StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Problems with a good pole?

• Problems with a good pole?

Posted by Mindy4pole on August 16, 2009 at 5:27 am

My <WONDERFUL> hubby told me I could get a pole for my birthday https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif , so now I have to decide what kind… I know enough to stay away from the poor quality ones. I don’t think I’ll be moving it around, so I’m inclined to go w/ a L’il Minx… But, I might eventually want to move it, and spinny mode might be fun, so then there’s the X-Pole.

My biggest concerns, though, come from what I’ve seen at the studio I attend. They installed a room of X-poles, and apparently had one fall during a party. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif They promptly got rid of them, and now use permanent L’il Minx poles. I don’t know if it was an installation issue, or what, but that makes me nervous.

They also had the removable L’il Minx’s in the main room, and they’ve had to replace them. Something seems to happen where the outer tube comes loose from the inner tube, and the pole becomes spinny. Now, granted, these are at a studio, so they get a lot of use, but I’d like to be able to use mine daily and have it last. They also have pretty high ceilings, and I don’t.

Has anybody else had problems with their quality poles? Also, I think my ceiling may be a half inch shorter than 8′. Would this force me to use an X-Pole?

Thanks soooooo much!
    Mindy

Mindy4pole replied 14 years, 11 months ago 7 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Castleoutsider

August 16, 2009 at 6:55 am

hmm well

i think either way they both have a chance of coming undone. depending on how u do it.

now xpole states that you should make sure ur poles are secure before each use. which im pretty sure they didnt.

now our minx in the studio are bolted into concrete at the bottom and a steel ibeem up top.. so those are DEFF not going n e where lol

the studio back home i took my family too.. had lil minx set up the normal way.. to where the bottom base didnt have the slide thing…just the 4 point thing(w wood floors) so of course i was slidin everywhere but theyre noobs..

and my friend also had one with a non slide thing on the bottom (a nonslide disk that goes underneath the 4 points) (laminate floor) and it does have the potential to slide .. depending on how much power u give it cuz man she gave it power!

now my xpole.. ive only been on it a couple times and my friends even done a shoulder mount n everything on it.. its still up there LOL

now my only thing now that ive gotten to try a lil minx AND xpole.. lil minx is a thinner pole and by thinner i mean like thickness of the tube its self.. like for expample.. a O and a O does that make sense?

to me i love the grip on the lil minx ones cuz im use to it the xpole seems like its a lot more thicker

i know it is a hard decision really.. and for me i have to have an xpole because i live in an apartment..

i wish u the best of luck tho.

• PoleDanceABCs

August 16, 2009 at 10:42 am

They got rid of their X-Poles!??!?! I would have dumpster dived for those! X-Poles are used by professionals and in many pole dance competitions. Sounds like they didn’t install it properly at the party…

• Mshell

August 16, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I have a lil mynx pro pole and I love it! They can cut it to fit your ceiling and then it will be adjustable up to 2 feet more than whatever height they cut it to. They initial installation took about 20 minutes (mostly because it took me awhile to find a stud) and now it takes me literally seconds to put up/take down my pole. I keep a level handy to make sure it’s straight and check it before each use to make sure it’s stable. You can purchase additional ceiling mounts to have in different rooms if you want to move the pole around. The pro pole also has the option of using just tension and not the ceiling bolt, but I’ve never tried this, it limits the side load and I wouldn’t want my pole to fall while I’m spinning on it. You can also purchase lil mynx poles with a spinning option.
    I’ve never tried an x-pole, but a lot of people on this site have them and love them. I really considered getting one, but the only room in my house with enough room for a pole is my family room, so I need to be able to put up and take the my pole quickly and easily. From what I’ve heard, the x-pole takes a little longer to put up/take down. But, like I said I’ve never used one, so I don’t know for sure.

Good luck making your decision! Let us know which one you get and how you like it! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• Andrea

August 16, 2009 at 2:37 pm

I have a lil mynx and an xpole. I love them both, I really really like the powdercoated lil mynx pole. I bought extra mounting brackets and have them installed around a couple other places so even though I don’t have the removeable lil mynx pole I can still move it around and put it in different rooms very easily. I haven’t had any problems with either of my poles.

• Charley

August 16, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I’ve personally seen an x-pole come down just seconds after the dancer checked to see if the pole was secure. I saw the vid – she was TUGGING on it and tightenng and a second later went into a spinning shouldermount and it came down. this was not an issue of her not putting it up properly or obviously tightening it enough as she was, she had had the pole for over a year at this point.

So all poles can come down, especially poles used in spin mode. I’ve had PS pole come down after an hour or so of spin mode work. The LM pole can also come down because the base can move if it’s not tightened.

So think about your applications. i don’t use spin mode much so I know now to check everything even if I just tightened the pole before using spin mode. It’s not a big deal to me to have an X or PS because I hardly use them in a spin mode. If you plan to do a lot of spin mode action then the LM Rotator is a good option. I’ve noticed that X ad PS are far more likely to come down in spin mode than LM. Just an observation so if spinny is something you’ll use a lot get an LM or a PS and bolt the sucker to the ceiling, lol!

Also note that I have noticed most LM stainless steel poles are really hard to get warm and grippy. If you do get an LM you may want to do powder coated but with that being said the powder coat leaves a lot more pole burn.

Every pole has an upside and a down side. I rotate my x-pole and ps out fairly regularly and I outside of 1 time never had a pole come down. I don’t consider an hour of light spinning to be too much for a pole that was tightened right before the session so my opinion and my friends has been that portables aren’t the best option on spin mode.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 17, 2009 at 4:17 am

I’m hearing that the studio had trouble with all removable poles, right? Here are my thoughts. Charley is right…if they are not installed properly ANY POLE CAN FALL DOWN. This includes permanent poles!!!! Scary I know, but, I have personally had a PERMANENT pole fall down, with me at the top! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif I have use my x poles in many places and have never had them fall down, I failed to tight the dome once, and had it come loose, but it was my fault. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_redface.gif If the studio where the pole fell down happened to have a dance floor or aerobic type floor, the kind that are meant to give and slightly spring back, that could cause a problem if the floor is not taken into account when installing the pole. This goes for the lil mynx too. The same goes for carpeted floors…you need to make sure that you have put weight on the pole while you tighten it, to account for the give in the carpeting. Tugging on a portable pole is only one way to check if it is tight enough. I always hang on it or have someone stand on the base and the re-tighten again. Then do a few test half spins, that way I can use a good amount of momentum without having to have both feet leave the floor. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif I still love my X poles the quality is great and so is the customer service.

• Mindy4pole

August 17, 2009 at 6:47 am

I’m hearing that the studio had trouble with all removable poles, right? <snip> If the studio where the pole fell down happened to have a dance floor or aerobic type floor, the kind that are meant to give and slightly spring back, that could cause a problem if the floor is not taken into account when installing the pole.

Thanks so much for the opinions guys! The studio WAS previously a ballet studio, so I’m guessing the spring of the floor may be part of their issue. I never would have thought of that!

I’m really leaning toward the L’il Minx — the price (since I can buy it locally), the easy of putting it up, and the lower maintenance are all big points in its favor. I’m planning on doing a video when I get it — I have just the song!!

Oh — and the studio didn’t "get rid" of the XP’s by throwing them out, they just sold them. I would have been the first in line for THAT dumpster diving! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

Thanks again!!
    Mindy