September 19, 2011 at 1:36 am

*Ahem* 3 years of pole dance, off and on, and I consistently have issues. I've been working toward the basic inversion for a long time.

Granted, I haven't been able to stick to it the whole time. I generally go for about 6 months, and then have a break for a bit- not necessarily of my own choice. But, after so long, most people seem to be able to get it.

Anyways, what Veena says is totally true- Everyone progresses differently! Take heart in the process!

Getting the moves you have already, and even getting to the point where you can consider working on the Shoulder mount, is awesome!

• Beingalex

September 19, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I find im my own worst enemy when it comes to progress in anything, but especially when its something I love as much as I do Pole.  Im painfully self critical and never believe Im doing as well as anyone else.

I have been poling on and off for 3 years, between having my 2 kids, mainly to help me loose weight.  I went to local pole fitness classes which were fantastic for me then, but I hit that wall where I just wasn't progressing anymore, but also didn't feel 100% confident with what I already knew.  So about 2 months ago I decided to start learning again from scratch, using Veena's fantastic videos!  I began with 1 month of dance and strength work.  moving on to basic spins and inverts, making sure I work on both sides too….  I went back to my class last week for the first time since doing this.  I Managed not only to do a shoulder mount ( which defied me totally before),  but actually held myself vertical against the pole for a count of 5!!!! then controlled the descent.  I was utterly gob smacked! Now my confidence is much better as I know I must be doing something right to have progressed this much.

• Hazi411

September 20, 2011 at 6:27 am

Lyme Lyte – thanks so much for explaining what the lunchbox is – I think that's what Veena calls the "broken pencil"?

Beingalex – well done for getting the shoulder mount.  Once I get a smart phone, I am looking at starting from scratch with Veena's fab videos, too 🙂

• Shellectra

September 21, 2011 at 6:46 am

I think we definetly learn tricks faster in the beginning cos they are easier and more attainable? I learnt sooo many tricks in my first 6 months and then BAM I was just practising the same tricks and failing at getting new ones.  I was pretty happy cos I can do a Handspring and Carthweel Mount and a Jackknife which are the last few videos in Veenas advanced section, but I was still craving new tricks.  I finally got a few new ones in the last month (so like 6 mths of no new tricks, lol) I got lunchbox, pencil (off pole, cant get into it from the floor), hood ornament and swan holds.  I DREAM of one day getting Jade, Allegra and Knee hold.  3 more tricks, 3 tricks that seem IMPOSSIBLE! 

• aisha reid

September 21, 2011 at 7:37 am

Thanks Beingalex and veena thats really encouraged me. I got lots of moves really quickly and now only just started after finally getting a pole and moving and find I’m stuck on Gemini in veena’s order. It’s my strength so I may just take a whole month of strength training using the roitine on here and perfecting existing moves whilst actually dancing for once!

• aisha reid

September 21, 2011 at 7:43 am

Also beingAlex were you already able to do all Veena’s strength routine before you retrained? I thought I was fairly strong till now but realised it’s gone and I can only manage 4 pole lift crunch things before my hands slide-nit sure us grip or stomach us weak?! To think I could do 30 unassisted chin ups 10 years ago which seems like yesterday -i wish I’d known then I’d fall in love with pole!!x